T-mobile cell service plan for 55+: any experience?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2021, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
not sure about the villages, but t-mobile has always had spotty coverage around the country. Verizon is the deluxe standard for signal strength throughout the country. Signal strength/coverage is mandatory when traveling if you are using your phone for GPS. I used ATT before Verizon and just going 20 miles outside of Atlanta or other decent size towns, you would get no coverage. I have been on Verizon's 55+ plan for many years and pay $40 a month per line plus taxes for unlimited everything.
T-Mobile actually has more coverage than anybody right now, including Verizon. We've been on their 55+ plan for the past 4 years and have had no issues. The cost for the plan is $70 for two lines, and you get a $10 discount with autopay, so it's $60 + about $3 in taxes. My monthly bill is $63.01. They will also give you a free cell spot to use in your home if you want, but with today's phones supporting wifi calling, you probably don't need it. We have one (because it's free!), and have never had a dropped call at home.

I have found spots where my phone works and a friends phone on Verizon doesn't... and vice versa. This will be true with any network. Look at the coverage maps for Verizon and T-Mobile on their sites.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:03 AM

If you use Mint Mobile plans start at $15 a month and the maximum is $35 depending on data use. You must own an unlocked phone.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Default T-Mobile 55+

Quote:
Originally Posted by geltner@verizon.net View Post
There is a senior (over 55) plan now available with T-mobile that I've read about. We use Verizon now and it seems like it would be about a $40. per month savings for us. Netflix is included. I was wondering if any of you have made the switch and what you think about the service? We are about to become snowbirds.
thanks to all,
Hi I switched from ATT about 2 years ago. I’ve had NO issues and I know what my bill is going to be every month. Love it😎
Old 09-02-2021, 08:25 AM
Default Tracfone

I have had Tracfone service for a number of years and very happy with their service. I currently pay $20 a month for unlimited talk & text with 1 gb of rollover data.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

I would expect with the changeover to 5G many things will change. Including cost and coverage.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:46 AM
Default Do it!

Quote:
There is a senior (over 55) plan now available with T-mobile that I've read about. We use Verizon now and it seems like it would be about a $40. per month savings for us. Netflix is included. I was wondering if any of you have made the switch and what you think about the service? We are about to become snowbirds.
thanks to all,
We switched 18 months ago and it’s been great! Saves a lot of money!
Old 09-02-2021, 09:06 AM

I have the 55+ plan with ATT and the additional line. Huge savings
Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 AM

I was a long term user of At&T and was reluctant to change carriers. ATT prices started to get very high...so i made the change in NJ to T Mobile.....excellence service and coverage...traveled to Brazil...and had coverage....The Senior plan was $55.00 per month...all in.....and if you signed up for auto pay it dropped to $50. I moved here to The Villages 1 year ago...and had excellent coverage here as well.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Currently I've got Verizon.

Previously, had Consumer Cellular. I discovered something when I moved from a previous home. I couldn't get calls from my Consumer Cellular service. I investigated the issue and this was the explanation. CC rents space on AT&T towers. When traffic on a tower gets high, AT&T will throttle the CC service down first. Essentially, CC has access to 80% of the AT&T tower capacity. AT&T gives priority to their full AT&T customers and these full customers get 100% access to the tower. While normally not a big deal and everything seems to work fine, that 20% loss of access by using Consumer Cellular could become important in an emergency situation. CC and many of these other off-brand companies have the same reduction in access model. Something to know.

I solved my problem by going to Verizon and getting their over 55 service. I get full service and full access to their capabilities. I've never tried T-mobile. But, a lot of people are very satisfied with their service.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway

Quote:
not sure about the villages, but t-mobile has always had spotty coverage around the country. Verizon is the deluxe standard for signal strength throughout the country. Signal strength/coverage is mandatory when traveling if you are using your phone for GPS. I used ATT before Verizon and just going 20 miles outside of Atlanta or other decent size towns, you would get no coverage. I have been on Verizon's 55+ plan for many years and pay $40 a month per line plus taxes for unlimited everything.
Copy That
Old 09-02-2021, 09:44 AM

I too am using Mint. Great so far.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 AM
Default Senior Phone Rates

We use Consumer Cellular much less expensive, and you get a discount if you are an AARP member. They use both the ATT network and T-Moble.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

We've been on Verizon 55+ plan also for many years with no problems.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Mint Mobile doesn’t include wearables.

We had Sprint a few years ago when we were traveling full time. Went six weeks with no cell service. Had to stop and use WiFi where we could find it. Useless. Switched to Verizon and had coverage again.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Default T-Mobile

Quote:
thanks to all,
Consumer Cellular uses ATT and T-Mobile. For ATT it's less than $50/mo for the best service (total for 2 phones). Unsure what the cost is for T-Mobile, but likely the same.

Last edited by bp243; 09-02-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
t-mobile, plan, service, wondering, included

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.