traffic cop on bailey trail cited me driving a unregistered vehicle.

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
You will get a ticket for.... driving without a registration, driving with out a license plate, and driving without insurance, this will be a costly ticket, and maybe you might lose your driving privileges. the message here is DON'T drive over 20 MPH in a regular golf cart. There is so many golf cart exceeding the speed limits and I'm so glad they are finally cracking down.
Good points, mrdills.

The problem is not only driving a cart over 20MPH. It is driving a cart that is capable of speeds over 20 MPH.

If I am driving a cart in the diamond lane on Morse Blvd. at 25 MPH I am not exceeding the posted limit of 30 MPH. However, I am driving a cart that is capable of exceeding 20 MPH. Unless it is registered and insured as a LSV I am driving an unregistered motor vehicle. So, by driving 25 MPH I am sending a strong message that says "arrest me".

I am also glad they are finally cracking down. Long overdue.

BTW, please note I avoided the term "golf" cart. If it is capable of exceeding 20 MPH it is no longer defined as a golf cart. It is an unregistered vehicle.

I am also glad they are finally cracking down.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,321 Times in 548 Posts

Anybody hear of a Street Legal Golf Cart getting a ticket for speeding? I know some of them will do well over 25mph.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Exactly. This post is winding down but like I knew it would, it got responses from many "goody two shoes" that are alarmed to hear that someone was driving 2 mph over the speed limit. Horrible. What a danger to society. 2 mph is less than a slow walking speed. This is an active adult community. If you don't choose to participate or can't, don't complain if it moves faster than you.
Exactly, If they are passing a walker or bicycle they probably going faster than 20 mph. Same "goody two shoes" complain about saving chairs at the squares. Its fun getting old?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Hold on.....my popcorn's almost ready. I already heard your story in a prior post. This guy was driving down Rainey Trail, not a multi-modal. If you exceed 19.9 mph in an unlicensed vehicle you will get ticketed. Also, you're not allowed to pass another cart because you are then on a public street and can get ticketed for unlicensed vehicle.
And what did you hear in a prior post?Was it something you did not agree with?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

"Goody two shoes," another worn out expression for law-abiding citizens who just want others to do the same. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Doesn't anyone have any empathy for others? That's what's wrong with our "dog eat dog" society!! And.....I want mine now, and to he** with everyone else!!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,794 Times in 1,388 Posts

driving on Baily Trail???

Won't answer the how fast question!!!

I smell bait being tossed on the waters!!!!

Some of us support whole heartedly the effort by the police to ticket the violators. Even to do so with a special force that does only that and funded by it's efforts.

The ones that amuse me are the ones who always come back with the police should be doing something more important. Nice try!!

btk
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Gold member

sigh!! for all the 'goody two shoes' can we check YOUR speeds in the local neighborhoods and be assured you don't exceed 15mph in your car? a cop could sit on colony blvd all day giving cars tickets for exceeding 20mph on that road or how about 10mph within a villa area...I hardly ever see that limit obeyed and yet you would complain about 4 or 5 mph in a cart?? I thought even one amongst the omg crowd even once crowed about having their GEM modified to do 35..
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
You are entitled to your opinion .... but that is all that it is your opinion and you sure as heck do not get to decide when the story ends!

IMO .... ticketing at golf cart for going 22-23 mph and not 20 is a giant waste of time and resources. Especially considering that SCSO only has jurisdiction in the "diamond" lanes and not on the Multi Modal Paths. It is however a nice profit center.
I don't think it was his OPINION...I think going over 20 mph...it was THE LAW,
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
and that is your opinion to which you are entitled! me? i'm delighted that the sheriff's office has the resources to enforce motor vehicle laws in the villages and throughout the county! not a waste of time in my book if it increases awareness and prevents accidents! the villages has seen some doozies that might have been prevented with greater awareness and conformance with the law! and i don't want to be involved in even a minor one! hooray for enforcement!
I totally concur. If everything that was said is true, the OP deserves to be punished to the fullest extent, from having a cart that can exceed 20 to actually exceeding 20.

I sure wish they would begin to enforce reckless driving and driving under the influence on those carts. THEY ARE NOT TOYS....and there are laws to abide to...you cannot pick and choose which ones you like or disagree with.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Many many carts exceed the speed limit. If we didn't have rules and laws, I guess we'd have anarchy. Police uphold the laws as they should. That tired, worn out gripe about don't they have better things to do and higher crimes to stop, really bugs me.

I got my very first speeding ticket in my truck just 4 months ago after I've been driving nearly 50 years. I was in the wrong, I was speeding, paid the ticket and took the driving class. End of story!
You.ve been driving for 50 and had to take a driving class?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I don't think it was his OPINION...I think going over 20 mph...it was THE LAW,
My statement was in reference to the opinion of that posters opinion of the op's ticketing and that posters opinion of my opinion .... not what the speed limit is. Is that clear as mud? ;-)

I would bet the ranch that if you followed these upstanding law and order folks around in their golf carts for a day .... they would fail to come to a full and complete stop at a VERY high % of posted stop signs.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

I have a regular electric EZGO golf cart that goes 20.5 MPH on a flat level road and may touch 21.0 on a long downhill. I get passed by non-street legal carts more times than by Street Legal carts. These golf carts have not been designed to go 25-30 MPH. The brakes, suspension and other non-safety items like seat belts are not there, and only put everyone in grave danger if they have to make an evasive driving maneuver. These owners are risking injury of their spouses, themselves, children, grand-children, pets and put other cart drivers in danger racing around The Villages like retired NASCAR drivers. What's the point passing everyone in site?? Shorter wait times at the Bait Shacks during happy hour? This is a retirement community and we should be happy and thankful that all the years of hard work and sacrifices got us here to enjoy all that The Villages has to offer.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Sage

Goodie two shoes comments aside I think the bigger issue is that golf cart laws are archaic when it comes to golf cart communities like TV. These are not your average golf carts anymore. Many of us have seat belts, some have enclosures, some have beefed up brakes and suspensions etc. etc.

Does anyone really think 24 mph is too fast in the diamond lanes? I don't. I have one cart that is governed at 20mph and I get passed by 40% of drivers on Bailey Trail. I'm not mad at them and they do it safely. My other cart is capable of exceeding 20mph but I try to keep it around 22 or so but even that seems slow.

Let's remember this (and you can search this site for verification): We were once told for many years that it is better to NOT have seat belts in our golf carts. Lt. Wolfe of Sumter County would cite some outdated and not relevant video showing roll overs. Well times have changed and if you read the POA bulletin every month you'll see that seat belts DO help the vast majority of cart accidents. My point is that just because we have a law doesn't mean the law shouldn't be reviewed and amended based on new technology. I think it is time for that review. But in the meantime don't get caught speeding or driving an 'unregistered vehicle (that's a joke)'
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold member

Obviously there are two opinions on this (maybe more). Some think even though 20 is the limit 22 or 23 or 24 or whatever is okay. Others say if you are going over 19.9 get ready to wear a noose.

My opinion, if you are going over 20 and get stopped, take your medicine - same as you would if you were going 78 on Interstate 75.

And here is my sad story: A long time ago I was traveling on Highway 101 in California. I was following my (then) father-in-law heading north. He had a habit of not using his turn signals when changing lanes. He got pulled over. I was sure it was for not using signals and I stopped to wait for him. He and I both got tickets for going 62 in a 55 zone. I asked the highway patrolman a simple question: "Why am I getting a ticket, you didn't pull me over?" The response: "If every car pulled over I would give every one of them a ticket." Message - they can't get everyone, but when they get you - you are caught and are going to get a ticket.

Happy ending to the story - I had just returned from a tour in the military in places we'd rather forget. The speed limit had been reduced from 65 to 55 while I was overseas. The judge listened to my sob story and gave me a $10 fine. I think the father-in-law paid close to $100.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Even without knowing you personally, I am very glad you got caught going over the 20 mph limit for golf carts. You knew what the speed limit was and you chose to ignore it. You deserve the ticket and the monetary penalty that comes with it.
Wow!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.