Theft Of Suitcases This Morning, 3/22/2011

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum member

One poster, in this thread or the other thread on this subject, said that the trash was still there. If so, the luggage disappeared before trash pick-up.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Founder

It's not surprising that the Daily Sun would report this as an accidental pick-up by the garbage men. (that can't be proven one way or the other.) It sounds much better than reporting that there is possibly a thief roaming around the streets.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I read the article in the Daily Sun this morning on this loss. It seemed to indicate that the trash pickup very well could have been the culprit. The newspaper article states the suitcaees were on the curb in front of her home at about 11 a.m. before her airport shuttle ride arrived Tuesday afternoon. How long was she planning to leave them outside?

No matter where I was living, would I expect anyone to leave 2 unattended suitcases at the end of your driveway - near the trash - with valuable contents in the suitcases totalling about $5,000. Airlines continually tell us NOT to pack jewelry, or very hard to replace items such as legal files, gifts, and address books in checked suitcases. If the jewelry was in carry-on bag, it should have stayed on the woman's arm instead of being put outside unattended. Personally, I never have heard of carrying a basketball inside of a suitcase, either.

It is too bad this accident happened but a lot of the fault goes to the victim. It will be quite hard for her, I'm sure, to collect from her insurance company.
If I left my luggage in my driveway, which I have done all my life while waiting for a car service, I would not expect it to be taken the same way I would not expect my car to be taken parked in my driveway.

Heaven help the person that wakes my dogs up early in the morning picking through my trash. I would assume that a burglar is on my property and react accordingly within the laws covering a man's right to protect his home and property. Unless i see a logo for a trash collection service on their clothes I will assume that they are there to rob my house, garage, etc. and act accordingly.

I just love the blame the victim mentality. That always is the best way to approach crime. What is your take on someone who lives on a known fault line that has produced major earthquakes in the past but still refuses to move to another location and then dies because of it? See where your blame the victim logic can lead you?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Tbugs, having lived in California, I don't get the analogy. I've always thought that people who live directly on a fault line (think Modesto) are complete and total idiots. So, yes, I would blame the victim if they died because they chose to live on a known fault line.

In this case, I do believe the victim has to take some of the responsibility. If the luggage had been left outside by the garage door or the front door, then there would have been no question that it was not trash. However, if left by the end of driveway, it was basically saying it was there for the taking. It really is a common practice in TV to take items left at the end of the driveway -- whether trash day or not. Look back to posts here where people have been told to just leave old TVs, etc. out and they would be gone the next day.

As to your attitude that you would have the right to shoot someone picking through your trash, good luck! I'm not too convinced you would have a leg to stand on a court of law, even in Florida.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Tbugs, having lived in California, I don't get the analogy. I've always thought that people who live directly on a fault line (think Modesto) are complete and total idiots. So, yes, I would blame the victim if they died because they chose to live on a known fault line.

In this case, I do believe the victim has to take some of the responsibility. If the luggage had been left outside by the garage door or the front door, then there would have been no question that it was not trash. However, if left by the end of driveway, it was basically saying it was there for the taking. It really is a common practice in TV to take items left at the end of the driveway -- whether trash day or not. Look back to posts here where people have been told to just leave old TVs, etc. out and they would be gone the next day.

As to your attitude that you would have the right to shoot someone picking through your trash, good luck! I'm not too convinced you would have a leg to stand on a court of law, even in Florida.
First off you responded to the wrong person. Secondly I was refering to what recently happened in Japan so I guess it is their own fault according to what you said. Thirdly I never said anything about using a gun. As a ccw holder yourself you must know that the Castle Doctrine only applies to someone actually breaking into your house and not merely on your property. I normally like your post but you were wrong on all counts here.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
First off you responded to the wrong person. Secondly I was refering to what recently happened in Japan so I guess it is their own fault according to what you said. Thirdly I never said anything about using a gun. As a ccw holder yourself you must know that the Castle Doctrine only applies to someone actually breaking into your house and not merely on your property. I normally like your post but you were wrong on all counts here.
Vinny,

I think I may have missed a post here - was one removed?

But in all honesty, when I read your post about protecting your property, I inferred the same as Dee - that you would go about protecting yourself from burglars with a weapon.

I don't think we should blame the victim - but neither do I think that we can "blame" someone for our errors in judgment. We put a cup of hot coffee between our legs at the drive thru and when it spills - surprise! - we get burned!! Of course the big surprise was on the American consumer when the person who made a REALLY bad choice sued and won!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Gold member
Default garbage

Just think it was a mistake. Garbage pickers thats all. I have seen suitcases in garbage here before. Just common mistake. I have seen some real nice things thrown out here. They piced it up drove around with it .opened it later thats all. Would you really shoot someone going thru your garbage? Whoa Cowboy//////
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

First, my apologies to Tbugs. Don't know why I thought it was his post. And, Vinny, I'd quote your post, but it seems to have disappeared, but your implication certainly made it seem that you would shoot.

There's a huge difference between living directly on a fault line, which is what you said and living on an island. Tsunamis are a risk, so are quakes, but they are not a given. Driving a car is a risk. Jumping off a high cliff to the rocks below is a given. A quake as strong as the one that occurred in the Pacific Ocean (not on Japan itself) is, fortunately, very rare. Japan does not get daily quakes. If you live on an active fault line, you do get daily or almost daily quakes. Look at the stats for the town of Modesto, California, they have periods where they get hourly quakes, albeit small ones most of the time. Sorry, I think you have to be nuts to live directly on a fault line or at the top of an active volcano.

Leaving articles near the curb on trash day is a given that they will be picked up -- either by a gleaner or by the trash people.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Another suitcase story.

Last month Sweetie flew back to Ohio for business and had one night to stay in our house, was dropped off by co-workers late and was to be picked up by them early.

At around six in the morning, he put his laptop and carryon on the sidewalk in front of our home and went back in to turn on security and check locks. He returned to six police cars and officers shouting for him to put his hands up.

Our neighbors are really nosy.

Thank heavens.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Last month Sweetie flew back to Ohio for business and had one night to stay in our house, was dropped off by co-workers late and was to be picked up by them early.

At around six in the morning, he put his laptop and carryon on the sidewalk in front of our home and went back in to turn on security and check locks. He returned to six police cars and officers shouting for him to put his hands up.

Our neighbors are really nosy.

Thank heavens.
So did he try to make a run for it?

Nosy neighbors are nice to have in instances like that!

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran member
Default By all means

Yes, you basically have to portion responsibility to the victim here. While we may feel sorry for the loss, it would not have happened if normal care would have been applied.

What is this about "pickers" or "gleaners"? I have never noticed anyone like that in The Villages? Why wouldn't someone contact Community Watch about that? Don't give me a line about Community Watch not having any authority. They have standing orders to contact the police when unauthorized vendors, beggers, etc, are in The Villages.

I seriously doubt if the bags were stolen - especially from a villa community. It was just an accident that proved to be costly for the lady.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

TBugs,

I have never seen a picker or a gleaner - unless you could some Villagers driving around on trash day - frequently in carts - looking for treasures...

k
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Default fault line

I think redwitch is wrong in blaming people who live on a fault line if something bad happens. This type of thinking does not belong in the Villages IMHO
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Talking

If this was just an accident or a mistake, she should have heard from them by now. Since there was paperwork inside (plus you're supposed to put your identification inside luggage in case it gets lost and the tags get pulled off the outside), once opened whoever took them should have realized that they were not fair game.

BTW, maybe the basketball was deflated.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Sage

I just put out my trash for Friday pickup. It's 5 p.m. In the trash I put a small flatscreen TV that doesn't work and isn't worth fixing. 10 minute later, it was gone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.