Speaking of Sinkholes

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Gold member
Default Speaking of Sinkholes

I was in a nearby town recently at the home of a person who has been having sinkhole remediation ongoing for over six months. While chatting, one of the workers told us that his company has been working every day for over two months filling holes by pumping concrete under new unsold homes in The Villages. If this is true, I wonder if it is something that has to be disclosed by the seller. My guess is that it does not have to be disclosed since it would be considered part of the building process.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:12 AM

It absolutely has to be disclosed. When we were looking for our home we came across several that had remediation done & the realtor had to disclose the information. We did purchase a new home. I also believe these are the homes that get the hefty discounts.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I was in a nearby town recently at the home of a person who has been having sinkhole remediation ongoing for over six months. While chatting, one of the workers told us that his company has been working every day for over two months filling holes by pumping concrete under new unsold homes in The Villages. If this is true, I wonder if it is something that has to be disclosed by the seller. My guess is that it does not have to be disclosed since it would be considered part of the building process.

I have heard a lot of supposedly gospel truths from contractors that didn't amount to a hill of beans.

I know from a friend that sinkhole remediation has to be disclosed.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,927 Times in 3,719 Posts

And Elvis was seen at Belle Glade eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Wow, are they on the menu at Belle Glade?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Fried or not fried? That answer will determine the truth.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,927 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Fried or not fried? That answer will determine the truth.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,112 Times in 4,223 Posts

Quote:
I don't know but seems unlikely. After all, the contractors building these homes have plenty of access to concrete. Why would they sub it out, especially if they were trying to keep it quiet? And if the contractors sub out all their concrete, maybe this guys company has been busy for over two months in TV pouring driveways and not filling sinkholes.
What are chances of 60+ sinkholes, all under homes, in an area that has about 2/ year on average? Given the relative square footage of home footprints versus everything else, I would think you would need about 3,000--6,000 sinkholes to have 60 under homes. I haven't looked out the window lately and viewed a moonscape, nor a giant block of Swiss cheese
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't know but seems unlikely. After all, the contractors building these homes have plenty of access to concrete. Why would they sub it out, especially if they were trying to keep it quiet? And if the contractors sub out all their concrete, maybe this guys company has been busy for over two months in TV pouring driveways and not filling sinkholes.
What are chances of 60+ sinkholes, all under homes, in an area that has about 2/ year on average? Given the relative square footage of home footprints versus everything else, I would think you would need about 3,000--6,000 sinkholes to have 60 under homes. I haven't looked out the window lately and viewed a moonscape, nor a giant block of Swiss cheese
Two months of pumping concrete does not necessarily indicate a large number of homes. My acquaintance in Lake County had the workers at his house for nearly six months and they poured nearly fifty truck loads of concrete.

The most interesting part of his story is that he told the insurance company that he would settle for $150K, but they insisted on doing the remediation which ended up costing $300K plus.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,112 Times in 4,223 Posts

Quote:
Two months of pumping concrete does not necessarily indicate a large number of homes. My acquaintance in Lake County had the workers at his house for nearly six months and they poured nearly fifty truck loads of concrete.

The most interesting part of his story is that he told the insurance company that he would settle for $150K, but they insisted on doing the remediation which ended up costing $300K plus.
Even so, in the last 10 years how many sinkholes in TV have opened up under houses??? 2??, 3???. And while 50 loads is a lot, they can run the cement mixers in there as quickly as they can dump their loads
Old 10-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,338 Times in 555 Posts

If these homes are in TV and sinkholes are under them, wouldn't you think that the other on-line news would make a report on it? Something of this nature would be difficult to go unnoticed in a place like The Villages IMHO.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Here is what the Florida Department of Environmental Protection says about sinkhole disclosure requirements:
FGS - Frequently Asked Questions question #20

"I am buying a new home and I want to know if there is a sinkhole disclosure law? Currently the Florida Statutes (Statute 627.7073 (2)(c)) require that a seller of real property is only obligated to disclose to the buyer that a sinkhole claim was made against the property and that the claim was paid by the insurer; they must also disclose whether the funds paid were used to repair the insured damage. Statutes may be modified during annual legislative sessions, so it is always prudent to check the most current statutes (see question #13 above). Most real estate seller’s disclosure forms used in Florida today include a sinkhole disclosure statement that covers sinkholes and earth movements in general. Sometimes it is overlooked. If it is in question, be sure to ask. "

I did not buy a new home from the Villages. I do not know if they use a disclosure form or not, they are not a private individual seller and they are not realtors thus not bound by the realtors' regulations, just by Florida law. If Florida law only requires disclosure of a sinkhole that has been repaired it is not clear to me that a sinkhole repaired by the builder which would not involve any insurance claim would need to be disclosed. And if they disclose would it just be to the prospective buyer of the single home or should they disclose to all homes in the vicinity? Or only if the sinkhole was under the home itself but no disclosure if it was in the yard or where they built the street? Perhaps someone looking to buy in the new construction will ask their agent which homes have been sinkhole repaired and see what gets disclosed.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Have there been any sinkhole that anyone knows of on The Historic Side? We will be moving there shortly. Really even if anyone reported a problem we are coming to The Villages no matter what. Just interested. Feel free to ask your concrete questions of me and I'll do my best to answer your concern...It's a lot more technical than it appears.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHLBACH1@HOTMAIL.COM View Post
Have there been any sinkhole that anyone knows of on The Historic Side? We will be moving there shortly. Really even if anyone reported a problem we are coming to The Villages no matter what. Just interested. Feel free to ask your concrete questions of me and I'll do my best to answer your concern...It's a lot more technical than it appears.
I think there is a large (350x600 ft) sinkhole that backs up to the property along W Schwartz Blvd. It runs along the northern border of TV property behind about 12-13 homes. It's about 1/4 mile east of Lowes Home Improvement Center on 441. You can see it on Google map.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Holy Mackerel. I don't wanna move down to The Villages and have 1% of controversy in my life. I spent my whole life figuring out everything and having to be a miracle worker to raise our family properly. I'm more than satisfied with the condition of our family that we are leaving. They are stable. Not happy but stable. A few people are trying to rain on our parade and have currently brought up the sinkhole issue. The first issue these same people went for was snakes & gators then the weather. I am learning, you guys already there are teaching and I'm hungry for knowledge, please keep the constructive information pipeline flowing. I would like to be ready for the next issue they throw at us. Really I just want my wife to relax and enjoy herself. The people screwing with us just love Holiday meals taken care of and a built in set of babysitters on call, self centered garbage. If a sinkhole gets us so be it as long as we go down together that's fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
months, disclosed, villages, building, homes, unsold, process, concrete, guess, true, pumping, seller, considered, part, working, person, sinkhole, ongoing, remediation, home, sinkholes, nearby, town, recently, speaking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.