Stupidity is alive and well

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It has been said, "you can't fix stupid!"
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Gold member

People come to The Villages from all walks of life. Perhaps they have never mingled with folks of different religions or ethnic backgrounds. Maybe their behavior is perfectly normal back where they came from. Does not make it right, in this day and age, but may explain their attitudes and actions. Can't let that ruin your day, they are probably in the minority here.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Platinum member

We can all be offended by something or someone at some point. It all comes down to how we handle it. Sometimes people are just thoughtless without meaning to be. Those who do those things with the intent to hurt are just broadcasting their ignorance and are not worth anyone's time.

Just hold your head high and be proud of who you are and teach your children to do the same. Pity them for their ignorance and leave it there.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
There are ignorant people everywhere. We were in one of the rec centers the other day and listened to a group of old men making racist comments about black people – fried chicken, shooting them etc. It was awful and my grandkids were there to listen to it. you can just imagine how we felt.. We did report them to the recreation person that was working.
There was a guy at our workplace that had the best response to racists that I have ever heard and have never forgotten what he said: "To me, everyone is black. I can only judge others by how they treat and accept me."

You see, Mike is blind.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Sharonga, I learned, even sometimes can't believe it, that some people saying words without THINKING, very often they don't know what they are talking about. I think you should be proud about your religion and ethnic background, and just be very proud to be YOUrself.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I get pm'd about my name more than is needed...Asian seems to upset people
I cannot even grasp anyone doing that; hopefully you're not letting THEIR problem become yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I have to agree with the posters who have stated that they have heard more ignorant comments concerning race,religion and sexual preference in The Villages than I have any place I have lived. My brother was visiting last week as we played golf with a couple it came up in conversation that we our native Floridians and our father was born in Key West. The woman made a comment about her aunt leaving Key West when the Cubans came my response, we are Cuban.
Great response! Sadly too often people like the woman are too thick to even grasp your message; hopefully, those who do get your point feel like two cents, but I wouldn't count on it....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:39 AM
Sage

I have family and friends back home that still use the terms of ignorance. I hear them on the golf course here in TV, although less often as time passes. My take is it is based on fear of change. One human instinct from the beginning of time has been to be aware of anyone different than you. 5000 years ago it was a survival tool. Humans still have it in our DNA. More important than education is travel. I was no different when I left Iowa back in the 60's, but travel opened my eyes to the fact that prejudice in any form is the tool of ignorant people.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Veteran member

The Villages may be DisneyWorld for adults, but we do have our share of Grumpy(s) !
Village of Hemmingway
Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 AM

My husband and I own a home here that is not our primary residence. We've met several people since being here. People need to remember this is no different than living anywhere else. Too many residents want to believe TV is the perfect world. Maybe it's only an older world and many are out of touch. TV appears to have the same problems you would find in any other small town. Enjoy yourselves. If you meet someone that offends you, stay away.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Sharonga, you do know that the vast majority of us here don't feel like that, right? All of us have something that others make fun of. Personally, I just stay away from socially 'stinky' people. They foul the air but don't invade the soul.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.