Tesla Tesla - Page 12 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Tesla

Reply
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old Today, 07:42 AM
ohioshooter ohioshooter is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 552
Thanks: 38
Thanked 437 Times in 191 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Sorry but I just don’t believe that. I think that an extra hour of total charging time on a long trip is also wishful thinking. I would sooner believe a possible hour of wait plus charging time per stop is more like it. No thanks. Ten minutes for a fill up, a whiz and maybe a drink and I’m gone.
The cool thing is, you don’t have to believe it. Believe what you want.
  #167  
Old Today, 08:10 AM
RavenelRibet RavenelRibet is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Sorry to burst your extinction baloney. Tesla just released 7 new models! I have been driving my TeslaY model (small SUV) here in TV for over two years. The self driving is wonderful, and getting better every day. I get in the car in my garage, tell it to take me to a destination and sit back and do noting until it parks itself at my destination. It drives much better than I do mostly because it sees better, has much faster reflexes, navigates well, etc. AND, I have driven for two years with no service at all. No oil changes, nothing. Maintenance is down to washing the car. Highway driving is almost fun, and the roundabouts are a joy. It always uses turn signals, it always stops at stop lights, and stop signs. It always drives the speed limit or under if road conditions require. Soon I will no longer be required to sit in the drivers seat, and can just get in the back seat and tell the car, "home, James", and get out in my garage where the car parks itself!!! Buying is a joy with no car dealers, no hassle. Service centers can handle any issues. Tesla charging centers on the road are easy to use, the car will find them for you when you need to charge. And they are fast! Acceleration is a temptation because it is so damned fun. But, like any car, stepping on it eats fuel (electricity). I could go on but my best advice if you are considering a Tesla is get with a Tesla owner for a test drive, or go to the nearest Tesla service center for a free test drive. They just show you to a demo car, you get in, they show you how to turn it on, and you are on your own. They don't even go with you. It is that safe a car!
__________________
Steve Lang
  #168  
Old Today, 08:31 AM
Philipd411 Philipd411 is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 131
Thanks: 17
Thanked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Sorry but I just don’t believe that. I think that an extra hour of total charging time on a long trip is also wishful thinking. I would sooner believe a possible hour of wait plus charging time per stop is more like it. No thanks. Ten minutes for a fill up, a whiz and maybe a drink and I’m gone.
You can plug your destination into Tesla’s online Trip Planner and just a trip planner to see the times it would take. , but I’ve found that using the planner right in the Tesla gives us a better idea of how long the trip will take.

We take several 10-hour trips every year. We used to drive our Chrysler Pacifica, and we’ve also driven a Ford C-Max Hybrid. Now we take our Model Y, so we’ve had a chance to compare.

Plus the car has cut my fuel/maintence bill by $280 to $300 a month.

For a rough efficiency comparison, 27 MPG for a gas-powered Pacifica, 42 MPG for a C-Max Hybrid, and around 120 MPGe for a Model Y. We saved money even supercharging.

We usually stop for breakfast and lunch anyway, so we find places where we can charge while we eat. You can charge just enough to make it to the next charging station, but we like to charge to 80% when we’re on the road.

For us, the Model Y has added about 30 minutes to the trip compared with our Pacifica. On a 10-hour drive, that really doesn’t bother us. But those extra 30 minutes might matter to you, and that’s fair. Just sharing what it’s been like for us.

Plus using FSD removes stress. The first time we used FSD to drive to Knoxille we arrived much more refreshed.
  #169  
Old Today, 08:44 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,770
Thanks: 3,330
Thanked 9,591 Times in 3,940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
You can plug your destination into Tesla’s online Trip Planner and just a trip planner to see the times it would take. , but I’ve found that using the planner right in the Tesla gives us a better idea of how long the trip will take.

We take several 10-hour trips every year. We used to drive our Chrysler Pacifica, and we’ve also driven a Ford C-Max Hybrid. Now we take our Model Y, so we’ve had a chance to compare.

Plus the car has cut my fuel/maintence bill by $280 to $300 a month.

For a rough efficiency comparison, 27 MPG for a gas-powered Pacifica, 42 MPG for a C-Max Hybrid, and around 120 MPGe for a Model Y. We saved money even supercharging.

We usually stop for breakfast and lunch anyway, so we find places where we can charge while we eat. You can charge just enough to make it to the next charging station, but we like to charge to 80% when we’re on the road.

For us, the Model Y has added about 30 minutes to the trip compared with our Pacifica. On a 10-hour drive, that really doesn’t bother us. But those extra 30 minutes might matter to you, and that’s fair. Just sharing what it’s been like for us.

Plus using FSD removes stress. The first time we used FSD to drive to Knoxille we arrived much more refreshed.
Great reply!

I don’t own an EV because of the extra refueling time. Since we do not stop for breakfast or lunch it looks like we would add an hour onto our 10 hour trip. While not an excessive amount of time, it is more than we want to spend today, But maybe we should rent a Tesla for a weekend; maybe the stress reduction would more than offset the added time.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #170  
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Spectreron Spectreron is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnesail View Post
Doesn’t the $1200/for FSD cut into the gas savings amount?
Apples to oranges... $1200 buys me a 24/7 chauffeur that drives 7-8 times safer than I do. You never realize the work and brain power used to drive a car until you don't have to drive it.
  #171  
Old Today, 11:36 AM
REO7990 REO7990 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2024
Posts: 12
Thanks: 21
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Current Tesla Owner

I currently own a Tesla model Y. Though I enjoy charging my vehicle rather than filling an ICE tank, I dislike having all controls in the main computer screen. The lease is up in July and will move to the Audi E-Tron.
  #172  
Old Today, 11:41 AM
Altavia Altavia is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5,249
Thanks: 2,131
Thanked 3,939 Times in 1,932 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
Apples to oranges... $1200 buys me a 24/7 chauffeur that drives 7-8 times safer than I do. You never realize the work and brain power used to drive a car until you don't have to drive it.
Hmm, has anyone tried to switch an elderly parent who should no longer be driving to a Tesla with FSD?

May be a market for RoboTaxi like vehicle for seniors?
  #173  
Old Today, 11:42 AM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,287
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,223 Times in 704 Posts
Default

I love my Tesla model Y. Initially I thought I wouldn’t like all the controls in one computer screen but after you get used to it, it works well. Having that computer console makes it easier and less expensive to deploy new firmware and features compared to the electronics in a traditional car that hardly ever gets new features. But at the end of the day it’s the self driving that differentiates the Tesla from all the other EVs.
  #174  
Old Today, 11:57 AM
JRcorvette JRcorvette is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 881
Thanks: 872
Thanked 622 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO7990 View Post
I currently own a Tesla model Y. Though I enjoy charging my vehicle rather than filling an ICE tank, I dislike having all controls in the main computer screen. The lease is up in July and will move to the Audi E-Tron.
Make sure you look at the YouTube reviews on the Audi EV.
What is the buyout on your model Y and the specs? I am looking….
  #175  
Old Today, 01:17 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 18,040
Thanks: 9,205
Thanked 7,527 Times in 4,004 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I don't think I've ever screamed about CO2, plants love it and I like plants, and while I'm not a huge fan of horses I certainly don't want to beat one.

In my last post I said
I'm looking forward to my first electric car, the simplicity, the novelty, the quickness, (the efficiency?) all have me somewhat excited. The experience of having an electric cart the past few years has opened my mind to EVs
.


I'm not expecting them to replace ICE vehicles in my life time. I have a strong affinity to my gas guzzling F-150 and will probably trade it for another just like it when it gets to the 5 year old mark. I think EVs have a place and at some point fossil fuels will get more scarce. They may figure out how to burn hydrogen or other readily available fuel in time. Right now it seems like the development is on EV rather than fuel cells or other alternatives.

I love my electric golf cart and my electric lawn mower, I may find I love an electric (toy) car too.
I love my electric tooth brush.
Reply

Tags
tesla, lot, teslas, area


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.