Sumter County Sheriff Office Update

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Sumter County Sheriff Office Update

This morning we had an extremely positive and informative meeting with Lt. Hayworth from the Sumter County Sheriff's office. I explained that it would be wonderful to be notified directly from the Sumter Sheriff's Office regarding criminal activity and direct online notifications from the sheriff.

I also explained that I've been talking to TOTV Admin here and unfortunately, they do not have an RSS feed so the updates could be populated automatically.

Lt. Hayworth explained that at the end of this month, there will be major changes in the Sumter County Sheriff's Office. They will be transferring to a new operating system from a national vendor called "SMART COP". It will be a complete transition.

I asked him if he would be willing to contact AngieFox to give weekly updates (after I asked Angie to kindly be the contact person since I am in Swimdawg North most of the time). He agreed to call Angie every Monday and she will give weekly updates from the Sumter County Sheriff's Office here on TOTV.

Lt. Hayworth was very informative and kind to spend over 45 minutes with us. He had a wealth of information and there's not enough room on this post for everything. He emphasized V.O.P. Be VIGILANT; Be OBSERVANT; Be PERSISTENT (and a little patient as well). Burglars operate out of opportunity. Lock your doors.....car door, house doors; don't leave anything of value in your golf cart. BE VOP!

He did mention that most of the burglaries do happen in the newer areas where building is still going on.

He was a wealth of information. It was truly an hour well spent.

And YES! TV is certainly one of the safest areas to live in..........but we can't let down. We must be VOP

(My name is Karen)

Last edited by swimdawg; 01-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Thank you so much for the info. We just purchased in Collier and after these postings lately, I have been very nervous to move in.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Sage

You're kidding, right ??
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
This morning we had an extremely positive and informative meeting with Lt. Hayworth from the Sumter County Sheriff's office. I explained that it would be wonderful to be notified directly from the Sumter Sheriff's Office regarding criminal activity and direct online notifications from the sheriff.

I also explained that I've been talking to TOTV Admin here and unfortunately, they do not have an RSS feed so the updates could be populated automatically.

Lt. Hayworth explained that at the end of this month, there will be major changes in the Sumter County Sheriff's Office. They will be transferring to a new operating system from a national vendor called "SMART COP". It will be a complete transition.

I asked him if he would be willing to contact AngieFox to give weekly updates (after I asked Angie to kindly be the contact person since I am in Swimdawg North most of the time). He agreed to call Angie every Monday and she will give weekly updates from the Sumter County Sheriff's Office here on TOTV.

Lt. Hayworth was very informative and kind to spend over 45 minutes with us. He had a wealth of information and there's not enough room on this post for everything. He emphasized V.O.B. Be VIGILANT; Be OBSERVANT; Be PERSISTANT (and a little patient as well). Burglars operate out of opportunity. Lock your doors.....car door, house doors; don't leave anything of value in your golf cart. BE VOB!

He did mention that most of the burglaries do happen in the newer areas where building is still going on.

He was a wealth of information. It was truly an hour well spent.

And YES! TV is certainly one of the safest areas to live in..........but we can't let down. We must be VOB!
I think we all felt the time was well spent!

I felt it was a very productive meeting. While I'm not happy about the break-ins. I felt reassured that this is a problem that appears to be connected to new construction and, while everyone needs to keep their ears and eye open, those of us south of 466A need to be particularly mindful of who is in our hoods!

I know I've talked to a lot of people who sleep with their windows open and don't lock their doors. Lt. Hayworth said that while we live in a VERY safe place it's always prudent to lock up. The best deterrent is a locked door.

Lt. Hayworth suggested that when you leave your home you keep a TV or radio on... People will think you are just in the back of the house and don't hear the door.

He mentioned that too people don't lock up their golf clubs and that people feel so safe here, they leave their wallets and purses in their open carts. This IS one of the safest places to live, however, He said we are way too trusting and invite crime by not doing due diligence.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Sage

I'm sorry... one more thing.

When you hear about the break-ins. Send that information to the contact person in your hood to forward to the rest of the neighborhood. Not everyone reads TOTV and it's important that everyone know what's going on. You will be amazed at how fast those emails travel

Also, if you want to know about a break in you can call 452-459-1600 and ask for records. They will be able to give you that information.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Sage
Default Thank you

Swimdawg and AngieFox .
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

While most of the break-ins have been occurring during the day, don't kid yourself, it will happen at night. Yes, of course locked doors are a deterrent lights are second best.

Our regulations say we cannot have a lamp post in the back yard because the light will bother neighbors. I don't know of anyone who sleeps with their blinds or drapes open. The rule is ridiculous because the back of our homes is desolate and extremely dark. Personally -- I have never lived anywhere without a light in the rear of my house. We also put our front door/garage lights on an in-the-wall timer so they are on every evening. For the few extra cents -- better safe than sorry.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
While most of the break-ins have been occurring during the day, don't kid yourself, it will happen at night. Yes, of course locked doors are a deterrent lights are second best.

Our regulations say we cannot have a lamp post in the back yard because the light will bother neighbors. I don't know of anyone who sleeps with their blinds or drapes open. The rule is ridiculous because the back of our homes is desolate and extremely dark. Personally -- I have never lived anywhere without a light in the rear of my house. We also put our front door/garage lights on an in-the-wall timer so they are on every evening. For the few extra cents -- better safe than sorry.

We have had back lights attached to the back of BOTH of our Villages homes. Maybe a light post is not allowed but lights attached to your home are allowed. More lights make all property safer.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

I sleep with my blinds open as well as my window. I have a very large dog that sleeps under that window. So if someone was creeping around out back he would surely alert. Why not get a solar motion detector light to put on the back of your house that will shine brightly if someone is back there.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post

When you hear about the break-ins. Send that information to the contact person in your hood to forward to the rest of the neighborhood. Not everyone reads TOTV and it's important that everyone know what's going on. You will be amazed at how fast those emails travel

Also, if you want to know about a break in you can call 452-459-1600 and ask for records. They will be able to give you that information.

I quote Meta Mintons updates so that the verbage doesn't get changed. If not then it becomes like the game of telephone. I heard, she said, it was reported. Meta Minton is very precise and trustworthy.

Jewelry stolen in latest burglary in The Villages

January 13, 2014 By Meta Minton 13 Comments
Jewelry was stolen from a home sometime Sunday morning in the 500 block of Callahan Drive in the Village of Charlotte.
The front door of the home was kicked in sometime while the homeowners were out between 8:45 and 10 a.m., said Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff’s. The sheriff’s office was contacted at 10:29 a.m. that morning.
It appeared that the burglars also gained access to a safe stored in a spare bedroom closet. It was unclear what was removed from the safe.
This makes nine burglaries which have taken place in roughly the past two months in The Villages.
The burglaries have occurred on the following dates:
• Nov. 3 in the Village of Pinellas at Cedar Grove.
• Nov. 20 in the Village of Sanibel.
• Nov. 21 in the Village of Fernandina.
• Dec. 18 in the Village of Glenbrook.
• Dec. 19, again in the Village of Sanibel.
• Dec. 24 in the Village of Polo Ridge.
• Dec. 26, again in the Village of Fernandina.
• Jan. 3 a lanai screen was cut in a home in Village of Bridgeport at Miona Shores. An arrest in that case was made Friday.
Lt. Nehemiah Wolfe urges Villagers to take advantage of the sheriff’s free home inspection program. Through it, a member of the sheriff’s office will visit a home and provide tips on securing the home. You can schedule an appointment by calling 689-4600.
He added that neighbors looking out for neighbors is also effective.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post

I would think in this day and age daily records would be available on line as public records. I guess I am wrong again.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office provides this, the page is refreshed ever 60 seconds.

Volusia County Sheriff's Office

I would think Sumter County could out due Volusia County (Daytona Beach, Deland area). I guess I am wrong again.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Platinum member

I hate hearing this crime going on. Doesn't make me a happy camper. I do have to say though that I can't believe people have to be told something as basic as to lock the doors and windows. Really? ???? The Villages is safer than a lot of places but it's not Mayberry circa 1950.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Sage

We had gone to the Sheriffs office hoping to be able to get something "real time" as has been suggested. Since I and some others live in the area hardest hit, we have tried to post on TOTV "real time" to get the word out, and to be honest.... it is a daunting task.... There are people on TOTV who don't want to believe we may have a problem in The Villages and have tried to discredit us.

As Karen posted, the Sheriffs office is in the process of putting systems together so we can get this information online "real time". The solution we came up with, until that happens, is that they would call me on Monday's and let me know what has happened in The Villages in the past week and I would post here and send out to my contacts in various neighborhoods so they could in turn send out to their contacts and their neighborhoods.

There appears to be some concern about my getting the information out. So, I would ask you....How many of you would like this information posted on TOTV?

If you really don't want to have this posted, maybe I can just send it via email to those who want the information. I'm OK with it either way.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
I would think in this day and age daily records would be available on line as public records. I guess I am wrong again.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office provides this, the page is refreshed ever 60 seconds.

Volusia County Sheriff's Office

I would think Sumter County could out due Volusia County (Daytona Beach, Deland area). I guess I am wrong again.
Angie..could you inquire about this?
Also, after reading your last post, I would like to know these things as soon as you know them. Thank you again for your efforts.

Last edited by samhass; 01-13-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I read all posts and had another comment.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
Angie..could you inquire about this?
This is what they are working to put in place. It's not there yet.

It's EXACTLY what they are working on!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.