Lanai Headers

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Default Lanai Headers

Does anyone know what material is used for the headers used for the 10'-12' lanai openings. I have a concrete block home and am installing electrical racetrack. The masonry bit doesn't seem to penetrate on these headers. I wouldn't think that are steel, but it acts like it?
Old 03-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage

Most likely they are concrete with rebar in them, typical lintal,also after penetrating the initial concrete--you may need a titanium bit--but in all reality today's space age adhesives will do the job--
Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

It's a steel trough filled with concrete
Old 03-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,282 Posts

I have first hand experience with drilling the lanai headers. I also have copies om my house plans. As stated above, these are U shaped 1/8 inch steel channels filled with concrete and rebar. When I went to install shades, I had to use multiple bits. First a concrete bit to get through the stucco. Then a high speed steel bit to get through the 1/8 inch steel trough. Followed by the concrete bit to get to the correct depth of the insert. I then installed the plastic expansion plugs and screws to hold the shades. I actually used different size drill bits, small ones to act as pilot holes, then the correct size for the inserts. I also used a glue on the plastic inserts to make sure they were not coming out. It took several minutes per hole.
A word of caution, the steel bits will dull very quickly if they come in contact with the concrete. So I had to sharpen the bits several times as I was drilling. If anyone would lie to discuss this, send me a PM with your phone number and I will gladly give you a call.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

I could be wrong but about 6 years ago when I had to mount shades to the header I went to the new construction area and looked closely at the header construction. I believe the trough is " stainless steel ", much more difficult than regular steel to drill. Eventually after many drill bits I completed the job...not easy
Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Does anyone know what material is used for the headers used for the 10'-12' lanai openings. I have a concrete block home and am installing electrical racetrack. The masonry bit doesn't seem to penetrate on these headers. I wouldn't think that are steel, but it acts like it?
It depends on the age of your home, as to what the header material is made of.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

I pulled the plans for my house, and it indicates 18 gauge steel with 2 pieces of rebar. A friend of mine also suggested using tapcons, i have not tried using them in steel but this could be another alternative. I think you are still going to need multiple drill bits, as I mentioned above.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks to all for the insight. I completed my task of drilling into the header. Thought I would pass on what I found. The house was built in 2008. The header consisted of a thin skim of stucco, followed by the 1/8" steel as VillageTinker stated, and then concrete. Used the masonry bit for the skim coat. A cobalt bit for the beam. And then back to the masonry bit. I then used Ace's version of Tapcon screws (Procon) to secure the clips.

The education for me was with the steel. As VillageTinker and Bill32 stated, I used 4 bits on the 5 holes. It would only take 5 seconds or so to get through the 1/8" steel, but the bit was essentially shot after each hole. I used a single masonry bit for the entire project (20 holes), but I used 4 cobalt bits to drill the five holes in the steel. I used both Dewalt and Milwaukee bits and they performed equally. I tried my best to not go into the concrete so I would not dull the bit...not that it seemed to matter.

FYI - The adhesive failed. That was my first inclination for a 'simple' solution, but I could not get a firm hold on the track to allow for the adhesive to set.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Good information for anyone else tackling this project....
Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Sage

Tropm69, If you still have the bits, I can sharpen them, send me a PM with you phone number abd we can get together.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 AM

I am so grateful you fellows addressed this issue! I concur with the multiple bit, multiple size, hammer drill, and patience!! (Adhesive eventually gives in the humidity and heat!). I took a road trip too... to check out construction, even talked to the construction crew... you should have seen the funny looks at my husband sitting in the car, while I made the inquiries... But then, my husband is always happy when I'm done with "my" projects. Boy Village, do I have bits to be sharpened, but then, I do have a new grinder.... (the local handi woman) My neighbors where ever so happy when I finished expanding and laying the attic floor..... just sayin...
Closed Thread

Tags
headers, lanai, penetrate, bit, acts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.