Tipping floor installers

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickshaw1 View Post
I own a retail floor covering store in Massachusetts. Tipping is not expected. That said on the rare instances our Well Paid (among the highest paid in our organization) crews do receive a tip you’d think they had just won the lottery. If a client gives them say $20 each....they are so happy. It’s not the money. It’s knowing that the client Appreciated what they had done...especially if the work is especially intricate or the materials especially heavy to work with. If our installers receive even a modest tip they tell the Whole store about it.
I’d say tip only if you feel you received exceptional service. (Though even then it is not necessary)
(From a floor store owner)
Thank you very much for that informed piece of information. That just backs up my own thoughts on the matter from knowing about things from up north but I don’t want to base everything just on my opinion. Information is always appreciated
Old 01-22-2020, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" and there shouldn't be one. Any tipping you do should be based on what you feel is warranted.
Tipping I think should be optional. If you do it to be nice that is nice or do some people think they don’t make enough from their employer. Me myself think the employer should pay them enough & not making the home owner to make up the difference in their pay. But it is nice that some people tip! I agree with RETIREDGUY!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

As a matter of fact, I had vinyl plank installed Monday & Tuesday. There were two men and I tipped each one a $20 because I wanted to.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Since many that provide services are way down the food chain, and since I have been blessed with the ability to share, if the person does an exceptional job or provides a service not expected, I will tip. Many of these folks are struggling while their supervisors and business owners, who have the ability to help, don't. The amounts aren't significant, $20 - $25 usually, but it sends a message that they are appreciated.
I agree. I don’t always tip in these situations, but do when I can and when warranted. But I don’t think there is a simple rule of thumb. It’s a personal matter as to how you feel about the job they do and your own financial situation.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
One Response: I have never tipped a floor installer.
Your right dewilson, it's their job & they get paid for their work by their employers & not tipping them to up their salary! But if someone wants to tip them, that's your privilege.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
Is there a rule of thumb for tipping floor installers? We are having 1200 square feet of laminate installed by 3 guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" and there shouldn't be one. Any tipping you do should be based on what you feel is warranted.
What else needs to be said?
Old 01-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Tipping...dirty word for many here in TV.

And so many wonder why wait staff leave restaurants.

Tipping seems to be a regional thing. Usually people west of the Hudson River will be kinda squeeky with tips.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I tipped the floor installers, painters and bathroom reno guys each $20. We tip the shrub guys because it is a big undertaking.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Tipping...dirty word for many here in TV.

And so many wonder why wait staff leave restaurants.

Tipping seems to be a regional thing. Usually people west of the Hudson River will be kinda squeeky with tips.
Some think it's a dirty word and some think it's a city in China! Like I said at Christmas..... people that want to tip do it and the rest..... well you get the picture.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
As a matter of fact, I had vinyl plank installed Monday & Tuesday. There were two men and I tipped each one a $20 because I wanted to.
Good for you.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:31 PM

Self employed persons pay both sides of Medicare, Social Security, liability insurance, truck maintenance & most likely don’t have health insurance. That $40 per hour doesn’t go far once expenses factor in.
Closed Thread

Tags
tipping, installers, floor, laminate, square

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.