Sumter County Library

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,319 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp000 View Post
I just got a phone call from the head Librarian at the Lady Lake branch of Lake County Library. Her name is Marsha and she stated that they are getting a lot of phone calls about Sumter Country Library dropping Overdrive. They do not have a reciprocal agreement with Sumter County because they are just not up to par with the rest of the state. Since they have no agreement with Sumter County, to get a library card from Lake County it cost $40.00 per year for the whole household. That seems to me a good deal. I check the Free Library in Philadelphia and it costs $50.00.
Lady Lake Library was very friendly and wanted my business. They seemed to care, not like Sumter County.
Lady Lake Library cards are free for residents of Lake, Marion, Seminole, and Volusia counties. Non residents must pay a fee. The application is online but you must pickup the card in person with proof of residency. There is a list of acceptable proof very similar to the DMV list.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

LSSI Begins Operations at Sumter County Libraries | Library Systems & Services, LLC
Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

I am pretty sure Sumter County privatized its libraries a couple of years ago, outsourced management to a private company.

Marian Boomer
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I am pretty sure Sumter County privatized its libraries a couple of years ago, outsourced management to a private company.

Marian Boomer
Wish I had said that.......

Library Systems & Services (LSSI) is a private for-profit company that manages municipal libraries on an outsourced basis.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Sage
Default Library Company

Can't post a link.(not allowed) Go to other site and click "SEARCH FOR STORIES" Search "LSSI" There are several stories.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 AM

I've been trying to call LSSI at their 800 phone # 800-638-8725 extension #2236 for customer relations to voice my displeasure in the changing to Axis 360. We are a 2 kindle family and the old paper white will not support axis 360. My old "fire" works erractly with the new system.....but wait...I'm just now sending back to Amazon a brand new Fire HD that will not download the Axis 360 app! I was on kindle tech support for hours to no avail.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Gold member
Default If you can, keep your library card from up north

or wherever you moved from. There are multiple reasons why property taxes in Florida are so low (schools, libraries and trash collection are some reasons).

We are seasonal, although Florida residents, and I am very thankful we have access to the Columbus (Ohio) Metropolitan Library system, always ranked one of the top 5 (this year I think #1 again).

We do appreciate the low property taxes here, but in some cases you get what you pay for. Would probably be worth the drive to Gainesville (suggest combining it with a stop at Trader Joe's and maybe the Botanical Gardens there or walk around U of F's campus or maybe a stop for lunch/shopping in Micanopy, although it's been a few years since I've been there).
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Default Re: Sumter Co library

FYI people, the Sumter Co library is run by a COMPANY from up north that got a contract with the county. They are NOT a non-profit, so don't expect any consideration that doesn't benefit them.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Sage
Default Sumter County Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
or wherever you moved from. There are multiple reasons why property taxes in Florida are so low (schools, libraries and trash collection are some reasons).

We are seasonal, although Florida residents, and I am very thankful we have access to the Columbus (Ohio) Metropolitan Library system, always ranked one of the top 5 (this year I think #1 again).

We do appreciate the low property taxes here, but in some cases you get what you pay for. Would probably be worth the drive to Gainesville (suggest combining it with a stop at Trader Joe's and maybe the Botanical Gardens there or walk around U of F's campus or maybe a stop for lunch/shopping in Micanopy, although it's been a few years since I've been there).

You do get what you pay for in the end. I consider myself extremely fortunate to live in TV despite having grown up in the Boston area.

I can access any library resource I really want or need - some for cost - many by private companies. I just don't understand all the hand wringing about a software access program to read a book that is likely otherwise available. Are we so into the fast food culture that a book you can hold in your hands is a piece of trash? Live in Gainesville if that suits your needs.

This isn't Gainesville, Boston, NYC or wherever it is that we are missing. I read/skim 5 newspapers a day. My favorite is the Daily Sun. There is just something about holding and folding a news paper each day.

And I am absolutely happy to be here.

And PS - there isn't anything wrong with the trash collections here. You can actually have a conversation with the men involved if you try.

Last edited by dbussone; 01-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Sage

I have been using overdrive on iPad, nook, and kindle fire for several years...to read ebooks from Sumter Library and "free" library of Philadelphia. It has worked fine and reliably. Now, Sumter has forced us to change to Axis. Some Google research shows that axis is less expensive for them and more efficient for the library in buying books and managing their collection.

So, today I loaded axis on iPad and nook...no problem and, actually, I like the reader software a little better. Would not load on my 5th generation Kindle HD. Again, professor Google had the answer ...had to side load the app out side the Amazon App Store and it works fine. But, it definitely won't work on the paper white versions of Kindle. It is what it is, required change...some features better, some features lost.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Eternal Member

The good news is that many of the newer hard back books are available. I was told I had two to pick up today and I just put them on my hold list on Sunday.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I have been using overdrive on iPad, nook, and kindle fire for several years...to read ebooks from Sumter Library and "free" library of Philadelphia. It has worked fine and reliably. Now, Sumter has forced us to change to Axis. Some Google research shows that axis is less expensive for them and more efficient for the library in buying books and managing their collection.

So, today I loaded axis on iPad and nook...no problem and, actually, I like the reader software a little better. Would not load on my 5th generation Kindle HD. Again, professor Google had the answer ...had to side load the app out side the Amazon App Store and it works fine. But, it definitely won't work on the paper white versions of Kindle. It is what it is, required change...some features better, some features lost.

Thanks for your review
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Just got back from the Lady Lake library. Nice people and a larger library. It's worth $40 a year to stay with overdrive. Sorry Sumter County, you lost me.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM

I'm reading a library book book on Axis. It doesn't seem to keep track of where I stopped reading and goes back to beginning. I have to set a bookmark manually every time. Am I missing something?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

How does the ebook collection at Lady Lake compare to the Sumter Library?
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Closed Thread

Tags
axis, library, sumter, county, e-reader, works, color, paper, work, white, ebooks, readers, server, book, market, hardback, eliminate, reader, popular, administrator, e-readers, asked, bright, back, sunlight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.