Sprinkler water quality supplied by The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2023, 06:36 AM

My hubby cleans the filters regularly
Old 04-20-2023, 06:38 AM

cobullymom: I believe she is in the village of Sanibel which is close to us. She is not from Sanibel Island in south florida
Old 04-20-2023, 07:13 AM

We have that filter too. Never had it look like that. We live in Gilchrist. I clean it every month or so.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:37 AM

I’m down in DeSoto and I’ve cleaned head filters before but not familiar with the inline filter you show. Where would that be located within a sprinkler system…thx
Old 04-20-2023, 07:41 AM

We installed a spin-down inline irrigation filter as well so now i don't have that sprinkler head maintence to deal with or pay for any more. All I do is open the filter valve once a month to clear it out and that's it.

If you live North of 466 you will have regular tap water for your irrigation system and Not the mildly treated reclaimed water that everyone is talking about here.

Last edited by jrref; 04-21-2023 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:53 AM

The filters aren't like house water filter, but small plastic screens mage to prevent visible debris from clogging the sprayer ports. I have a similar issue in Caroline. I think my issue came fro a head that was disloged my lawn mower and junk got into the line. The service has pulled the heads for the line and vented it, but it still clogs. Although the time period between calls has lengthened.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I don't understand why someone would be putting this on a website without any proof that it is The Villages...now this will stir others imagination when it is probably an isolated problem and it will cost more money to investigate the problem...people complain about the price of water...every time they call for a tech to go out without being vigilante and try to get the answers themself it cost us all as homeowners...some of these people think it's free...yes it is at the time but these contractors need to get paid and eventually adds to our cost...it's your home...it's your responsibility...figure it out stop stirring the pot besides the holding ponds are empty...we will probably not be able to water soon so you won't have to worry about your filter trying to filter reclaimed unfiltered water
How could this possibly be the homeowner's problem? The water comes in a pipe directly from a Villages water system. There is no way for contaminants to enter his closed irrigation system other than from the water supplier.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
I am a resident of Sanibel and along with many of my neighbors are incurring additional expenses to have our sprinkler heads cleaned about every 10 days because of the debris in the water being supplied. I realize that the ponds are at their lowest in years, however I feel The Villages should be held accountable to provide useable water for our sprinkler systems. We do pay for this service. I've attached a picture of my "in-line" sprinkler filter that was cleaned 3 days before the picture was taken.

Comments Welcomed.
The answer my friend.....is to use maximum stone coverage. And use centipede grass which is drought-tolerant.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:42 PM

That’s terrible. I hope you’re able to get the situation resolved.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,289 Times in 2,841 Posts

Another benefit of living north of 466, sprinkler water and household water are one in the same. Nice to not have to worry about sprinkler water getting in our pool. On the flip side, we get charged a sewerage fee for irrigation water usage.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

From the agenda packet of the NSCUDD March 13th, 2023 board meeting.

TO: North Sumter County Utility Dependent District
DATE: March 13, 2023
SUBJECT: Approval of Additional Services to be performed by Operations
Management International, Inc. (Jacobs) for the Unidirectional Flushing
of the VWCA Irrigation System.
ISSUE:
Approval of Additional Services to be performed by Operations Management
International, Inc. (Jacobs) for the Unidirectional Flushing of the VWCA Irrigation
System.
ANALYSIS/INFORMATION:
Pursuant to Article 3.02 – Additional Services, in the agreement dated August 20, 2013
(as amended year over year) between Operations Management International, Inc. and
North Sumter County Utility Dependent District, staff has negotiated a contract
addendum for additional services and compensation for the performance of certain
agreed upon capital improvement projects. Many of the projects can be self-performed
by Jacobs staff, thereby reducing District time and resources for the procurement and
oversite process.
On April 11, 2022, the NSCUDD Board approved the Additional Services Agreement
with Jacobs for the development of an unidirectional flushing (UDF) plan for VWCA and
SWCA. Flushing of irrigation system pipelines is an essential part of the maintenance
program for long-term success with irrigation systems. Flushing prevents the
accumulation of small particles and build-up, which can lead to plugging issues. Due to
the size of the VWCA system, the area was divided into 90 flushing zones with a total of
944,044 feet of pipe. To develop the UDF plan, Jacobs performed a flushing test in the
Village of Winnifred (Zone 10) and field data was collected for calibration of the
hydraulic modeling used to create the UDF plan and to determine the level of effort
needed to flush the entire VWCA irritation system (Districts 5 - 8). Data gathered was
used to extrapolate and calculate unidirectional flushing to the entire irrigation system.
It is estimated that to flush all zones, which includes adjusting a total of 3,556 valves
and flushing 1,493 hydrants, approximately 6,000 manhours with a recommended crew
of three staff to carry out the work would be needed. The attached Additional Services
Agreement scope of work is for the implementation of the unidirectional flushing
program for VWCA and will include all 90 zones in the VWCA service area. The
anticipated start date of the flushing is April 1st and will take approximately 50 weeks to
complete. The not to exceed cost for this project is $300,000.Page 67 of 193

You are always invited to attend an NSCUDD board meeting. I am on the NSCUDD board.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 04-20-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
How could this possibly be the homeowner's problem? The water comes in a pipe directly from a Villages water system. There is no way for contaminants to enter his closed irrigation system other than from the water supplier.
The homeowner has altered the irrigation system as they are built for reclaim water so if he wants to capture all the debris that comes with reclaimed unfiltered water that is on him...the villages is not supplying him clean drinkable water so why does he feel that the villages is responsible...they are supplying the same water to everyone and irrigation system needs maintenance...take the hose and rinse it off if you feel like you want to filter it...why does everyone think it's not their responsibility...you own the land you own the irrigation system and if you want to alter it then maintain it
Old 04-21-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
The homeowner has altered the irrigation system as they are built for reclaim water so if he wants to capture all the debris that comes with reclaimed unfiltered water that is on him...the villages is not supplying him clean drinkable water so why does he feel that the villages is responsible...they are supplying the same water to everyone and irrigation system needs maintenance...take the hose and rinse it off if you feel like you want to filter it...why does everyone think it's not their responsibility...you own the land you own the irrigation system and if you want to alter it then maintain it
When the separate irrigation water feed contains contaminants that plug up and damage your irrigation system, then why isn't the water supplier responsible for the damage caused by their inferior product?
Old 04-21-2023, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
When the separate irrigation water feed contains contaminants that plug up and damage your irrigation system, then why isn't the water supplier responsible for the damage caused by their inferior product?
A clogged filter is not damage. It is reclaim water, which is expected to contain solids (not contaminants). That is why the filter was installed. So, not considered inferior.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
A clogged filter is not damage. It is reclaim water, which is expected to contain solids (not contaminants). That is why the filter was installed. So, not considered inferior.
The Villages built the house and irrigation without a filter. It should work as designed. A reasonable person would likely expect water to be free from things that cause damage. A clogged head must be replaced. That is not normal usage.
So some are trying to mitigate that issue by adding an inline debris filter. That does not negate the fact that the villages water supply is filled with garbage.
Closed Thread

Tags
sprinkler, water, picture, days, cleaned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.