Thoughts and advice for a patio, lanai

Thoughts and advice for a patio, lanai

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Thank you for your input. I get the feeling to go larger rather than smaller. I also like the idea of a covered lanai and then extending the birdcage.
Do you find the birdcage gets really dirty? Is it a huge job to keep it clean?

Thanks once again!

Old 05-29-2019, 05:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It depends on whether you have a lot of birds and squirrels that like to hang out on top of the bird cage. I have a friend who is always inventing new gadgets to scare the birds away because of the continual bird droppings that fall into his pool from the top of the bird cage. Also, bird cages can be damaged by wind.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-29-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It depends on whether you have a lot of birds and squirrels that like to hang out on top of the bird cage. I have a friend who is always inventing new gadgets to scare the birds away because of the continual bird droppings that fall into his pool from the top of the bird cage. Also, bird cages can be damaged by wind.
We have been in The Villages 17 years. Our Lanai was screen when we first moved in, then after one spring of Pollen covering everything, day after day we enclosed with Vinyl Four Track sliders. We enjoyed them for many years (when it wasn't too hot or too cold out), but two years ago they needed replacement, so we put in Glass Picture Windows and a couple slider windows. We now can use the Lanai all year around (with heat and air). If we had it to do again, we would do Glass windows first! Because the weather is HOT for at least four months and cold for a month or two in the winter sometimes , the Lanai was not comfortable to spend time in. Now it's a year around room!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy59 View Post
Do you find the birdcage gets really dirty?
Maybe it depends on whether there are trees nearby.

One day we were driving on Conservation Trail in Pine Hills and saw a beautiful house for sale. I think the price was $1.4M. The house was locked but the lanai was unlocked and people were looking at it, so we went in as well.

The lanai and birdcage were huge and the pool was awesome. However, there were live oak trees nearby and the birdcage area was filthy.

My wife and I decided the house would only be acceptable if I could have a full-time Swedish maid to keep the house clean and she could have a full-time Latin pool boy to take care of the lanai.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy59 View Post
Thank you for your input. I get the feeling to go larger rather than smaller. I also like the idea of a covered lanai and then extending the birdcage.
Do you find the birdcage gets really dirty? Is it a huge job to keep it clean?

Thanks once again!
Certain times of the year pollen needs to be cleaned off table tops, and an occasional hosedown on the ground surface is necessary. Quick and easy maintenance. Once or twice a year I have the power wash company Egner's do their thing on the surface, furniture, frame, and screens. Very reasonable (under $100). The benefit of an all year outdoor bug and critter free area to enjoy the Florida sky while lounging is what a birdcage us all about.

There are several of them in my neighborhood that are 10+ years old and all made ut through Irma intact and undamaged.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 AM

We have contracted with The Pergola Kings to add a "Santa Fe Pergola" to the back of our house. We are kind of limited by the size of our lot, but chose to do the absolute maximum allowed. We spend a huge amount of time on our lanai and wanted more space. For those not familiar with the Sante Fe Pergola, it has a solid roof and screened sides. Looks like a regular pergola, but since it has a solid roof, it offers both shade and protection from rain and screen to keep out bugs.

Tags
advice, thoughts, patio, lanai, screen