'SOME KIND OF HEAVEN' You Can Watch It Now

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Default Some Kind Of Happiness

DO NOT WASTE YOU TIME. It is only about the bad in the Villages. It is terribel
Old 01-17-2021, 08:08 AM

Don’t waste your money and time. We saw the movie in Eustis theater.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:44 AM

Absolutely the worst “movie” I have seen. Not a representation of the villages...about 3 people...one a depressed single woman, a man with dementia and his wife, and a homeless man in a van trying to find a rich good looking woman to sponge off of. Not the villages I live in...it started with the fact that people come here and feel younger, mainly because they get involved in healthy activities and don’t sit around doing nothing and people socialize instead of feeling so isolated. Isolation is also a state of mind...you can chose to be unhappy or you can do something about it...lose weight and get healthy, meet people, join groups, even go for a walk in decent weather! So ****ed that this movie even had the cup villages name on it!
Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If that's your takeaway, then you totally missed the point of the movie.

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about my life. I still hate Florida as a state, but I'm loving the Villages Lifestyle. What happens though, if some tragedy were to strike and I'm not feeling so good anymore? Who will say "okay you know what? I GET that you need to not put on that fake smile and pretend life is wonderful. I get that, and you can count on me to GET that, and not make you feel like you need to do that."

That would be an interesting thread to start. "Why I hate Florida".

Would it be possible to have a retirement community like The Villages in a high tax state with massive bureaucracy and regulations like CA, IL or New York?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

I haven't seen the movie. Having read fifiebon’s critique above, I probably wont. All of us have to go thru bad times through out our lives. Sometimes where we are or who we are with can help or even help a lot. But really we just have to slog through it no matter where we are. Since it is a personal journey it usually is boring to others.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

Ithos,
I don’t live in FL so there are probably many things about it I am unaware of.
What are the reasons you dislike it?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
Ithos,
I don’t live in FL so there are probably many things about it I am unaware of.
What are the reasons you dislike it?
I love Florida. I am just curious as to why people hate it.

I hope it is not too far off topic but I am interested in why someone would decide to retire in a state that they despise.

Last edited by ithos; 01-17-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM
Default Watched Some Kind of Heaven Last Night

3 peoples story about troubles they are going through in life who just happen to live in The Villages. Stories could have taken place anywhere (even outside of a retirement community). Movie had almost nothing to do with The Villages.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Thats a good question.
I am planning to retire to FL.
So far, I like most of what I know about it
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
The trailer was more than enough to tell me that I'm not interested.
EXACTLY !! looks ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If that's your takeaway, then you totally missed the point of the movie.

I rented it this morning. It isn't ABOUT "people that live here in The Villages enjoying their life." That's not what the movie is supposed to be about. It's not a movie about The Villages. It's a movie about a set of people living in The Villages. And I'd say it isn't even truly about people living in The Villages. You can substitute that for any close, planned community of people who are trying to spend their lives being happy.

There's a planned eco-village in Missouri where residents live free on the land, striving for zero waste (and doing a pretty good job of it), living in a semi-communal community. The press they present to the public is that of happy people living happy lives in a happy place. And for the most part, that is true. But not everyone is happy all the time. Sometimes, stuff happens that creates a rough period in your life. Meanwhile, you're still living in a place that prides itself in being a "happy place." So that makes you a square peg in a round hole. How do you manage to experience your depression, or addiction, or sadness, regret, mournfulness, anxiety - how do you manage that, when you are being surrounded by people who insist on informing you that you're happy happy happy and life is wonderful and just line-dance your way through the best years of your life?

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about my life. I still hate Florida as a state, but I'm loving the Villages Lifestyle. What happens though, if some tragedy were to strike and I'm not feeling so good anymore? Who will say "okay you know what? I GET that you need to not put on that fake smile and pretend life is wonderful. I get that, and you can count on me to GET that, and not make you feel like you need to do that."

Or will they all just say "c'mon, let's go for a margarita, you'll feel better after a night out in the square?"

This movie is about people for whom a night out in the square, or line dancing, or watching a golf cart parade, isn't going to fix what's wrong.

That's what the movie is ABOUT.

For everyone else, they aren't experiencing anything "wrong," or what's wrong, is easily fixed by a night out or watching a parade.

But the people in the movie - need something that can't be fixed by simply living in the Villages. That doesn't mean the Villages is a bad place to live. It just means that it isn't the medicine that cures all ails, and these are examples of life in the Villages for a few people for whom the Villages is not a cure. For all of the people focused on in the movie, what needs to change is themselves. And they CAN be happy in the Villages - once they make those changes.

That's what the movie is about.
Great review! When it becomes free, I will watch it. It is interesting..... that hatred of Florida as a state. It must be more than the summer heat? I would prefer that The Villages was located in Oregon of Arizona myself. But, I have gotten too committed to TV Land to relocate.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Sage

Great review! When it becomes free, I will watch it. It is interesting..... that hatred of Florida as a state. It must be more than the summer heat? I would prefer that The Villages was located in Oregon of Arizona myself. But, I have gotten too committed to TV Land to relocate.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silliness View Post
I agree. I think that Community Watch would have booted Dennis (the guy living in his van) pretty quickly.
Community Watch is NOT a very effective group - they miss a lot of crime and etc.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

I had heard about the guy who lives in a van, is not a Villager, but a bum who hangs out at the pools, probably where he showers and does his personal hygiene business. Yuk! This was prior to the China Coronavirus pandemic hitting us.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Community Watch is NOT a very effective group - they miss a lot of crime and etc.
I disagree. I came thru the gates at least 5 or 6 times between 1 - 5 AM last year and every time a community watch truck rolled past my house a few minutes after I got in my driveway. Somebody is watching those gate cameras.
Closed Thread

Tags
kind, heaven, watch, info

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.