Thin skinned TVers

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Thin skinned TVers

Seems like there are a lot of touchy, thin skinned, people in TV based on a lot of posters comments. People always attacking someone for just stating their opinion on something. People reading a word or phrase as an insult to someone or something. It seems the PC epidemic has come to TV. It's like people are waiting to pounce on the next PC indiscretion. I thought oldsters were pretty much immune to words ruining their day considering that we have lived through all the challenges and crises in life. What ever happened to "live and let live"? Why can't people disagree and still be friendly? When did forums change from being a place to hear different perspectives on subjects to a venue to reinforce a group think position? Have forums morphed into nothing more than a Facebook page where only like minded "friends" are allowed in?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

misery likes company..sad to say
Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Seems like there are a lot of touchy, thin skinned, people in TV based on a lot of posters comments. People always attacking someone for just stating their opinion on something. People reading a word or phrase as an insult to someone or something. It seems the PC epidemic has come to TV. It's like people are waiting to pounce on the next PC indiscretion. I thought oldsters were pretty much immune to words ruining their day considering that we have lived through all the challenges and crises in life. What ever happened to "live and let live"? Why can't people disagree and still be friendly? When did forums change from being a place to hear different perspectives on subjects to a venue to reinforce a group think position? Have forums morphed into nothing more than a Facebook page where only like minded "friends" are allowed in?
It depends a bit on whom you criticize or what. There are some very passionate lovers of all things Villages on here.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-27-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Maybe the title of the thread should be Thin Skined TOTVers not TVers since you are basing your opinion on TOTV comments.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Sage

You called us oldsters?

A new guide for journalists warns against using terms which discriminate against people of a certain age.

'Senior', 'fossil' and 'biddy' have been blacklisted by the lexicon of unacceptable phrases, which has been compiled by an international think tank.
Instead, people aged over 50 should be referred to as 'older people' or simply 'man' or 'woman' followed by their age, the guide suggests.

'Old ladies' of both the 'little' and 'sweet' variety are also to be avoided, according to the report.

The guide says it aims to help journalists report stories about "older people" in a "fair contemporary and unbiased" manner.

The authors of the report state that 80 per cent of older Americans have been subjected to ageist stereotypes. "While names and characterizations may vary, the message is the same: older men and women are incompetent and lack sufficiency," the guide states.

Journalists are advised: "If you need to identify individuals over the age of 50, 'older adults' is preferred over 'senior' and 'elderly', which can be discriminatory in nature.

I agree with you. I don't find any of the above words including oldster offensive. Although I'm not quite ready to call myself elderly.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,005 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You called us oldsters?

A new guide for journalists warns against using terms which discriminate against people of a certain age.

'Senior', 'fossil' and 'biddy' have been blacklisted by the lexicon of unacceptable phrases, which has been compiled by an international think tank.
Instead, people aged over 50 should be referred to as 'older people' or simply 'man' or 'woman' followed by their age, the guide suggests.

'Old ladies' of both the 'little' and 'sweet' variety are also to be avoided, according to the report.

The guide says it aims to help journalists report stories about "older people" in a "fair contemporary and unbiased" manner.

The authors of the report state that 80 per cent of older Americans have been subjected to ageist stereotypes. "While names and characterizations may vary, the message is the same: older men and women are incompetent and lack sufficiency," the guide states.

Journalists are advised: "If you need to identify individuals over the age of 50, 'older adults' is preferred over 'senior' and 'elderly', which can be discriminatory in nature.

I agree with you. I don't find any of the above words including oldster offensive. Although I'm not quite ready to call myself elderly.
Call me anything you want, but don't call me late for dinner. I have little use for all the PC nonsense. Something is what it is, regardless of what you call it---"A rose by any other name"
Old 09-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Gold member

Sad part is, you don't even know who these people are or what state they are in. They may be teenagers living up North some where or another country.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You called us oldsters?

The "Posse" has all those ageist terms written down in their headquarters where they fill up their squirt guns. Some of the posse are very thin skinned. They have just added seventy seven new recruits. It is not safe to poke fun at old-er people or talk down to them, marginalize them or try to be excluded from their amazing presence. They have super soakers and are very thin skinned. AND hair trigger. YOU COULD BE DRENCHED.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Some people think others are touchy, while others think some people are just plain rude.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Sage
Default Thin skinned TVers

Too broad and negative. I don't accept the premise. What the op speaks of certainly exists, but it applies to a very small minority of posters

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-27-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The "Posse" has all those ageist terms written down in their headquarters where they fill up their squirt guns. Some of the posse are very thin skinned. They have just added seventy seven new recruits. It is not safe to poke fun at old-er people or talk down to them, marginalize them or try to be excluded from their amazing presence. They have super soakers and are very thin skinned. AND hair trigger. YOU COULD BE DRENCHED.
I'm completely bald. I find hair triggers hurtful. Can't you find a better name? And if I have a choice, soup or soakers--I'll take the soup. I have to roast my chicken legs now, I'll be back later.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Sage

Having been on here for awhile, I think the forum has more posters who just like to say something negative as opossed to several years ago where people made friends and respected each others point of view. There was a time where almost everyone wanted to help all new posters and took the time and effort to respond to all newbies.

Agreeing to disagree respectfully, is something that doesn't happen a lot. Most people don't take the time to elucidate their point of view.

Some people may say, "insensitive clods" are welcomed, as their point of view is the "only" point of view. Maybe it's sensitive, old me.

Some people have left the forum because it wasn't worth the effort to read a lot of junk especially from people who have the attitude, "it's all about me" and what I say.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,315 Times in 547 Posts
Default Excellent Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Having been on here for awhile, I think the forum has more posters who just like to say something negative as opossed to several years ago where people made friends and respected each others point of view. There was a time where almost everyone wanted to help all new posters and took the time and effort to respond to all newbies.

Agreeing to disagree respectfully, is something that doesn't happen a lot. Most people don't take the time to elucidate their point of view.

Some people may say, "insensitive clods" are welcomed, as their point of view is the "only" point of view. Maybe it's sensitive, old me.

Some people have left the forum because it wasn't worth the effort to read a lot of junk especially from people who have the attitude, "it's all about me" and what I say.
Excellent post 2BNTV.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Post 3 under Need Help with Gas Stove Leak is a perfect example of what is wrong with ONLY A FEW of the posters on this forum, but enough to make one take pose before voicing an opinion.

Tags
people, thin, live, forums, lot, skinned, life, change, crises, place, happened, disagree, friendly, group, page, facebook, minded, in?confused, allowed, friends, venue, subjects, perspectives, reinforce, morphed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.