Stucco on wood frame house

Old 05-01-2024, 08:43 AM

There are a lot of homes like that in the Spanish Springs neighborhoods, Chula Vista area, Delmar etc.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
There are a lot of homes like that in the Spanish Springs neighborhoods, Chula Vista area, Delmar etc.
This one was between the sixes; below LSL.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I'm guessing it's an older home, because there are few stick built homes around. Perhaps there are only a few because the stick built homes didn't do well in the Florida humidity and the only ones who liked them were termites.
Built in 2006.

I assume you mean few stick built homes with stucco. All vinyl siding houses are wood frame construction and they're still being built.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 AM

The Villages offered wood frame with stucco up until about 1998 when they discontinued this construction. We built in 1998 and were seriously considering wood frame/stucco as it gave the additional interior space with good outside cover. When we came to build we were informed that the wood frame/stucco was no longer an option. I could be that there is more movement with a wood frame home which caused cracking to the stucco. I had a block/stucco home in Minnesota that cracked but was easily patched and was not a big problem. If you find a home built with wood frame/stucco, it has to be 25 plus years old.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
This is NOT another stucco vs vinyl debate. I wanted to try to get that straight out of the chute.

I know it is relatively rare, but apparently there exists homes in TV that are stucco, but not block. They are stucco on wood frame houses. I have come across a listing, in my continuing search, of just such a house.

So I am seeking information of anyone who owns or has owned one of these rarities and can give insight into pluses or minuses for these down there. I know here in PA, when we bought our current house 4 years ago, our agent was pretty adamant about avoiding stucco homes (most stuccoed over wood frame) as they are apparently notorious for issues up here.

Again….thats stucco on wood frame. I have no issues, or questions, about stucco on block. Or stick vs block construction per se, unless it is direct relation to the exterior.

If this devolves, I tried.
Even block homes with gables have stucco over wood. I have one of those homes - no issue. I put up a wall, on my lanai, for a summer kitchen, and put stucco over plywood - no issues -16 years later.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjombrello View Post
The Villages offered wood frame with stucco up until about 1998 when they discontinued this construction. We built in 1998 and were seriously considering wood frame/stucco as it gave the additional interior space with good outside cover. When we came to build we were informed that the wood frame/stucco was no longer an option. I could be that there is more movement with a wood frame home which caused cracking to the stucco. I had a block/stucco home in Minnesota that cracked but was easily patched and was not a big problem. If you find a home built with wood frame/stucco, it has to be 25 plus years old.
As stated above, it was built in 2006. Both MLS and county website indicate wood frame construction with stucco exterior.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
This is NOT another stucco vs vinyl debate. I wanted to try to get that straight out of the chute.

I know it is relatively rare, but apparently there exists homes in TV that are stucco, but not block. They are stucco on wood frame houses. I have come across a listing, in my continuing search, of just such a house.

So I am seeking information of anyone who owns or has owned one of these rarities and can give insight into pluses or minuses for these down there. I know here in PA, when we bought our current house 4 years ago, our agent was pretty adamant about avoiding stucco homes (most stuccoed over wood frame) as they are apparently notorious for issues up here.

Again….thats stucco on wood frame. I have no issues, or questions, about stucco on block. Or stick vs block construction per se, unless it is direct relation to the exterior.

If this devolves, I tried.
Purchased Windancer condo pre construction with stucco on wood. Two years later stucco fell off- major law suit- condo owners won - Destin Fl-
Old 05-01-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjombrello View Post
Far as movement in wood, it is the nature of the material. It absorbs and releases humidity. Our styled plastic doors are molded to imitate real wood doors. They were made allowing for the fact that wood moves. The panels were fitted into grooves cut into the rails and stiles. If, you could find a tree big enough to cut a single piece to use as a door, you would not. It would warp.
Perhaps like the old joke a broken clock shows the right time twice a day. Such a door might fit once a year.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:33 PM

Stucco can be installed on a wood, metal frame house. This just one example Exterior-Insulated Stucco | ROCKWOOL
Old 05-01-2024, 04:39 PM
Sage

We are the owners of a concrete block house that will soon be 16 years old. In 2016, the stucco on the gable over the garage swelled and bulged out. The culprit was an errant nail put in during the building of the house. The gables on this house (Lantana) were built of wood with stucco applied over the wood.. T&D's bill to remove the eyesore and put it right came to $2,000. Not a fan of stucco on wood.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:35 PM

We lived in Melbourne Florida for 20 years in a wood frame home with stucco and never had any problems with the stucco or moisture problems. I would be willing to take my sideing off and stucco our home in the Villages. Not sure how much that would cost.

Tags
stucco, wood, frame, block, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.