Sumter County Tourist Tax Referendum - Vote YES! Sumter County Tourist Tax Referendum - Vote YES! - Page 5 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Sumter County Tourist Tax Referendum - Vote YES!

Reply
Thread Tools
  #61  
Unread Today, 08:37 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Villages
Posts: 15,276
Thanks: 2,208
Thanked 16,673 Times in 5,744 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhagen View Post
Just because everyone does it, doesnt sway me much. I think we are already taxed to death. My philosophy is to starve the beast. We have too much government at every level. Giving them more money will just make them want more. You are free to feel differently. It’s a free country, so far.
I half agree:

Taxed too much-----yes
A tourist tax will kill tourism-----no
  #62  
Unread Today, 03:21 PM
Aces4 Aces4 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,351
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndCurious View Post
YA, let's shoot the golden goose that flies in here for a short time, pumps money into the economy, and uses very little resources while we give big property tax breaks to residents who use county resources 365 days a year.
That sounds logical. Why am I not surprised.
That's the Florida mindset it appears, make everyone out of state pay for the resident goodies. If I was a tourist, I would avoid subsidizing this mindset. I'm starting to think most of the people here are broke.
  #63  
Unread Today, 04:19 PM
Normal Normal is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,294
Thanks: 6,453
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default A Joke I Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
That's the Florida mindset it appears, make everyone out of state pay for the resident goodies. If I was a tourist, I would avoid subsidizing this mindset. I'm starting to think most of the people here are broke.
That’s a joke I hope. Non residents can use and abuse in vacationland with limited responsibilities, while many residents are tired of it and think their taxes are too high. Wasting money on taxes has little to do with being broke.
__________________
Everywhere

“Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.”

Christina Rossetti

Borta bra men hemma bäst
Ћє βÌŦÐÍÐ₤Ξ®
  #64  
Unread Today, 04:31 PM
Haggar Haggar is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 312
Thanks: 1
Thanked 222 Times in 125 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=defrey12;2539179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Seems short-sighted and 2% not worth the bureaucracy.

Time for county to start looking for ways to increase revenue with the possibility of property tax being gutted.

Why only tourism revenue?
Don't tourists wear out our roads and other infrastructure like everyone else?[
Why not a tax on electric and hybrid vehicles? The federal fuel tax is 18.4 cents. The state and local tax on gasoline is $39.025 in Lake and Sumter, 44.025 cents in Marion. By the way I drive a hybrid.

What's making up the loss from those taxes not being paid which is used for road and bridge maintenance? Right now electronic vehicle make up 7.4% of all vehicles in the US and hybrids make up 16% of the US market. That's a major shortfall in road taxes!
__________________
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. John Adams
Reply

Tags
tax, fees, rentals, county, rental


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.