Toilet Tip

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Interesting. There is a sticker inside the tank that has the model numbers for the Kohler replacement parts and mine says the cannister is a "dual flush" item. My house was built in 2015, and I have seen a lot of houses built before and after that with identical toilets as mine. I guess you need to check to verify which type you have. I think the builder should explain to home buyers which type they have because, with a single flush handle, many people don't know they have a dual flush toilet.
It’s definitely a single flush. Uses 1.28 gpf.

Yours is a dual flush if it’s the 4407.

Last edited by Hardlyworking; 05-06-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:56 PM

Ours are model 4467 and are 1.28 gallon single flush.

And for those wondering, the Kohler site also listed this:
Notice to California Customers
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Old 05-06-2023, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,536 Times in 2,136 Posts

I suspect the K4407 stamped into the tank is the design of the tank itself, not the flush mechanism.

If you have a black, hollow canister and a single-piece lever I believe that is officially a single-flush system. It works as you say, a quick release is about half the water in the tank and a longer release is the full tank, but it is not the official dual-flush mechanism.

The Kohler dual-flush mechanism has a two-part handle (offering two separate flushes) and a complicated, solid canister.

(at least according to the youtube DIY videos)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,717 Posts

Another classic ToTV's thread.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,985 Times in 5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I suspect the K4407 stamped into the tank is the design of the tank itself, not the flush mechanism.

If you have a black, hollow canister and a single-piece lever I believe that is officially a single-flush system. It works as you say, a quick release is about half the water in the tank and a longer release is the full tank, but it is not the official dual-flush mechanism.

The Kohler dual-flush mechanism has a two-part handle (offering two separate flushes) and a complicated, solid canister.

(at least according to the youtube DIY videos)
I don't know what you mean by an "official" dual-flush mechanism. My toilets have a Kohler sticker inside the tank that state that the replacement parts should be a "dual flush" mechanism, not a single flush mechanism. The handle is not a two part handle, but the toilet does function as a dual flush toilet. If you press the handle down and release it immediately, you get a light flush, but if you hold it down for a second or two, you get a heavy flush. I think that is the way it is designed to function, but they may have refined the design of later models to use a two part handle and a different canister. But, according to the 2014 Kohler document on my tank (and hundreds of others in The Villages), the toilet is a dual flush toilet.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-07-2023 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,536 Times in 2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what you mean by an "official" dual-flush mechanism. My toilets have a Kohler sticker inside the tank that state that the replacement parts should be a "dual flush" mechanism, not a single flush mechanism. The handle is not a two part handle, but the toilet does function as a dual flush toilet. If you press the handle down and release it immediately, you get a light flush, but if you hold it down for a second or two, you get a heavy flush. I think that is the way it is designed to function, but they may have refined the design of later models to use a two part handle and a different canister. But, according to the 2014 Kohler document on my tank (and hundreds of others in The Villages), the toilet is a dual flush toilet.
My 2014 sticker lists part numbers of replacement seals for both dual-flush and single-flush parts. I understood that to mean that if I had a dual-flush mechanism I chose those part numbers and if I had a single-flush mechanism I chose the other part numbers. Perhaps we have different stickers.

By "official" I mean the complicated, solid canister system sold as a dual-flush canister that works with either two buttons on the top of the tank or a two-piece handle.

Again, I agree that the mechanism with the hollow tube canister that I have works the way you describe. Maybe you are correct and the presence of a tube indicates a dual-flush system and it was modified in subsequent years to use the solid canister and two-piece handle.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-07-2023, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,985 Times in 5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My 2014 sticker lists part numbers of replacement seals for both dual-flush and single-flush parts. I understood that to mean that if I had a dual-flush mechanism I chose those part numbers and if I had a single-flush mechanism I chose the other part numbers. Perhaps we have different stickers.

By "official" I mean the complicated, solid canister system sold as a dual-flush canister that works with either two buttons on the top of the tank or a two-piece handle.

Again, I agree that the mechanism with the hollow tube canister that I have works the way you describe. Maybe you are correct and the presence of a tube indicates a dual-flush system and it was modified in subsequent years to use the solid canister and two-piece handle.
Agreed
Old 05-08-2023, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Another classic ToTV's thread.

Is this related to the dog poop thread?
Old 05-08-2023, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Don't know much about "toilet tipping" but there was a time when some of the farm boys used to tip cows.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,533 Times in 2,583 Posts

Another simple solution to save on water, is to put a house brick in tank.
(Recommend you take brick out to clear the aftermath of a Vindaloo.)
Closed Thread

Tags
tank, grit, flush, handle, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.