Is there some reason behind our street numbers?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
In most Villages they seem to be 4 digits. It seems there must be a reason why my address is 30xx even though my street only has 10 homes on it. Would seem more intuitive if my address was a single digit.

Does the first two digits have some special meaning like what village you're in or something like that?
Sumter and Marion counties use a quadrant grid system for location addressing. In Marion County it is centered at Fort King Street & Magnolia Avenue in Ocala. Since I live NN blocks east and 176 blocks south of that spot my address is NNxx SE 176th St. The Villages did not like the grid name, so they gave the streets non numerical names appended to the grid name.The idea behind the grid system is to aid emergency services dispatch. Most counties have Streets running east and west, Avenues running north and south. ACTC is the mnemonic. Avenues, Courts, Terraces, Circles North-South; SPLL, Streets, Places, Lanes, & Loops run East-West. Roads meander or run as diagonals.
If you really want to be confused, go to <www.Marionfl.org/home/showpublisheddocument/21649>
Should you go to Gainesville, none of this applies, the grid in Alachua County is 90 degrees off.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

[QUOTE=GATORBILL66;2208648]
Quote:
In most Villages they seem to be 4 digits. It seems there must be a reason why my address is 30xx even though my street only has 10 homes on it. Would seem more intuitive if my address was a single digit.

Does the first two digits have some special meaning like what village you're in or something like that?[/QUOTE

The Villages does not assign house number. The house numbers are pre assigned by The United States Postal Service.
Seriously? Then someone at USPS has a great sense of humor. I mean what are they expecting, one house on my street is x81 the next one to it is x93, the lots are postage stamp size - were they thinking in the future 5 houses would be built in between them?

Last edited by Velvet; 04-18-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Does the first two digits have some special meaning like what village you're in or something like that?
Official 911 addresses are assigned by a department of the county. In Sumter it is the Addressing Office.

Addressing | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Where I live in Mass house numbers correspond to the number of houses on a street. If Elm street have 45 houses they will be numbered 1 through 45. If there happens to be empty lots the numbers would jump by one for each lot. So the above Elm street if it had 45 houses and 2 empty lots the numbers would be 1 through 47 to allow for houses to be built on the 2 lots. Every other street in all the towns surrounding us use this same system. Every town I've ever lived in- and we've moved a lot also use this same system, so The Villages system seems strange to me. "It is for emergency services"- Why? If a First Responder needs to find 22 Elm street- they simply drive to 22 Elm St.
No offense, but that's not how it works. Each Town in Massachusetts chooses how to number homes on a street .... usually the Town Clerk.

They all vary. Some assign a street number to every 50' of frontage.

Much of the USA uses a completely different system, based on a "zero" line, either North-South or East-West. In most cases, the 1st two numbers are essentially an "area code" and the next 2 or 3 numbers are a sequential numbering.

In Florida, I believe the County is responsible for creating their own numbering system and it's usually based a North/South or East/West grid, with the first 2 numbers indicating the distance from the "zero point".

Sumter County has an "Address Office":

Marion County uses a different system.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
No offense, but that's not how it works. Each Town in Massachusetts chooses how to number homes on a street .... usually the Town Clerk.

They all vary. Some assign a street number to every 50' of frontage.

Much of the USA uses a completely different system, based on a "zero" line, either North-South or East-West. In most cases, the 1st two numbers are essentially an "area code" and the next 2 or 3 numbers are a sequential numbering.

In Florida, I believe the County is responsible for creating their own numbering system and it's usually based a North/South or East/West grid, with the first 2 numbers indicating the distance from the "zero point".

Sumter County has an "Address Office":

Marion County uses a different system.
Aha, that explains it then! With our curvy streets and cul-de-sacs in my area who would know if they were going north or south? So that wouldn’t be a great guide for numbering houses. Just about an hour ago, a person on my street (I sort of know) asked me to bring over something to her house. I asked her what is your house number (she lives on my street).? She looked at me, thought about it, then said, “Do you know Judy R?” I nodded. She said, “Well, I’m in the house right beside her, my name is on the sign.”

Last edited by Velvet; 04-19-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
I believe if you get a high majority of owners on your block to approve your numbers to be only 2 digits you then can hire an Attorney to proceed with the County in which you reside to have them changed to your liking.
After all, you have nothing better to do. Hopefully, your neighbors will agree with your expenditures for all.
Please advise me of your results.
What a snarky comment!

Like many people, I just like to understand the underlying reasons behind things and how things work. The numbers themselves don't bother me.
Closed Thread

Tags
address, digits, reason, street, single

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.