Spec home buyers DUE DILIGENCE QUESTION for new buyers

Old 04-27-2024, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
& I'm the opposite. Given a choice I would chose electric for cooking. It may be a matter of what I am used to, I know how to use it, & the reasons often cited for gas superiority are reduced if not eliminated with the right user. I have had gas for cooking & currently do have a gas grill. I can use both.
I guess I can see both. I had an apartment about 7 years ago (after divorce) with electric. I eventually got used to it. The main thing that's hard to get used to is removing a pan from the heat rather than just turning off the burner. I also warped a cast iron pan on the electric because it heated so fast. But I've been back on gas for 5 years and that's what I'm used to now.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,478 Posts

I prefer all electric anyway. With gas just another bill you get.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:37 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Had gas for many years in Illinois. However a heat pump (electric) just isn’t that efficient up north. Being all electric makes sense in Florida where you run your AC most of the time and heat your home very rarely. Electric range is fine unless maybe you are operating a restaurant. Gas grills are readily available for grilling outside. I don’t see any problem being all electric.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:00 PM

I’ve cooked on both, for the last 14 years it was electric. What I don’t like is how hard it is to clean the top of the electric stoves.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

Our place is south of the turnpike. As far as I can tell, most (or all?) homes south of 44 are hooked up for gas stove and dryer.

I'm happy with that especially because it saves time every day, but really the cost to operate is going to be not much less compared to homes setup with electric only. Gas is more efficient, but the cost savings due to low electricity prices in Florida make it almost a toss up.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

I am not sure if it is the ions produced by electric heat but I dislike it everywhere. One of my nonnegotiable items was gas furnace. Electric heating literally makes me sick.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Our place is south of the turnpike. As far as I can tell, most (or all?) homes south of 44 are hooked up for gas stove and dryer.

I'm happy with that especially because it saves time every day, but really the cost to operate is going to be not much less compared to homes setup with electric only. Gas is more efficient, but the cost savings due to low electricity prices in Florida make it almost a toss up.
PSA to recent buyers.

Since they run the gas in the attic through CSST gas lines, you might want to consider adding a lightening mitigation system. Several homes (1-2 per year) south of 44 have experienced minor to major fire damage from lightening striking the gas line.

There is an iron pipe in the garage wall from the meter to the attic that appears to risk acting as a lightening rod.

The process to restore a homes struck and burned takes over two years.

Lightning Strikes in The Villages

Gas lines in the attic in lightning-prone areas

Flexible Gas Piping And Proper Grounding Of Flexible Gas Piping - JNR Plumbing

Last edited by Altavia; 04-28-2024 at 06:25 AM.

Tags
due, owners, energy, developer, interest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.