TOTV Newsletter

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Xavier's Avatar
Xavier Xavier is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
If everyone is "guest", you will not be able to ignore anyone.

Z
True, you won't be able to ignore them automatically, but, if everyone puts their name at the end of their post (using only one name at a time, please), we'll know who is contributing or blocking. Rag123 and Bucco will have to work out their differences!

Xavier
__________________
My approach to today's politics: "Re-examine all you have been told. Dismiss what insults your soul" ~ Walt Whitman
  #32  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Rags123 Rags123 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 673
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
True, you won't be able to ignore them automatically, but, if everyone puts their name at the end of their post (using only one name at a time, please), we'll know who is contributing or blocking. Rag123 and Bucco will have to work out their differences!

Xavier
Allow me once again to clarify.

Yes, I am BUCCO and will change back to that. I was and still have an account BUCCO since the inception.

I changed my name because my views prompted unwanted PMs'. I discussed this with the moderator and instead of letting him persue the matter as suggested, I thought just changing my name might work.

Then, recently, one of the posters who I suppose was so intimidated in political took some offense to one of my posts and decided to call me out TWICE in public, which is fine. I was not nor ever hiding from anyone.

The posters you keep alluding to are in your mind the bad guys, however none of them every got thrown off here...on the other hand......and a poster suggested that I keep my "mouth" shut on those folks but hoping one of the first things to do on that forum would be to clear the air.....show those who have been thrown off are on their second or third name....call out those who posted on that garbage heap of a site and expressed opinions there while still posting here......I did a few times on there but as BUCCO, even though a poster who still posts here under his third name has accused me of posting there but not so

So, I surely welcome the chance to "work out my differences" BIG TIME. It might be a pleasure.
  #33  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Thanks: 180
Thanked 1,956 Times in 629 Posts
Default

I am back as BUCCO and hope that makes all happy !!!! Will stay under this name.

I agree with Gracie that the name calling is just plain childish. I do not do that and never have but will try to make an exception early on.....So many on here who are still here who RUINED the old political with actually, actions such as the name calling and reporting.

Instead of taking time to discuss issues, they demeaned, and ridiculed. THAT is not political discussion. Yep many got angry because I did homework , read and backed up what I posted. I maintained all TOTV rules and US copyright rules when posting and attacked nobody. I simply gave my opinion and backed it up and that seems to not set well with many !!!

I never mind anyone disagreeing with me using facts and accrediton. I do object to simply going the school yard route and name calling or as was one of the little games...get together and overwhelm the moderators with complaints.. VERY ADULT behavior.
  #34  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Sandtrap328's Avatar
Sandtrap328 Sandtrap328 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Personally, to me, the establishment of a political forum is a great idea but it is too early to set it up.

Right now, I believe it will be mainly the supporters of the majority party will be taking jabs at any action or perceived inaction by the President - and viceversa.

I will be waiting until the political parties are pretty sure of their candidates and I will be looking for constructive comments at that point.
  #35  
Old 02-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Wandatime's Avatar
Wandatime Wandatime is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The posts on this thread have ensured my absence on the political forum. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. I'm thinking the political forum will be one ugly duckling.

I believe I shall leave you all to your own fun and devices; I'll be in the Girl Talk forum or drooling over other people's DIY kitchens makeovers.
__________________

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West


  #36  
Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Fraugoofy Fraugoofy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,543
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Golf anyone?
  #37  
Old 02-05-2015, 12:42 AM
njbchbum's Avatar
njbchbum njbchbum is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Posts: 5,383
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 352 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
A political forum sounds like it could be very interesting. Chances are that it would evolve very quickly into mudslinging with quotes from candidates that made a slip of the tongue or a campaign worker made a gaffe. Everyone gets on top of those right away even though it is not the intent of whatever was said.

There are both liberals and conservatives here in The Villages. It would be interesting to hear valid viewpoints from both sides.

I really doubt if anyone's mind would be changed over comments or posts on a political forum but it would be interesting to see how others think.

Oh, you can be sure that there will be some shooting of the messengers when the posters cannot shoot down the message!

Your point about seeing how other people think is to me one of the best contributions that is made by having the political forum. Understanding why they think the way they do is also important to me - if I can understand one, I probably am understanding many.

What can be disappointing is finding out that there really are folks who just believe the 'talking points' and will not try to see beyond them or investigate and learn from other's opinions.

The political forum was always a great myriad of learning experiences to me. I am so happy to have its return!
__________________
Not sure if I have free time...or if I just forgot everything I was supposed to do!

  #38  
Old 02-05-2015, 02:17 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It is open. I posted at 11:40 AM this morning. Let's get it on! Xavier
You posted in the Political Forum this morning? Are you in there by yourself or have others joined you?
Can you tell us how to Opt in and "get it on".
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #39  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Thanks: 180
Thanked 1,956 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Personally, to me, the establishment of a political forum is a great idea but it is too early to set it up.

Right now, I believe it will be mainly the supporters of the majority party will be taking jabs at any action or perceived inaction by the President - and viceversa.

I will be waiting until the political parties are pretty sure of their candidates and I will be looking for constructive comments at that point.
Now, you have been in the old political forum and thus will not surprise you if I say, that "political" should mean current events and discussion of the issues that confront us daily.

Coming in with an attitude like this will hurt.....it is supposed to be an exchange of ideas on issues, and NEVER aimed at individuals

As far as your comment about the President, the President is the leader of our country. If you are not happy with the policy of the country, then I suppose any disatisfaction could be construed as aimed at the President. HOWEVER, unless anyone actually attacks him personally, that is what the office is all about.

As you recall from way back in Political when you were an active member, our previous President took a lot of heat also, and it goes with that territory.

I would hope that any forum is not about attacking individuals as you imply, but a frank open discussion of ISSUES.

There is much to learn from each other, if we listen and respect.
  #40  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Xavier's Avatar
Xavier Xavier is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You posted in the Political Forum this morning? Are you in there by yourself or have others joined you?
Can you tell us how to Opt in and "get it on".
I had never opted out of Political. From the Home page I just scrolled down to The Villages, Florida, Political Talk and click on it. If you're not opted in, you won't find it. It's located at the end of the first section of Forum Topics.

Look for an ad off to the side. I don't see ads anymore so I can't know for sure if it's there.

Xavier
__________________
My approach to today's politics: "Re-examine all you have been told. Dismiss what insults your soul" ~ Walt Whitman
  #41  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,393
Thanks: 4,187
Thanked 4,689 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Now, you have been in the old political forum and thus will not surprise you if I say, that "political" should mean current events and discussion of the issues that confront us daily.

Coming in with an attitude like this will hurt.....it is supposed to be an exchange of ideas on issues, and NEVER aimed at individuals

As far as your comment about the President, the President is the leader of our country. If you are not happy with the policy of the country, then I suppose any disatisfaction could be construed as aimed at the President. HOWEVER, unless anyone actually attacks him personally, that is what the office is all about.

As you recall from way back in Political when you were an active member, our previous President took a lot of heat also, and it goes with that territory.

I would hope that any forum is not about attacking individuals as you imply, but a frank open discussion of ISSUES.

There is much to learn from each other, if we listen and respect.
I hope that we can remember that. I respect you Bucco/Rags for being honest.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #42  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,961
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,103 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope that we can remember that. I respect you Bucco/Rags for being honest.
Me too, Rags.

You all have fun on the political forum! It's too frustrating for my old bones. There are always issues that will never be perfect (or fixed), and they make me sad for my children.

And I don't want to be sad for the rest of my life. But I'm glad they've brought it back.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #43  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Abby10 Abby10 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,438
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope that we can remember that. I respect you Bucco/Rags for being honest.
Agreed. I have learned so much from posters like you (Gracie), Rags, and several others because your posts are honest, from the heart, and often have links to verify your statements. It makes this forum more interesting and a place where one can learn and grow, and as another poster said an opportunity to get to know how others think. I also look forward to the resurgence of the political forum. By the time I had joined TOTV (after being a "lurker" for years), I think the first one had already been shut down. As much as I don't like the name calling and one-liner sarcasm that sometimes appears, it would not stop me from joining the forum for the above mentioned reasons. Sometimes you just have to overlook the bad that comes along with the good.
  #44  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,541
Thanks: 180
Thanked 1,956 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Me too, Rags.

You all have fun on the political forum! It's too frustrating for my old bones. There are always issues that will never be perfect (or fixed), and they make me sad for my children.

And I don't want to be sad for the rest of my life. But I'm glad they've brought it back.
You are spot on. I am an optimist, however I have shut down for days at a time with some of the "games" played.

I just hope that admin does what is says and just plain kicks off the forum those that abuse it. I mean forever. We will face folks on this forum who have been in this space before, thrown out, came back, tEhrown out, came back. I hope there is a way that if you do not follow the rules you are gone.

It is a wonderful opportunity. I harken back about 8 years ago when it began, and how neat it was to go there and hear others and their 'takes" on issues. Even if you disagreed with them or they with you, the views were presented backed with facts and not the hyper active words from the cable news channels, but actual research because you really want to know and understand.

Then we got overrun with the cliche folks who simply think they are glib, but the more they post, the more you know how little they know. In many cases if you turned off their television or adapted it to not receive certain networks, they cannot post because they have no idea how they feel about things.

This is the curse of our internet and cable news channels.

The fact that their are no names may help because so many of those who caused the downfall of the old political were those who "AIMED" at certain posters with no bow to facts or anything...you see a bit of that on this thread.

To those who are so negative about this, consider it a source where hopefully, many others are doing the reseach for you, offering another side of the story and NOT RESTRICTING you from investigating further. Ignore any posts that, for example and using it only because it is obvious, take issue with any current adminstration based on anything but a discussion of issue. If anyone starts to talk ABOUT PEOPLE instead of the issue involved, just skip on to the next post.

I applaud TOTV for this attempt and can see the thought that went into it by reading the proposed rules. Enforcement of those rules with no exceptions will perhaps allow decent conversation.

I have two kinds of memories of the old political forum. For the first few years, it was stimulating, educational and fun. The last few years, I admit it was repugnant. I can only speak for myself. I learned so much on the very original forum. Example, I am weak when it comes to the economic issues and I know that. Thus I read as much as a I can to help understand. There were folks on that forum who disagreed with me on a general political plank but just reading their posts and asking questions (YES at one time, you actually asked questions of other posters no matter their politics) I was able to learn things or at the least have resources to go to based on what they linked us to.

Someone who disagrees with my politics never frustrate me. Those who deceive and simply disagree to have fun with me and others DO frustrate me.

BUT then I recall.....children do tend to frustrate us, dont they ?
  #45  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Sandtrap328's Avatar
Sandtrap328 Sandtrap328 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Now, you have been in the old political forum and thus will not surprise you if I say, that "political" should mean current events and discussion of the issues that confront us daily.

Coming in with an attitude like this will hurt.....it is supposed to be an exchange of ideas on issues, and NEVER aimed at individuals

As far as your comment about the President, the President is the leader of our country. If you are not happy with the policy of the country, then I suppose any disatisfaction could be construed as aimed at the President. HOWEVER, unless anyone actually attacks him personally, that is what the office is all about.

As you recall from way back in Political when you were an active member, our previous President took a lot of heat also, and it goes with that territory.

I would hope that any forum is not about attacking individuals as you imply, but a frank open discussion of ISSUES.

There is much to learn from each other, if we listen and respect.

You are right that a forum is not about attacking individuals but should be a frank open discussion of issues. On just about any current event issue on the forum, it degrades quickly to personal attacks on one of the political parties or leaders. A "for example" would be a recent one in which the poster stated that the world needs a leader and not a community organizer. That comment, while being the opinion of the poster, did not lend any help to the issue and was a personal attack on the President, in my viewpoint.

I will wait to get on a Political forum until candidates are better defined and will be waiting to see and respectfully discuss constructive viewpoints with other posters.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.