Termite protection - how much do you pay?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Termite protection - how much do you pay?

I reviewed several threads on termites and few referred to actual costs. We currently have Deans and I find it problematic paying $150 annually for minimal service. I do understand the guarantee so it is basically insurance and you want a company that will be there if you need them. Would others share who you use and how much you pay? In reviewing the threads I did not see anyone who said they have experienced termites in the newer areas.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

I just contracted with Massey for termite protection today.

I did not have any previous programs that I know of, so I started from scratch.
I paid $499 for the initial treatment and $300 for the attic type. The renewal fee will be $180 per year for the second and third years. I have a 17 year old designer home, 1397 sq ft and siding.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,361 Posts

have 1200sq ft with Deans and ours is $125
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
have 1200sq ft with Deans and ours is $125
Ditto.

Bill
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,555 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

JoJo...where do I remember hearing or reading or being told that all lumber on new constructed homes was treated and it was good for ten years?

I think that a lot of people do NOT pay for termite protection for ten years. We have discussed it with neighbors and that is what we are hearing.

I think...there are a lot of contractors telling us a lot of stuff that is basically a little incorrect.

The person to ask if you can locate him is the man who built your house...or someone who works for the developer that is old enough and high enough to not repeat incorrect information.

A person who was selling downspouts said that rain runoff of the home on the sides and back promoted termite infestation. That is not correct.

I would like to read a book with the rumors and inaccuracies told us by people who are trying to sell us something addressed.

And to further take this thread off track...The television commercials for termite protection is bound to give toddlers nightmares for years. Those big munching blurbs with four sets of teeth must be scary for little ones. They even call them monsters.

Who can we trust on this matter? It is expensive, but no one wants to have their home unprotected from damage.

I can hear Mrs. Marsluf my high school English teacher say...Gracie, you have failed to stay on topic.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
....... A person who was selling downspouts said that rain runoff of the home on the sides and back promoted termite infestation. That is not correct. ......
To a point, what that person is saying has some validity. I wouldn't say it directly promotes termite infestation but it does provide a conducive environment for them. Pests, including ants, termites, etc., thrive in moist soil conditions. Google pests "moist ground" for support of the concept from various sources.

We have an issue with our TV home of ants getting inside along one area of the rear wall.......which is right where the A/C compressor unit sits in the back........which is right where the condensation drain comes out, less than a foot away from the slab of the house. Pull the turf back and that's where the ants are hanging out. It's ALWAYS wet there when the A/C operates. I'll see if my 'fix' worked when we're down there next: In Feb., I extended the condensation drain line so it terminates on the opposite side of the A/C compressor unit which puts it about 3'-4' further away than it ended before.

Always a good idea to keep as much water as you can away from your home's foundation.

JMHO........

Bill
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,555 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
To a point, what that person is saying has some validity. I wouldn't say it directly promotes termite infestation but it does provide a conducive environment for them. Pests, including ants, termites, etc., thrive in moist soil conditions. Google pests "moist ground" for support of the concept from various sources.

We have an issue with our TV home of ants getting inside along one area of the rear wall.......which is right where the A/C compressor unit sits in the back........which is right where the condensation drain comes out, less than a foot away from the slab of the house. Pull the turf back and that's where the ants are hanging out. It's ALWAYS wet there when the A/C operates. I'll see if my 'fix' worked when we're down there next: In Feb., I extended the condensation drain line so it terminates on the opposite side of the A/C compressor unit which puts it about 3'-4' further away than it ended before.

Always a good idea to keep as much water as you can away from your home's foundation.

JMHO........

Bill
I trust any information from you Bill and I thank you for correcting another incorrect rumor, this time from me.

We can learn a lot from each other on here, even when we are wrong.

When you do correct something, you do it with so much kindness and diplomacy that one would suspect you are from "Ahia".
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM

It's best to compare what you are getting for your $150 over a long period...say 3-5 years. My first home here had the original treatment done by Massey and every year for $150 they came and did a visual inspection. After 3 years (2007), I called them and asked when they planned to retreat the property since nothing lasts forever. They told me that my home would require a booster treatment every 5 years at a cost of $500-$1500 basis the square footage. I then got 3 quotes and selected Dean's who did a thorough inspection (with canine) and for the same $150 per year I get a booster treatment every year or every other year with no extra charge plus the inspection.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Sage

I read there a lot of scams relating to termite treatment folks, so be aware of what the contractor is exactly using, ask before hand, Google the product .

Ask for a copy of his pesticide license, and verify it.

I thought Sentricon was good at first blush the I read about bait stations

Florida:
Terminix International Co. v. Michaels, alleging negligence and strict liability in connection with its ultra-hazardous activity of applying dangerous chemicals to the house.
Florida Attorney General vs. Terminix International. Terminix to Offer Refunds, Retreatments, for Termite Protection. Agreement with Terminix settles allegations the company failed to provide consumers with promised services through nine of its Florida locations.

Make sure your HO covers it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I reviewed several threads on termites and few referred to actual costs. We currently have Deans and I find it problematic paying $150 annually for minimal service. I do understand the guarantee so it is basically insurance and you want a company that will be there if you need them. Would others share who you use and how much you pay? In reviewing the threads I did not see anyone who said they have experienced termites in the newer areas.
We have used Dean's for several years, and are very pleased with them. I think $150 per year is reasonable, and gives you peace of mind knowing you are protected.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Sage

That's if one assumes it's done or done correctly.

How many homes in TV have actually had termite problems with the new building codes in last few years?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.