Speeding Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Sage

The police do ticket golf carts on the public roads (even in the golf cart lanes) for exceeding 20 mph and the fines are hefty.

Also, if someone has goosed up their golf cart to run over 20 mph and they are involved in an accident, the insurance company will not pay off any claim.

Is the extra mph worth it?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum member

I agree with the OP. It would really pay off for the Sheriff's dept to send a unit to Bailey Trail and keep him/her there. They would make a fortune and money well spent. I think it has really been getting dangerous out there.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM

This was a first. At the Mallory Gate, I pulled up to the resident side and swiped my card. I started to pull ahead when the car that was behind me almost hit the left side of my truck. He went to the contractors side of the gate, swiped his card and tried to speed ahead of me. I think he was trying to pass while going through the gates.

It was Not a snow bird. He's a local. I know where he lives because he followed me and finally turned into his house.

If this is a new thing, be careful.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM

I noticed the sheriff has a sign at the bridge. Speed limit is 10 mph. I didn't see too many people doing 10mph, but the sign is there. May they think it's more a suggestion.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

It is most interesting to me that many of the same posters that decry any talk of mandatory seat belts in golf carts are all for massive policing for speeding.

You could certainly make an argument that seat belts are just as much of as safety issue as speed.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
This guy lives somewhere in FL... check out the video. Talk about speeding golf carts!

Hayabusa Golf Cart: 100+ mph POV test drive & owner interview - YouTube
This video will provide EXCELLENT evidence in a lawsuit if and when this guy hits someone, and enable him to lose his shirt in court. Nice move.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM

I was traveling on Stillwater in my car with speeds between 30-32. I was passed on the right by a golf cart!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Perfect
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I have my cart set to get about 22 mph. I rarely use that extra speed but it does come in handy passing the Villages' rental carts. Most of the time, I clock at 19-20 mph.

Those that go faster are free to pass me all they want. I'll even slow down for them so they can safely get back into the path as soon as possible. Sometimes people do run late and do have to be somewhere at a certain time, retired or no. So, I cut them some slack and let them hurry on by. Doesn't hurt me, helps keep them safe and definitely saves on aggravation.
Wow...a voice of reasoning on this topic. My cart is fast but I only pass folks if they're going under 22.I get a kick out of those that speed up only after they notice me passing.I 'll only pass when it's safe to do so and by having someone speed up while I'm passing them really isn't smart!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

What gets me is golf carts that jump into traffic on Morse to pass a slower moving cart.The other night with heavy rain at night a cart left the golf cart path to pass me on Morse.Traffic was very heavy but this person risk their life in those conditions just to turn into De La Vista twenty seconds before me.I also wonder why a person feels the need to be among all those cars by having a street legal cart on Morse Blvd or Buena Vista.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne613 View Post
I was traveling on Stillwater in my car with speeds between 30-32. I was passed on the right by a golf cart!
Did the golf cart have Connecticut plate on rear? If so I was passed by the same cart recently on North Morse Blvd while I was in my car driving 30 MPH.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM

The police and sheriffs department are watching for speeding golf carts.... ticket is high
Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM

Oh it's getting silly… I pulled up to the 4 way stop sign in my golf cart by the hotel on Old Mill Run heading out of Sumter Landing at the same time as three other CARS so I let all 3 cars go first and then I start to go toward the golf cart path on the right--at the same time, the car behind one of those cars pulled out to make a left hand turn… I stopped -- he motioned me to continue and he stopped.. Furious I motioned him to move.. and then I followed him. What is this..I had right of way, he could have hit me… he clearly was behind the other car…I took the defensive view of his car was bigger than me.. Do these drivers not think??
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I have noticed a HUGE increase of speeding golf carts.
Mine tops out at 19.9 MPH.
Anybody got a reason to speed here in the bubble?
These things aren't built for speed.
Golf carts don't speed, people do.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM

I believe an LSV is allowed over 20-MPH but not more than 25-MPH, 49 C.F.R.s.571 and s. 316.2122. This operated on streets where posting is 35-MPH or less. Gas or Electric. Now you must be licensed, insured, and equipped with the safety features as a car. So they are paying for the privilege of use of the road as a car does.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.