Is there a particular store or restaurant that you would like to see here?

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Is there a particular store or restaurant that you would like to see here?

If you want up-scale atmosphere, food and service as you describe it, prepare to pay upscale prices. There is no free lunch. The primary reason you don't see more of this kind of restaurant in these parts.....is that the demographic will not support their business if meal costs are beyond a certain point. There are those, like you, who would patronize an upscale place from time-to-time. However, the simple fact of the matter is that a larger percentage of the population here will not patronize high-end purveyors because of higher prices. It's business and smart entrepreneurs will work the numbers vis-a-vis the prospective clientele's income and spending habits. But that said, things may change as the first big wave of baby-boomers begin to retire in '08. Their spending patterns, tastes and lifestyle preferences are different than the current retiree population. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Any predictions?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Default Re: Is there a particular store or restaurant that you would like to see here?

Being a baby boomer myself..and living on a budget to retire early.. I will not predict on the influx of boomers to follow. You have to remember that all baby boomers are not rich..or have..or had high paying jobs.

I know that the Villages is wooing the more affluent, while resales will catch the eye of the less bountiful.

There is room for us all, not matter our finances which is why it is such a great place to live. My amenities pay for the same things as those with larger bank accounts. I am just as rich in happiness, health, family, and love.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Kitria:

Thanks and well said. I fully understand the various economic strata that comprise the Boomer generation. We come from all walks of life, lifestyles and jobs and we all have different expectations concerning retirement. I was responding to EJW's wish to have an upscale restraurant locate here. It distill down to a simple business decision. Consider a couple of simple business models. First, low price, low overhead, high volume....this works here...its proven. Second, high price, high overhead, low volume....this is risky here. Eg. 200 transactions per night x $20 per transaction versus 50 transactions per night x $80 per transaction. High-end restaurants establish where there are lots high-end spenders. It's a business decision.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 AM

i miss Borders Books - they seemed to have better selection than the Barnes and Noble at Sumter Landing.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Costco, Trader Joes and Olive Garden! There is a new coffee shop at Baylee Plaza which has great coffee and fabulous breakfast sandwiches etc.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 PM
djagent1

I would love to see The Original Pancake House. Now don't confuse this with IHOP. Definitely not close to being the same. Original Pancake House is famous for their Apple Pancake. It takes three people to eat one Apple Pancake. And it is so good. We have this restaurant on the East Coast of Fla. Md., N. C. just to name a few states. Once you trythis restaurant you are hooked.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitria
Being a baby boomer myself..and living on a budget to retire early.. I will not predict on the influx of boomers to follow. You have to remember that all baby boomers are not rich..or have..or had high paying jobs.

I know that the Villages is wooing the more affluent, while resales will catch the eye of the less bountiful.

There is room for us all, not matter our finances which is why it is such a great place to live. My amenities pay for the same things as those with larger bank accounts. I am just as rich in happiness, health, family, and love.
AMEN! THANKS!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM

We do need a fabric/craft store. WalMart has nothing to speak of. I hate to go shopping outside of The Villages.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM

I'd like to see Sweet Tomatoes!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Send a message via MSN to funnygirl

Love Trader Joes and I miss Costco. BJ's would be nice. We need a Macy's too.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 AM

How would anybody think a good needlepoint store would do in the villages? I owned a store in Boca Raton for 14 years. I really thought I would be able to open here however, after talking to a lot of people , it seems no one needlepoints????? I would appreciate any in put anyone can give me. It would appear like a good idea but I heard that 2 craft stores closed in the villages ? We have only been here 6 weeks. So we are still in the thinking stage before we jump into something. Anxious to hear your comments.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM

I ALSO HAD HEARD THAT THAT THE STRIP ALONGSIDE OF BRUSTER'S WOULD HOUSE: OLIVE GARDEN AND RED LOBSTER BUT WAS TOLD THAT MARION IS BLOCKING ALL NEW BUSINESSES IN THAT AREA. THOSE RESTAURANTS WOULD DEFINITELY BE A GREAT ADDITION TO THE MULBERRY LANE BUSINESSES AND ADDING DUNKIN DONUTS WOULD REALLY TOP IT OFF. DON'T KNOW HOW OTHERS FEEL ABOUT IT BUT I THINK A GOOD "BREAKFAST" RESTAURANT WOULD ALSO BE A WELCOME SIGHT, GOING OUT FOR BREAKFAST AFTER AN EARLY TEE TIME WOULD BE GREAT.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Founder

We need a hardware store in Spanish Springs with less grouchy check out clerks.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 AM

[quote=jeansharon ]
I ALSO HAD HEARD THAT THAT THE STRIP ALONGSIDE OF BRUSTER'S WOULD HOUSE: OLIVE GARDEN AND RED LOBSTER BUT WAS TOLD THAT MARION IS BLOCKING ALL NEW BUSINESSES IN THAT AREA.

I agree a great breakfast/lunch/light dinner fare (i.e. maybe a diner) would do great up at the northern end of the villages. As a business owner along that strip, I am aware that Marion County has NOT been blocking any development, however rising construction costs and impact fees do play a significant role in deciding where to place a business.

In the area just past the Publix monument sign, there is planned another pharmacy, bank and possibly a movie theater or bowling alley. This is not on Villages proper, but adjacent to the east end of the Publix area.

Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Wegmans definitely. I would also like to see UNO - good food and very reasonable. I would also love to see a Macys. I miss having a mall nearby but it saves me a lot of money!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.