Today at 5:23 PM Thanks for the complaints!

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,697 Times in 604 Posts

really sucks. nice job, deed compliance folks
Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Maybe everyone should just go back and actually read their deed restrictions they have already agreed to and then go by what they say.....then there will be no disagreements.
I think everyone agrees that we have stringent deed restrictions, at least in the newer areas.
I think the conflict is about whether we have a "duty" to complain about any and all infractions.
Or we if should refrain from complaining unless we are truly offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
But let's be honest in every neighborhood there is that yard that looks like walmart garden shop vomited on it.
OK, that's sounds awful. IMHO, it would be grounds for a call to Deed Compliance.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Beck View Post
It seems that there is no way to reach a happy median between the "everything goes" and the get rid of it all" residents. Perhaps there is a solution that will make both camps equally unhappy and therefore equitable. As the past chairman of the Nassau County Code Enforcement Board (Just north east of Jacksonville), I have a bit of experience in this type of "cat fight". When I took the chairmanship of the board residents where able to file complaints with out giving their name. In short we had our "97" type complainers.
When we forced the complainant to give their name the complaints dropped dramatically. The property owners that were cited were then given a period to correct the infraction or request to appear before the enforcement board. This board was made up of seven county residents and the county attorney. Both sides were given an opportunity to be heard and photos were shown of the alleged infraction. In short we could decide neighbor to neighbor where the 8" statue should be considered offensive or decorative and in good taste. Individuals that were cited were allowed to bring others to testify in their behalf, in short neighbors who had no objections to the alleged infraction.

I realize that it would take a bit of work to set up a system such as this but considering the time spent here on this subject......
Code enforcement and covenant enforcement are entirely different. Covenants are contractual agreements between the parties subject to the contract and as such anyone subject can bring action. Depending upon the provisions of the covenant, either a supermajority or all must agree to a modification. An 8" infraction is equal in substance to a three foot infracrion The testimony would be to the question " Is there an infraction or not" ?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM

Oh my. Oh my. We have a village full of 97 scofflaws, and the developer drops the hammer. Somebody should stifle that mean developer.

Imagine. Enforcing deed restrictions.

Oh dear, I bet somebody here probably signed restrictions that only apply to everybody else.

Yeah. That's it.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Are the US Flags on poles in front an exception?? or just protected from the "condo nazis" by the second admendment?
I know they are all over in our district. I don't believe a flag pole could be considered a lawn ornament unless you use it for uses otherwise intended. On our street there about 7 where our house is. When the developement first sold out the neighbors all helped each other place and set the poles. One was a former VCDD member and former marine. When we moved in the rope was missing . There was no shortage of help available when I repaired it and hoist ed our flag.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Are the US Flags on poles in front an exception?? or just protected from the "condo nazis" by the second admendment?
"Condo Nazis" Not appropriate reference. Why can't we discuss vigorously without becomming venemous?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I didn't give two seconds thought at closing about yard gnomes. All I thought about was we made it. That's right. We made it and bought our house. I didn't give it another thought until this thread started. In my past life there were association people that dealt with violations. No, I'm not asking for this, but it worked. Simply stating what I have experienced so probably what I expected. I certainly would not expect that a person with no vested interest could cause this kind of grief. 97 people had their lives changed in some way because one person complained. I have a friend who has a stone in her garden with her sons name who was killed in Iraq so we would have the freedom to debate gnomes. It is well hidden but if you go in her garden you can find it if you have nothing better to do or on a vendetta. To me it isn't as simple as rules are rules. Do we want all houses to be identical with no personality? Some might say this is what the restrictions say.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
"Condo Nazis" Not appropriate reference. Why can't we discuss vigorously without becomming venemous?
A quick google search shows that term being used since 2008. Maybe not PC by today's standards, but one used many times as a descriptive for overzealous HOA leaders.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Gold member

Remember this one?

Controversy brewing over statue of the Virgin Mary in The... | www.wftv.com
Old 05-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I didn't give two seconds thought at closing about yard gnomes. All I thought about was we made it. That's right. We made it and bought our house. I didn't give it another thought until this thread started. In my past life there were association people that dealt with violations. No, I'm not asking for this, but it worked. Simply stating what I have experienced so probably what I expected. I certainly would not expect that a person with no vested interest could cause this kind of grief. 97 people had their lives changed in some way because one person complained. I have a friend who has a stone in her garden with her sons name who was killed in Iraq so we would have the freedom to debate gnomes. It is well hidden but if you go in her garden you can find it if you have nothing better to do or on a vendetta. To me it isn't as simple as rules are rules. Do we want all houses to be identical with no personality? Some might say this is what the restrictions say.
I don't your friend but I must say I'm sorry to hear of her loss. The 97 complaints to which I understand was just the tip of the iceberg was only done out of hatred by someone with a deep sickness. Someone with lack of social skills. I only hope they get the help they need.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I don't your friend but I must say I'm sorry to hear of her loss. The 97 complaints to which I understand was just the tip of the iceberg was only done out of hatred by someone with a deep sickness. Someone with lack of social skills. I only hope they get the help they need.
My guess is, as others have speculated, that the person who complained was reacting to having had someone do the same to them.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Since this is Mothers Day, let me quote my mom: two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
A quick google search shows that term being used since 2008. Maybe not PC by today's standards, but one used many times as a descriptive for overzealous HOA leaders.
Doesn't make it right!! Civil discourse not name calling.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Doesn't make it right!! Civil discourse not name calling.
Didn't say it was right. I explained background of a term. Try to focus more on the content of posts and not on trying to divert the attention to something else.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Didn't say it was right. I explained background of a term. Try to focus more on the content of posts and not on trying to divert the attention to something else.
They name calling was , in fact , part of the content of the post. My point was , stop the name calling and talk rationally and civily about the subject at hand. Rational civil discourse will produce more light and much less heat.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.