Thinking of coming down

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2021, 05:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts
Default Thinking of coming down

We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Well Gary...I suggest you do as you please. I think that comes with being an adult and when you depend on complete strangers to suggest a plan of action then you should likely stay where you are till your wife is able to go with you.

That'll be $400 for the assist.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't know where you're coming from or the weather, here on Saturday it will be 87 and sunny. What do you do when you're here, do you own a place, are you looking for a place to buy, I don't know your plans or schedule. That's a long drive non-stop, the most I ever did was 21 hours from Tulsa to Savannah, but I was younger than today.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:49 PM

That's a lot of driving for 10 days in Florida. Are there any cheap flights available? IF you have a cart you could get away without having a car, just take a shuttle to/from the airport.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
You also have to think about how you are going to feel after the second shot. The last thing you want to do is that drive alone and having a reaction to the second shot.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Considering how much is closed due to the virus why not wait at least until the vaccine has taken hold.

In the words of Confucious he who buys house without wife is an idiot.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:41 PM

Take your time my friend......yur visit will be better spent.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Go for it!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I don't know where you're coming from or the weather, here on Saturday it will be 87 and sunny. What do you do when you're here, do you own a place, are you looking for a place to buy, I don't know your plans or schedule. That's a long drive non-stop, the most I ever did was 21 hours from Tulsa to Savannah, but I was younger than today.
Coming from Mass and I cannot go outside much because of the cold and snow. The cold goes right through me and I can’t afford to fall. We own a house there for 2 years now. We were down a week in Nov., a week in Jan and will be down for a week in April to close up for the summer. Since I am retired was just hoping to get more time.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
That's a lot of driving for 10 days in Florida. Are there any cheap flights available? IF you have a cart you could get away without having a car, just take a shuttle to/from the airport.
Unfortunately I cannot fly right now so driving is the option. We drove down for a week in Nov and a week in Jan.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Considering how much is closed due to the virus why not wait at least until the vaccine has taken hold.

In the words of Confucious he who buys house without wife is an idiot.
I might wait a few days but I do miss our house down there.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:31 AM
Location: Rhode Island native now full time resident of St Johns.

I am an R.N. and although I could not get the Covid vaccine due to having had severe allergic reactions to an H1N1 vaccine and other injectable meds in the past, many of my colleagues received their 1st and 2nd vaccine doses (Moderna) and pretty much all of them felt pretty punky following. Most described feeling like they had a mild flu and very fatigued. That being said don't think any of my colleagues following getting their 2nd vaccine dose would have been up to making a 20 hour drive especially alone.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Well Gary...I suggest you do as you please. I think that comes with being an adult and when you depend on complete strangers to suggest a plan of action then you should likely stay where you are till your wife is able to go with you.

That'll be $400 for the assist.
Agree. Why would the opinion of strangers be important or necessary? Do what you want. No one can advise you!!
Old 02-24-2021, 05:45 AM

Airplane, bus, train? Many ways to get here. You don't really need a car when you're here...can get to everything you need in a golf cart.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I would suggest NOT leaving right after your 2nd Covid shot. There is the definite possibility that you will experience side effects.
Closed Thread

Tags
great, drive, wife, early, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.