Sumter County Sheriff's Office warning residents about nomadic criminal threat

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Sumter County Sheriff's Office warning residents about nomadic criminal threat

Cut and pasted from the online news;

The Sumter County Sheriffs Office is warning that we are approaching the time of year when our agency sees a spike in residential burglaries committed by nomadic criminals. These groups of people commonly referred to as Gypsies travel in groups throughout the state of Florida as well as other states along the east coast and prey on unsuspecting residents.
It is imperative that each resident does their part to stay vigilant and mindful of not only their own property, but that of the residences around them.
The Sumter County Sheriffs Office is asking residents in The Villages to keep an eye out for unfamiliar subjects walking in their neighborhood. They have been known to walk up to residences, between them and/or behind them. In past years, female criminals have advised inquiring residents they were looking for a dog and the females had thick accents. A newer-style vehicle, usually a rental, is often nearby. It is used to drop off the subjects who ultimately commit the burglaries and then picks them back up after the crime has been committed.
Past accounts of males and females observed walking through residences have been that they are of Hispanic descent due to their medium skin tone, dark-colored hair, and dark-colored eyes. Nomadic criminals are not Hispanic. To the contrary, they are of European descent, but are often mislabeled by witnesses as being Hispanic. They usually have thick Russian or Polish accents and are based near the Chicago, Ill. area.
The most common items that have been stolen from Villages residents in the past have been valuable jewelry and silver housewares. Nomadic Criminals typically have not been interested in firearms and electronics. The master bedroom is often the target area. It is believed the items are being brought back to the Chicago area to be sold on the underground market.
The sheriffs office reminds residents to lock your residences doors and windows when you are not home to limit the temptation of criminals. However, nomadic criminals have been known to forcibly enter a residence through either the rear sliding glass door when it is found to be locked. Do not leave valuable jewelry lying unsecured in your residence where it is easily accessible to anyone looking for it in a hurry. Maintain all serial numbers of expensive watches as well. If someone approaches you and says they are looking for a dog, they could in fact be distracting you from what is occurring at the rear of your residence or at your neighbors residence. Past burglaries have occurred in short windows of the homeowner not being home. Some victims only reported being gone for 30 minutes. Be careful of indicating on social media of you not being home.
The sheriffs office taking numerous proactive steps to track and deter these criminals from impeding on your lifestyle and invading your privacy, but we can be immensely more effective if you do your part too. Call 911 immediately upon observing any of the above-described individuals or if your residence has been burglarized. Time is of the essence and waiting to call could mean letting the criminals get away and preying on fellow residents. Do not touch anything in your residence if it has been burglarized and exit the same way you entered. Cleaning up will compromise the scene and inhibit a thorough investigation. You can also reach the Sumter County Sheriffs Office non-emergency hotline at (352) 793-2621 or (352) 728-6909.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Thank you -- Good information.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Gold member

Can you point me to the source of this information? I can't find it on the Sumter County Sheriff Web Site.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Can you point me to the source of this information? I can't find it on the Sumter County Sheriff Web Site.
It is supposedly on the online news which is competing for advertising dollars with TOTV. They have similar target audiences.

Here is a different source. Gypsies suspected in string of Central Florida crimes - Orlando Sentinel

I am surprised that the Sumter County Sheriff's Office is not very proactive with the resource available through its online site.

Check with what your hometown is doing with the resource. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office, for instance, seems to go out of its way to help people through an aggressive safety campaign. Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Northern Nevada's Full Service Law Enforcement Agency

Hopefully, some of the local leos will catch onto this movement to get their communities much more involved in security and safety by educating their people served via their web-sites.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-04-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:24 AM

If people would practice Situational Awareness it would go a long way to help prevent all types of crime. People are so "consumed" by their day to day activities they tend to not have a clue as to what is going on around them!

Look at your home and look at the landscaping. Are you creating a cozy environment for someone to be able to hide and break in and no one see?

Keep your face out of your electronic devices while walking from place to place, be AWARE of who is around you. In most cases we make ourselves the victim by being the easy to select target!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

I directly copied it from the shhhhhh online news yesterday.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is supposedly on the online news which is competing for advertising dollars with TOTV. They have similar target audiences.

Here is a different source. Gypsies suspected in string of Central Florida crimes - Orlando Sentinel

I am surprised that the Sumter County Sheriff's Office is not very proactive with the resource available through its online site.

Check with what your hometown is doing with the resource. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office, for instance, seems to go out of its way to help people through an aggressive safety campaign. Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Northern Nevada's Full Service Law Enforcement Agency

Hopefully, some of the local leos will catch onto this movement to get their communities much more involved in security and safety by educating their people served via their web-sites.
Why don't you contact the sheriff with your ideas?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I directly copied it from the shhhhhh online news yesterday.
Thanks Gracie
Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Sage

Whenever I hear the word gypsy, I think of this song.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why don't you contact the sheriff with your ideas?
I am pretty sure they have heard of the 224613 Project which involves going to the people you serve and asking them what they would like to see on their information resource. There was an article in the Villages Daily Sun on Memorial Day 2007 about my efforts. This was written by Gary Corsair.

I do not believe that the police operate in a vacuum. They sometimes act like it though.

It is better that many voices push for change rather than one that some labelled as a fruitcake over the years. I still have a little problem when authorities Google my real name which also occurred when Gary Corsair was doing his research before the Memorial Day 2007 article on me came out. I have sent some rather stupid e-mails out over the 17 years now I have been working on this Project online. I started working on this in 1991 in earnest even though it is rooted in my experiences dealing with the murder investigation in the killing of Michelle Mitchell on 2-24-1976 on my birthday. This was the daughter of my then remedial English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell at Earl Wooster High School. The police bumbled around with this investigation for three years up through 1979 and then got the wrong person. She just got out in the Spring of 2015. She had been convicted a number of times for false confessions to the murder of Michelle Mitchell. There was the problem that she was a paranoid schizophrenic. Charges Dismissed Against Cathy Woods for 1976 Murder Only On 7: Gypsy Hill' murder suspect says he wants answers in jailhouse interview | abc7news.com

The Gary Corsair article was about libraries getting practical information for survivors/victims of crimes but so should the leos' web-sites.

What I am trying to say is that I do not have all that much control over what comes up when people especially law enforcement people Google my real name.

Gary Corsair did want to look at mine correspondence in this 224 613 Project but I said no as the only reason he had even become aware of this work of mine-- as far as what he told me-- is that he was wandering around in Lynnhaven and my gardening mother had mentioned that I was doing something newsworthy. I had no idea who he really was having just met him so I said no. Now that Facebook allows posting of many documents and control by the person that puts them up of what people can and cannot see, I have been trying to share SOME of these documents that Gary Corsair had wanted to see.

I hope people realize that this 224 613 Project is international in scope so I do have to be careful about it getting into the wrong hands. It is about education of survivors/victims of crimes about the resources available in their local communities. This will be different in each community. I have tried get all kinds of organizations involved with solving this problem of access to practical information since 1991.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I like it. I have been writing a lot of celebrities since 2000 or so about my 224 613 Project. Many of them do have e-mail addresses even if some of them probably never read any of these. Now some are on Twitter, Facebook and many other social media sites.

Not sure if Cher was one of these or is one of these. These celebrities do not live in a vacuum either and some of them seem to be very caring people especially if you are not trying to use them in some way but get them to take a stand on something important.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name..._Romani_people
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

Our very little girl daughter at the time, would sing along with it, inserting her idea of the lyrics; Gypsie, crabs and fleas.....................
Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Our very little girl daughter at the time, would sing along with it, inserting her idea of the lyrics; Gypsie, crabs and fleas.....................
You should get involved with the lobster debate GC. That's on the Three Word Sentences Thread. You can be a real hoot. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...post11487.html

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Goodness Gracious, I think your daughter completely misunderstood Cher's intention of overcoming stereotypes.

What did she do with the lyrics in "HAlf Breed"? I'm pretty sure Cher set back some of the stereotypes of Native Americans with her performance and the dance act that precedes it.
Closed Thread

Tags
criminals, residents, residence, office, sheriffs, nomadic, past, sumter, county, home, area, hispanic, residences, burglaries, time, villages, descent, warning, rear, walking, subjects, windows, dark-colored, groups, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.