Snowbird Buying Auto from Dealer in FL

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Default Snowbird Buying Auto from Dealer in FL

I am a snowbird from Pennsylvania looking to buy an auto from a FL dealer . The days of walking on a dealers lot and finding many autos available are gone . So I want to shop online for Pa and FL dealers to find the one I want . If I buy in PA the title transfer is easy. The trade has a clear title and the purchase will be cash . Looking to hear from snowbirds that purchased in FL and registered the auto in another state .
Thank you.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEZARIC3 View Post
I am a snowbird from Pennsylvania looking to buy an auto from a FL dealer . The days of walking on a dealers lot and finding many autos available are gone . So I want to shop online for Pa and FL dealers to find the one I want . If I buy in PA the title transfer is easy. The trade has a clear title and the purchase will be cash . Looking to hear from snowbirds that purchased in FL and registered the auto in another state .
Thank you.
You wont be able to take car off the lot until it is registered in a state (either FLA or PA). If you register in PA, license plate will go to PA address. Remember, PA registration paperwork is online and you can print.
Most straightforward answer is register in FLA, then transfer registration to PA. Or keep car in FLA.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Thank you.
Something not yet mentioned. Florida does not have a state inspection. I suspect Pennsylvania does. You might well purchase a car in Florida and discover it will not pass emission check.

I haven't bought a used car in many years. Depends of course on what you want. I recall MANY YEARS AGO, visiting a guy selling exactly what I wanted a Volvo, standard shift low mileage. Just from looking at the car, claimed 30,000 miles was at least 130,000. There was nothing on the car that was working properly. Then there is the, we just sold it but we have. You can find a used car at a good value but you need to be open to perhaps not the exact car you desire. Cash, might not be a good idea. If, you finance the car, you have far more pull if you discover issues. An OLD inexpensive car, the dealer, a private seller may well demand cash.

Amusing, I had a Renault Alliance. When I bought it it won car of the year in Consumers Report. The next year they listed it as cars to avoid. Renault went out of business in the US. Chrysler took on service. I was happy with the car.
I ordered the bigger engine, and I ordered the stick shift far better than the automatic. I had over 100,000 miles on it. It got over 40 mpg on the highway. No
racer but adequate performance. I took it to Chrysler to buy a part, which they did not have in stock. Most every mechanic in the place was shocked to see one that went 100,000 miles.

I decided to sell it. One guy showed up and he wanted me to let him take the car and pay me later. I would be on the hook for liability As I would not pass title till paid in full. Chance of being paid-would be a tremendous surprise. I sold it for CASH to someone else. Far as I know he got great deal. What he paid was less than a rental would have cost him. The car was well maintained and today probably a collectors item. Any still running are well rare indeed.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
I believe that if you buy from Carmax, they will do it all for you. Bought a Grand Cherokee from them in GA when I lived in NC. They did it all. Just sign on the dotted line.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts

Some states including Florida will charge you sales tax titleing a new vehicle less than 6 mo old.

Some will give you credit for sales tax paid to other states buy not local sales tax.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,106 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Thank you.
My question would be why you would want to buy in Florida or PA? If it is because that is where you are, I understand. Auto dealers here are the same as they are elsewhere. Most add at a dealer prep fee and would steal your wallet if they get the chance. Same as elsewhere.

I had an experience near The Villages where the deal was made, and they then switched the Alloy wheels with low profile tires to Steel with standard tires and hubcaps. Car didn't look quite the same when I went to pick it up. Would not want to deal with that from afar.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
My question would be why you would want to buy in Florida or PA? If it is because that is where you are, I understand. Auto dealers here are the same as they are elsewhere. Most add at a dealer prep fee and would steal your wallet if they get the chance. Same as elsewhere.

I had an experience near The Villages where the deal was made, and they then switched the Alloy wheels with low profile tires to Steel with standard tires and hubcaps. Car didn't look quite the same when I went to pick it up. Would not want to deal with that from afar.
There are thieves everywhere. Mentioned were Florida and Pennsylvania. YUP BOTH HAVE EM..
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, snowbird, dealers, title, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.