Top Tier Gas at BJ'S

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2023, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,145 Times in 819 Posts
Default Top Tier Gas at BJ'S

I just read here BJ'S gas is not Top Tier.

Frequently Asked Questions

BJ’s Gas Top Tier?
“No” is a suitable answer to the question: Is BJ’s gasoline top tier? Although it is not one of the major gas station chains, BJ’s Gas is favored by many people, particularly among middle-class households, thanks to its affordable gas prices.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

BJ’s Gas Top Tier?
“No” is a suitable answer to the question: Is BJ’s gasoline top tier? Although it is not one of the major gas station chains, BJ’s Gas is favored by many people, particularly among middle-class households, thanks to its affordable gas prices.
Is there anything else you read today you think we should know about?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-29-2023, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,883 Times in 5,317 Posts

If they buy gas from several different suppliers, they would have no way to determine if the gas at the pump is top tier or not. If you want top tier gas, you need to buy it from a station that only uses one supplier. Personally, I think top tier gas is a scam because they charge a fee to get the designation.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

Quote:

BJ’s Gas Top Tier?
Never had a problem with BJ’s gasoline. Most gasoline stations receive fuel drops by unbranded petroleum distributed. We've been using them for years unleaded regular consistent mpg. Guess we’re middle class. We love close to 466a fuel in that area is around $3.15 to $3.37 currently Bj’s and Sam’s 2.96 plus we receive an additional $.10 with their credit card. When in need of fuel we use what's available.
“It cost the same to drive with a full tank as an almost empty tank”.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

BJ’s Gas Top Tier?
Are there low and high tier refineries and pipelines?
Old 06-29-2023, 12:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,228 Times in 931 Posts

A number of years ago my Dad drove a gasoline delivery truck in Omaha, NE. He would go to a tank farm for the gas. There were a number of pipes that he connected to with a hose for filling his tanker trailer. These outlet pipes with no brand names on them. A driver simply hooked up with any unused pipe to fill their tanker. He had a sheaf of cards for the different gasoline brands sold at the various gas stations. There was a card reader that took the information contained in the card, that as far as he knew told the computer what additives that were needed for that particular gas brand. Didn't matter what brand the station was that needed gas, it all came from the same pipes at the terminal. The large storage tanks had no markings on them indicating any brand name.
I have never noticed any difference between brands of gasoline. I have driven in many U.S. states and European countries over 60 years of driving and have never had any problems or experienced reduced performance with any gasoline I used. Now, you can get gasoline that is contaminated with water and dirt from stations that don't keep their storage tanks cleaned out which will definitely cause problems in your vehicle. That is more likely the reason for different MPG or poorer performance.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
A number of years ago my Dad drove a gasoline delivery truck in Omaha, NE. He would go to a tank farm for the gas. There were a number of pipes that he connected to with a hose for filling his tanker trailer. These outlet pipes with no brand names on them. A driver simply hooked up with any unused pipe to fill their tanker. He had a sheaf of cards for the different gasoline brands sold at the various gas stations. There was a card reader that took the information contained in the card, that as far as he knew told the computer what additives that were needed for that particular gas brand. Didn't matter what brand the station
was that needed gas, it all came from the same pipes at the terminal. The large storage tanks had no markings on them indicating any brand name.
I have never noticed any difference between brands of gasoline. I have driven in many U.S. states and European countries over 60 years of driving and have never had any problems or experienced reduced performance with any gasoline I used. Now, you can get gasoline that is contaminated with water and dirt from stations that don't keep their storage tanks cleaned out which will definitely cause problems in your vehicle. That is more likely the reason for different MPG or poorer performance.
For Gasoline to be shipped to a pipeline that handles several brands of gasoline ALL of the gasoline is refined to a common pipeline specification for regular and high test. Refiners deliver their gasoline to the pipeline terminal where it is stored intermingled with other shippers product. The fungible (mutually interchangeable) gasoline is shipped to a delivery terminal. At this terminal each brand adds its specific additives at a specified ratio to meet the Brand specification. These additives usually contain detergents to help clean fuel injectors, gumout, etc.

Your Dad was correct. All of the gasoline in "regular gas" tanks was "identical/interchangeable". Any loading line provided the identical product before additives. All octanes, distillation specs etc. were the same. The Brands market their differences in the level of additives that are added as the gasoline was delivered to the tanker truck. The EPA and others have detergent levels but are lower than Top Tier

So the Tanker going to BJ's started with the same raw gasoline but gets different additive content. You will also note that Tankers going to BJ etc are labeled as to the Tanker Company not the eventual seller.

I worked for a major Refiner but use gasoline from several brands based on price and convenience. Differences in additives will show in the long run if at all. The various Refiners /Marketers know what the competition uses. Sam's, BVJ's, Wawa etc. gasoline started out as the same petroleum pipeline quality.

I think RG 123 had it correct that Top Tier is a marketing license mostly reflecting more additives. All of the major Brands are Top Tier. So using them say 60% of the time I expect that they help average out any off brand gasoline used.

My wife's 1999 Toyota has been handed down through the grandkids and now their cousins. It is approaching 400,000 miles on the original engine with no engine work ever. Auto and gasoline quality has greatly improved over the years.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Wait till he gets into bottled water.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:06 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,773 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
That's great, LOL, I love it !
Old 07-01-2023, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

A bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner every 6 months or so is all most cars need.
IMHO
Old 07-01-2023, 05:47 AM

I hope SECO is delivering “top-tier” electricity to my house to charge my EV.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
A number of years ago my Dad drove a gasoline delivery truck in Omaha, NE. He would go to a tank farm for the gas. There were a number of pipes that he connected to with a hose for filling his tanker trailer. These outlet pipes with no brand names on them. A driver simply hooked up with any unused pipe to fill their tanker. He had a sheaf of cards for the different gasoline brands sold at the various gas stations. There was a card reader that took the information contained in the card, that as far as he knew told the computer what additives that were needed for that particular gas brand. Didn't matter what brand the station was that needed gas, it all came from the same pipes at the terminal. The large storage tanks had no markings on them indicating any brand name.
My dad worked at an oil refinery for many years….you are right on the money when you say it all comes from the same filling lines, no matter what brand tanker is used to distribute.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:49 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV

Oh, my! Where can I get the TOP TIER gas my car "deserves?" Must I drive to Orlando? (Asking for a friend.)
Old 07-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

You may call it TOP TIER , I call it cheap gas. My cars don't seem to care what we call it...
Old 07-01-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Cheapest Gas Can Still Be Top Tier, If You Do Some Research - Consumer Reports

The above is a link to a consumers report article of top tier gas. It would seem most manufacturers recommend top tier gas because of the additives.

Most major brands of gasoline are top tier (including Costco). Their prices are competitive. Too many people looking to save 2 cents a gallon or 30 cents a fill up without considering the quality of gas they are buying. Mobil stations (mostly) do not charge extra for using a credit card. Using my Costco card gives me a 4% rebate on my gas purchases. Last time I bought gas at Walmart I noticed a drop in MPG driving back to West Palm Beach compared to when I bought from Mobil driving from WPB to here.

Tags
gas, top, tier, bj’s, bjs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.