Strong sewage smell in Charlotte

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
and there will be more of them---I didn't believe it but my neighbor's motto was " a thousand a day". Just be careful of who you deal with
boat people - (bring out another thousand)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 PM

With a Northeast or East wind...driving north on Charlotte Ct to Pinellas Pl.
The strong odor of H2S starts around the Charlotte pool and usually persists
to the area of Sarasota golf course and driving range , as you drive North on Morse Blvd
to 466A.
This situation needs to be remediated by the CDD9 supervisors and all other relevant parties for the for the good of all the people of Charlotte and the great place we know as The Villages!

Last edited by midtee9; 11-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtee9 View Post
The strong odor of H2SO4 (sulfur) starts around the Charlotte pool and usually persists
to the area of Sarasota golf course and driving range , as you drive North on Morse Blvd
to 466A.
This situation needs to be remediated by the CDD9 supervisors and all other relevant parties for the for the good of all the people of Charlotte and the great place we know as The Villages!

And how do you propose to fix it? There are months that I don't smell anything. Landfills do happen as a result of people living. Are any of you posting active in the environmental group?

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-30-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

We have elected officials and other people with the expertise to solve/fix these issues here and in other parts of The Villages. You use the fire department for fires that you cannot control......and other service people for issues that you can not solve......in the private sector and in government.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
We have elected officials and other people with the expertise to solve/fix these issues here and in other parts of The Villages. You use the fire department for fires that you cannot control......and other service people for issues that you can not solve......in the private sector and in government.

Who might these people be? The POA??????

Do you live close to the area?

Are you part of the environmental group? If so what do they propose?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM

I spoke to the secretary AT THE DUMP today / they are well aware of the problem and our discontent !! For a couple of weeks now they have been covering it with 2 feet of clay , ( her words ) Also are trying a special SPRAY to quiet down the smell .
The smell comes from the decaying vegetation dumped at the location . They have been in business since 2002 .
I expressed our concerns and suggested a 'common sense approach' to the problem , to try baking soda or vinegar . I' bet the engineers will get a laugh out of my suggestion . A simple solution for a BIG PROBLEM !!!!! She stated
They are in compliance with the the Sate of Florida environment Ass. Which regulates dump sites .
While I don't see a quick fix for our problem I do think they are trying to do what is physically possible to quiet the STENCH .
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Thanks golfing eagle and graciegirl.

Ok, one off topic question and you all can go back to the smell in Charlotte thread.

I’m slowing learning all the villagisms. Need help with this one:

Kissing lanai has come up here from time to time. I’ve asked some friends and no one knows what it is. What is it?

At face value it sounds like it’s two lanais that almost touch when two, small lot, houses are back to back. Is that it?
Kissing lanais are just as you thought. Many of the houses are built on postage size lots. Many of these small lots are configured so that you could actually end up with 5 kissing lanais; your lanai, your neighbors' lanais on each side of you, and your two neighbors' lanais that back up to the back of your lot. The way this can happen is that the lots backing up to your lot are offset by about half the length of your lot, so that you have two back lots bordering your lot. Anyway, we are talking so close that you could be sitting on your lanai and visiting with four neighbors using a normal conversational volume. there are a lot of lots that are on the golf course, on a street, a corner, a retention pond, etc., that eliminates one or more of these potential kissing lanais. Also, keep in mind that if you want to add a pool, make sure you have the backyard space to do this. Although there are many "free" pools here, there are a lot of people that end up building a pool in their backyard. Do your homework!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
The strong odor of H2SO4 (sulfur) starts around the Charlotte pool and usually persists
to 466A.
I do hope you're not smelling H2SO4---sulfuric acid, it would quickly have a "deleterious" effect on your respiratory system. The rotten egg smell is most likely hydrogen sulfide (H2S), generated by the decomposition of organic material in a dump. But is still sucks if you have to smell it.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers3 View Post
This in regards to the strong odor that permeated (stench) that was smelled through the villages south of 466A. The odor comes from the dump (used building materials) that sits directly behind the Volusia Golf Course. I went to our district office in lake sumter and talked to one of the officals. His answer was yes, it does come from the dump. The odor (stench) that smells like rotten eggs, comes from Hydrogen Sulfide. (Look it up on the internate. Very interesting.) When the odor starts those at the dump bulldoze over it hoping to quell it. Problem is, I don't believe they do an Air Quality Index Test. (AQI) If they don't, it should be done. According to my research on the internet, prolong inhaling, depending on the levels of HS can prove harmful. As you all know, for those of us who live south of 466A, the dump is now in the middle of all of us because of all the expansion that is on going. I have made at least five telephone calls to find out who was in charge of the dump. There is only one, and that is the contractor who over sees it. I have tried to reach him, but so far, no luck. Maybe the EPA might have to get involve. That dump initially, had not been a problem until they started expanding south of 466A and it's not going to go away. Don't breath to deep when you catch a whiff of HS.
Thank you.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post
I spoke to the secretary AT THE DUMP today / they are well aware of the problem and our discontent !! For a couple of weeks now they have been covering it with 2 feet of clay , ( her words ) Also are trying a special SPRAY to quiet down the smell .
The smell comes from the decaying vegetation dumped at the location . They have been in business since 2002 .
I expressed our concerns and suggested a 'common sense approach' to the problem , to try baking soda or vinegar . I' bet the engineers will get a laugh out of my suggestion . A simple solution for a BIG PROBLEM !!!!! She stated
They are in compliance with the the Sate of Florida environment Ass. Which regulates dump sites .
While I don't see a quick fix for our problem I do think they are trying to do what is physically possible to quiet the STENCH .

THIS was posted yesterday.

Here is a site that might have answers; Title V Operating Permits - Division of Air Resource Management - FDEP

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-31-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Why now and how has this dump become a problem? Just my thoughts and observations:
First, until this year there were relatively few people living near the site. The dump probably emitted odors but no one was around long enough to really recognize the continuing problem.
Second, take a pile of trash in cool Spring weather, add 3 feet of rain water over the Summer, bake it for 3 or 4 months in 95 degree direct sunshine and bring it to a nice "boil" just as the season changes to cooler, with maybe damp, cool morning air, throw in a little air inversion because the winds are calmer or the ground air isn't rising as fast with the less intense sunlight and you get the ground level smells. It is probable that as our Seasons cool the decaying action will slow, disbursing winds pick up again, and the dump's normal layer covering procedures will keep up with the odor releases so the smell problem will "go away" again until next Fall or maybe will reappear occasionally this Winter when we have rainy, muggy, damp days.
Well constructed dumps usually install a collector system of breather tubes thru out the pile of refuge to collect the odorless, flammable methane gas and other odor causing gasses and burns them off above the ground in a "flare stack" resulting in an "eternal flame", but a lot less smells. Some of the really big city dumps sell the collected methane to local power companies to be used in their gas fired electric generators.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Again, from my earlier post->

From the discussion (closed thread) in 2013, they didn't know or think about about the dump.
Does anyone else smell a strong funny smell outside?

The dump was in the 2004 Google Earth picture but not the 1999.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dump2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	55870  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Why now and how has this dump become a problem? Just my thoughts and observations:
First, until this year there were relatively few people living near the site. The dump probably emitted odors but no one was around long enough to really recognize the continuing problem.
Second, take a pile of trash in cool Spring weather, add 3 feet of rain water over the Summer, bake it for 3 or 4 months in 95 degree direct sunshine and bring it to a nice "boil" just as the season changes to cooler, with maybe damp, cool morning air, throw in a little air inversion because the winds are calmer or the ground air isn't rising as fast with the less intense sunlight and you get the ground level smells. It is probable that as our Seasons cool the decaying action will slow, disbursing winds pick up again, and the dump's normal layer covering procedures will keep up with the odor releases so the smell problem will "go away" again until next Fall or maybe will reappear occasionally this Winter when we have rainy, muggy, damp days.
Well constructed dumps usually install a collector system of breather tubes thru out the pile of refuge to collect the odorless, flammable methane gas and other odor causing gasses and burns them off above the ground in a "flare stack" resulting in an "eternal flame", but a lot less smells. Some of the really big city dumps sell the collected methane to local power companies to be used in their gas fired electric generators.
You would be wrong up front about people not living here. I moved in over 2 years ago and frequented The area below the berm before it became a golf course..it was an area where my dog could be herself without offending anyone.
No smell...ever.
Mosquitoes? evenings, awful! Days ok.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
You would be wrong up front about people not living here. I moved in over 2 years ago and frequented The area below the berm before it became a golf course..it was an area where my dog could be herself without offending anyone.
No smell...ever.
Very true. The Sarasota driving range has been there for a while and there was no odor. Even as the Volusia course was being constructed, there was no odor from the dump. This is a recent change. It's good to hear the contractor for the dump is aware and working to address the problem. Let's hope they are successful soon.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
No smell...ever.
In Summer of 2013 people were complaining about smells. Then it was attributed to reclaimed water. Was it ? I don't know, but to my knowledge they are not treating it any differently and no one is complaining these days.

Tags
charlotte, smell, strong, sewage, yarsborough, evening, 700pm, smelled, light, shed, pond, large, parts, smelling, question, past, backs, villas, week, thursday, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.