IT Status of The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Newsprint is being recycled into electricity.
Some tree had to die first. The accepted slogan is REDUCE, reuse, recycle.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
When I got here, 5 years ago, I was amazed that they had their own system for requesting tee times, and it worked for so many courses. Yes, it took me a bit to figure it out, but I joined a group where someone else did the work. But it never took them an hour. Since then I have set up the tee times myself, and it is not very hard.

And here is the real point, it works, and all the bugs have been fixed. Any new system would require lots of money and lots of time to make it work as error free. (The company I worked for had negative experiences moving away from existing HR and payroll systems to newer programs by third parties. Lots of money thrown down the toilet).

So a new system would be nice, but I worry about the cost and shakedown / debugging experience that we would all have to work through.
Multiply the number of people using Villages.net by $8.00/month (used to be free, btw). No, I have no idea how many people, but it must be in the thousands. There is plenty of money to get a new ttime system (lots of them out there, they don't have to create one), and even have it tweaked for our use. What they have is so antiquated, it's almost funny.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:19 AM

Thats funny
Old 11-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,871 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Multiply the number of people using Villages.net by $8.00/month (used to be free, btw). No, I have no idea how many people, but it must be in the thousands. There is plenty of money to get a new ttime system (lots of them out there, they don't have to create one), and even have it tweaked for our use. What they have is so antiquated, it's almost funny.

It works. Besides, system upgrades are nightmares......can you imagine all the old golfers!?!?!?
Old 11-06-2020, 09:26 AM

Don’t know what the OP is talking about. We moved to TV nearly 5 years ago and every time we go back up north or on vacation I send an e-mail to circulation.dailysun@thevillagesmedia.com (per their web page) with the the date to start suspension and the date to resume deliveries. In less than 5 minutes a get an e-mail confirmation that my request was processed!! Never failed for the many times I’ve done so in nearly 5 years!!!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Shows how spoiled we have become. Nothing wrong with slowing down or working a little harder.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

OMG I know how you feel
I also spent the longest 2 minutes of my life renewing my newspaper and I feel your pain having to buy my movie ticket from a live person who could use the job , I envy some people who have such busy lives that even minutes count
Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,231 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Shows how spoiled we have become. Nothing wrong with slowing down or working a little harder.
I wish that the worst problem in my life was having to verbally give my credit card number to the Daily Sun for a subscription. There are people that you could give them a check for $1,000 and they would complain that it wasn't enough, took too long to get it, why didn't they get it a long time ago, why couldn't it have been in cash instead of a check, why wasn't it deposited directly to their checking/savings account because now they have to make a trip to the bank, why did they have to to to the mail station to get the check because it should have been hand delivered to their house, and on and on.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja966 View Post
I just interacted with the Villages Sun for a renewal of my subscription. I had to give a credit card number over the phone. I asked why no online presence and the ability to pay, suspend, and restart subscriptions online like 98% of publications. I was told they are a small town newspaper and that would destroy that image if they provided that service. It was all I could do not to laugh into the phone. The Sun is many things, an advertiser, housing brochure, lite news, but small town newspaper?
It got me thinking about the “computer” status here in TV.
Newspaper forces interaction on phone, limited hours and snail mail interactions.
The golf tee time system is badly in need of upgrade. Clunky interface, inability to see any open time on same day, generally looks like a 1990’s interface. The phone system is arcane and byzantine. A relative used to pride himself on setting up a tee time for a group of 12. With errors and redos it usually took him over an hour.
VCDD system somewhat better but government systems usually have limited functionality.
It is obvious that this is not a priority for the powers that be. I would think the convenience and 24 hour availability would more than pay for itself. Smoothing out tee time interfaces would make their job easier. Shopping cart technology is mature and affordable. Tee time apps, both Apple and Android are obvious needs. Even athena health care appointments on line non functional.
Just some rambling thoughts.
I saw with my own eyes they have an old IBM 440 with a Unix based system a WAN - wide area network but I would guess staff can’t login from remote. The only things they go outside for is web hosting and renewal of domains. Their systems
are so old it’s hysterical. I don’t know what the Sun charges for their advertising but I shouldn’t have to pay to find out what to do here. Instead of putting everything on an updated platform they pay for constant fix of bugs in the code and updates and revisions.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I wish that the worst problem in my life was having to verbally give my credit card number to the Daily Sun for a subscription.
While it certainly isn't the worst thing it certainly IS one of the most INSECURE ways of protecting your credit card. Lots of credit card numbers are on sale on the web. While the odds of losing your money even if someone steals your credit card number are negligible I can tell you from personal experience it is a real PAIN IN THE AZZ recovering a stolen identity.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Agree, even my lawn care guy accepts online payments. Let my subscription expire for this reason, all my payments are on autopilot.

Also add a concern the systems likely do not have state of the art safeguards to prevent cyber attacks. Imagine the golf system locked down for ransom.

However, a real person answers the phone here, usually on the first ring. No endless loop phone answering systems. Paying for the human interaction vs technology probably is not a bad choice for this market.
My lawn care guy fired me because I asked for online payments and emailed invoices and receipts. Right Donald Fournier?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:26 PM

The Tee Time online system may be a little rustic, but it works. Why spend the money (lots of money) to fix something that is adequately doing the job? Not only expensive, but you'd have to deal with all the potential bugs a new system could have. If anything, they should just do away with the Tee Time phone system, which is really cumbersome.

I worked for TV Sales Department for 8 years and, when I left several years ago, they were just transitioning from a mainframe based system to a PC/Server based system. It took a lot of talking to get them to make that move (not sure if it is complete yet), so I wouldn't expect them to be upgrading any of the other systems very soon.

Also, other than having a sweetheart deal with Comcast, I still can't figure out why they don't provide a Villages wide wireless internet system. They certainly have the infrastructure to do it.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:56 PM

Spouse has the villages.net to make tee times and still has the newspaper delivered. I never even look in the paper any more.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 11-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,231 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
While it certainly isn't the worst thing it certainly IS one of the most INSECURE ways of protecting your credit card. Lots of credit card numbers are on sale on the web. While the odds of losing your money even if someone steals your credit card number are negligible I can tell you from personal experience it is a real PAIN IN THE AZZ recovering a stolen identity.
Credit card numbers are still available to the people in an office even with an up to date computer billing system. Thieves put skimmers in gas pumps that record your debit/credit card info, anyone you pay with a debit/credit card can take your information when you make a purchase so no system is totally safe. I've had fraudulent charges on my debit and credit cards a number of times.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,242 Times in 2,820 Posts

Hmmm, I guess I am old school. One of the many things I like about the Villages is that you don’t have to go online to do everything, and you are not constantly being pestered to download a bunch of apps. Whenever I call the Daily Sun, someone knowledgeable always picks up the phone instead of reaching an automated answering system, and they speak perfect English. How good is that : ) And I absolutely love reading a printed newspaper rather than staring at a computer screen.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, phone, tee, newspaper, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.