Thin skinned TVers

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Perhaps the problem is the way in which the opinion is stated. It seems that this topic comes up often.
IMHO, there is a difference between criticism and critique. When I write something that that will be on the internet forvfer., I hope I am wise enough to couch it in kind, gracious way. Being Irish I try to use Irish Diplomacy which is defined as the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip. One does not have to demean another to state their opinion or their opposition. I would not think I have thin skin if I am offended by someone attacking me personally in public. I would consider them as rude. Possibly there are too many rude, negative remarks made here. We do not all have to agree on everything, or anything; we should, however, be adult enough to agree to disagree and go on enjoying the wonderful place God has gifted us to live.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Platinum member
Default Thin skin???

Are we too thin skinned or are we too rude? We have visited this problem before but I believe it warrants being visited again, If I am going to say something on the internet, which will be there forever, I hope I use good old Irish Diplomacy whic is defined as the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.
If one has a need to disagree with another person, action, or opinion hopefully it will be done graciously and will be accepted graciously.
In a disagreement the two sides just need to agree to disagree and get back to enjoying the beautiful place in which God has gifted us to live.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Are we too thin skinned or are we too rude? We have visited this problem before but I believe it warrants being visited again, If I am going to say something on the internet, which will be there forever, I hope I use good old Irish Diplomacy whic is defined as the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.
If one has a need to disagree with another person, action, or opinion hopefully it will be done graciously and will be accepted graciously.
In a disagreement the two sides just need to agree to disagree and get back to enjoying the beautiful place in which God has gifted us to live.
Yes, there are people on the board who don't understand that you can disagree without being disagreeable. It is eminently possible to criticize someone's opinion without also castigating the person. No matter who you are or where you are from, your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion, and of no more value than that.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I guess this means I have to stop referring to Village Residents (myself included) as Wrinklies?
I think we all need to have a sense of humor as we age and be able to laugh at ourselves.

Forums are places where all can express their point of view, and other can opine on it.
I think we should take Forum Comments with a "grain of salt".
IMHO, it's the nature of Forums to be "rough and tumble" and we should try not to be overly sensitive.
And there is always the good old Ignore List if someone in particular is getting on your nerves.
A woman attorney friend of mine grew up in Scottsdale, AZ back in the 60's (before sunscreen). She told me they used to refer to the older women who hung out at the pools taking in a lot of sun as "alligator ladies". She admitted it wasn't nice but alligator hide was pretty much what their skin looked like after years and years of sunbathing. I told her I thought that there were no alligators in Arizona...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Having been on here for awhile, I think the forum has more posters who just like to say something negative as opossed to several years ago where people made friends and respected each others point of view. There was a time where almost everyone wanted to help all new posters and took the time and effort to respond to all newbies.

Agreeing to disagree respectfully, is something that doesn't happen a lot. Most people don't take the time to elucidate their point of view.

Some people may say, "insensitive clods" are welcomed, as their point of view is the "only" point of view. Maybe it's sensitive, old me.

Some people have left the forum because it wasn't worth the effort to read a lot of junk especially from people who have the attitude, "it's all about me" and what I say.
Excellent and kind as usual Joe. Thank God for you. Maybe we should split out two groups like we did for politics, Those who wish to be rude if they want and those who do not want to hear it. That way neither group will have to wade through the others minutia.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Excellent and kind as usual Joe. Thank God for you. Maybe we should split out two groups like we did for politics, Those who wish to be rude if they want and those who do not want to hear it. That way neither group will have to wade through the others minutia.
No need for another disparate group - just use the 'ignore' button and eliminate reading posts from those who upset you...no wading!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:45 AM

I always thought we should celebrate our differences - in reality and in beliefs. One of the most attractive parts of TV, for me, is that we have so many different people from varied background that we can interact with. Doesn't it really get down to giving each other dignity and respect? That is a non-negotiable.

Last edited by Jamespdunn45; 09-28-2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Error
Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Gold member
Default Sounds like some of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Seems like there are a lot of touchy, thin skinned, people in TV based on a lot of posters comments. People always attacking someone for just stating their opinion on something. People reading a word or phrase as an insult to someone or something. It seems the PC epidemic has come to TV. It's like people are waiting to pounce on the next PC indiscretion. I thought oldsters were pretty much immune to words ruining their day considering that we have lived through all the challenges and crises in life. What ever happened to "live and let live"? Why can't people disagree and still be friendly? When did forums change from being a place to hear different perspectives on subjects to a venue to reinforce a group think position? Have forums morphed into nothing more than a Facebook page where only like minded "friends" are allowed in?
*ahem*(no names here)are focusing on the negative aspects of forums...there are many back-and-froths here that aren't negative...perhaps focusing on them would be better...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

PEACE and LOVE for all.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespdunn45 View Post
I always thought we should celebrate our differences - in reality and in beliefs. One of the most attractive parts of TV, for me, is that we have so many different people from varied background that we can interact with. Doesn't it really get down to giving each other dignity and respect? That is a non-negotiable.

You are right. It is all how it is said. I think that this has a LOT to do with how we were raised and where we lived in our childhood. I think some people are generally far more direct on a day to day basis. different than the people who I grew up with in Ohio. Probably not different in their heart but in their style of speaking..

Just as Salybow said, it is a matter of diplomacy and tact and some can tell people to go to Hell and make them look forward to the trip.

What I hate among posters is the changing of their names. There are those who have been kicked off and continue to come back under a new name. It sometimes takes awhile for the Admin and moderators to find these returning troublemakers because there is software that can disguise a computer address. For the troublemakers, it is a game.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right. It is all how it is said. I think that this has a LOT to do with how we were raised and where we lived in our childhood. I think some people are generally far more direct on a day to day basis. different than the people who I grew up with in Ohio. Probably not different in their heart but in their style of speaking..

Just as Salybow said, it is a matter of diplomacy and tact and some can tell people to go to Hell and make them look forward to the trip.

What I hate among posters is the changing of their names. There are those who have been kicked off and continue to come back under a new name. It sometimes takes awhile for the Admin and moderators to find these returning troublemakers because there is software that can disguise a computer address. For the troublemakers, it is a game.
Hate seems a little harsh. There are many reasons people change their names on web sites. Some as simple as picking a name that does not fit them or even misspelling. I would recommend paying attention to what people say and not what you may think they mean. I prefer to look for the good in everyone rather than make snap judgements of others."
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimturner View Post
hate seems a little harsh. There are many reasons people change their names on web sites. Some as simple as picking a name that does not fit them or even misspelling. I would recommend paying attention to what people say and not what you may think they mean. I prefer to look for the good in everyone rather than make snap judgements of others."

But not so many reasons people are asked to leave a forum. And return with another name, over and over and over again.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-29-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps the problem is the way in which the opinion is stated. It seems that this topic comes up often.
IMHO, there is a difference between criticism and critique. When I write something that that will be on the internet forvfer., I hope I am wise enough to couch it in kind, gracious way. Being Irish I try to use Irish Diplomacy which is defined as the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip. One does not have to demean another to state their opinion or their opposition. I would not think I have thin skin if I am offended by someone attacking me personally in public. I would consider them as rude. Possibly there are too many rude, negative remarks made here. We do not all have to agree on everything, or anything; we should, however, be adult enough to agree to disagree and go on enjoying the wonderful place God has gifted us to live.
I find "Irish Diplomacy" to be disingenuous and ruder than just saying what you think straight out, minus any hurtful words or phrases. Irish Diplomacy could also be called manipulation, which to me is deceitful.

I would rather everyone be honest about how they feel.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimturner View Post
Hate seems a little harsh. There are many reasons people change their names on web sites. Some as simple as picking a name that does not fit them or even misspelling. I would recommend paying attention to what people say and not what you may think they mean. I prefer to look for the good in everyone rather than make snap judgements of others."
This is a great philosophy, but IMHO some people are just nastya$$ people.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I find "Irish Diplomacy" to be disingenuous and ruder than just saying what you think straight out, minus any hurtful words or phrases. Irish Diplomacy could also be called manipulation, which to me is deceitful.

I would rather everyone be honest about how they feel.

Wait C.

Do you like my hat?
No it makes your face look broader and plays up the rosacea.

Irish Diplomacy.
Do you like my hat?
I have always loved red.

Tags
people, thin, live, forums, lot, skinned, life, change, crises, place, happened, disagree, friendly, group, page, facebook, minded, in?confused, allowed, friends, venue, subjects, perspectives, reinforce, morphed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.