Sumter Landing updates

Old 05-15-2024, 05:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,895 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Dragon boaters currently park at/near The Waterfront Inn. Moving the launch point to the area behind the radio station will likely result in most of those folks parking on or near the square. My guesstimate is 50+ vehicles just for dragon boating during peak time. Add in the kayaking numbers plus those fishing and it would appear to have an impact on prime parking at the square. Granted much of the dragon boat parking will be in the morning. Also, what impact is there when a significant number of parking places are blocked off for market night or other events?

The recreation concept is a positive, I just question the location.
Many of us park in the parking lots and walk to the squares. Blocking off parking places for events that draw lots of people like craft shows, car shows, and markets is only a problem for those who insist on parking a few feet from the square. The square general vicinity is the best place for these things.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:32 AM

I for one welcome the changes and upgrades and am pleased The Villages developers continue to thoughtfully upgrade and revision the amenities. My observation is they always do things first class. Excited to see the changes.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:32 AM
Default Boat launching at Lake Sumter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
My husband has his own kayak - can he use it or does he have to rent one?
The current boat launch ramp is behind (west) of the hotel. Even with docks at the "new" landing, I would think that the current launch ramp will remain there.

Can you use your own kayak? Don't know rules as to why not?
Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 AM

There are public boat launches at a number of area lakes - Miona, Panasofkee, Okahumpka, etc. You can find them on Google.

Sumter does not seem to have a public boat launch. I would not expect a private facility to allow you to launch your water craft.

Now what about all of the retention ponds. They are surrounded by buffers owned and maintained by TV. I have not seen any type of boat on one.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,298 Posts

Most are probably aware the lake at Eastport is designed for Dragon boat racing.

Middleton also has a dock on one of the large lakes.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
What is you guess based on?
Three dragon boats per period with up to 22 persons per boat would be 66 vehicles if each drove alone. I allowed for some pairing up in vehicles. Just a guesstimate.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager24 View Post
I for one welcome the changes and upgrades and am pleased The Villages developers continue to thoughtfully upgrade and revision the amenities. My observation is they always do things first class. Excited to see the changes.
i just wish ,they would use the best materials to build everything . dont use metal piping in the ponds, should have used metal on the wind mill in brownwood, sumter landing use plastic wood for the boardwalk. walking trails make out of cement , one and done. not rebuild every few years. do it right from the start.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager24 View Post
I do not think the developers are behind this.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I do not think the developers are behind this.
Don't you know the Developer is behind everything

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-15-2024, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Three dragon boats per period with up to 22 persons per boat would be 66 vehicles if each drove alone. I allowed for some pairing up in vehicles. Just a guesstimate.
It's a very high guestimate. Take half.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,158 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I was raised living and swimming/skiing on Lake Harris in Leesburg. Fun fact. The entire world of water skiiers used to live and train in Leesburg on that lake full of gators. I’ve never known of a person who’s even come close to being attacked by one. They’re scared of everything. They’re ambush predators. They lie under cover of the water or in reeds, and wait. When something is in ambush distance, splashing in the water, they look at the basic size and either their brain goes “Nope, too small, not worth it,” “Nope, too big, might fight me off, not worth it,” or “Yep! Just right!” And if the answer is number three, they literally erupt out of the water and attack. They drag their prey to the bottom to drown it first. If you see one hanging out, they don’t care about you… just keep on walking….if you jumped at it or poked it with a stick it would snap at you but that’s about it.
This doesn't make sense to me.

It's the “Yep! Just right!” tells me anyone to stay out of the water, Period.

"I’ve never known of a person who’s even come close to being attacked by one."
Can you guarantee That???
Old 05-16-2024, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
This doesn't make sense to me.

It's the “Yep! Just right!” tells me anyone to stay out of the water, Period.

"I’ve never known of a person who’s even come close to being attacked by one."
Can you guarantee That???
I know of an alligator attack. A woman was walking two dogs on a villages built walking path that goes near a pond. It was in the afternoon daylight. Alligator pounced on the dogs without any warning. She tried to save them, but could not. She suffered bites and cuts. One dog badly hurt, other dog taken by alligator.
This was about a year ago.

This info was given in person by the woman who was attacked. She is traumatized and will never walk near a pond ever again.

Bee Ess about the "it never happens here"
Old 05-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,366 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
I know of an alligator attack. A woman was walking two dogs on a villages built walking path that goes near a pond. It was in the afternoon daylight. Alligator pounced on the dogs without any warning. She tried to save them, but could not. She suffered bites and cuts. One dog badly hurt, other dog taken by alligator.
This was about a year ago.

This info was given in person by the woman who was attacked. She is traumatized and will never walk near a pond ever again.

Bee Ess about the "it never happens here"
I don't remember reading a single word about this...

Are you sure it happened in TV?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-16-2024, 01:52 PM

We frequently kayak in throughout central FL where alligators are common. I know the risk and I'm fine with it, as it's well within my comfort zone. (read: From my point of view the risk is mighty low ... and kayaking in the amazing waters/springs here is simply amazing!!!). Those who are put off by the idea should skip it. Enough said. If you're afraid stay out of the water.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I don't remember reading a single word about this...

Are you sure it happened in TV?
About 6 months or so ago south of here a gator attacked a dog and the owner got involved and was killed by a gator.

Tags
sumter, landing, allowed, fishing, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.