Tree Cutting News

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
It is really surprising that the sheriff's department, which had shown itself to be very competent in solving other crimes has not been able to solve this one. It makes one wonder WHY?

In an earlier life, I worked on some fairly sophisticated criminal investigations and solving this crime looks like child's play. It seems obvious that one or more of four homeowners is the perpetrator. Since all four homeowners benefited by the tree cutting, it is likely that the initiator contacted the other three to request sharing of the costs. In addition, when one looks at the number of houses in close proximity to the scene of the crime and thinks of the noise and commotion involved in taking down the trees, the operation must have been the talk of the neighborhood. It was certainly observed by a number the neighbors who must know who is responsible for it.

In addition, the perpetrator had to contact and pay a tree-cutting service to do the actual work. That contacting and payment would have left a trail that could be uncovered.

Therefore, a serious investigator would take steps like the following:
1. Subpoena the phone, credit card, and bank records of the four logical suspects for the relevant period of time.
2. Interview/subpoena, and perhaps offer immunity to, any tree-cutting services called or paid, by any of the four.
3. Subpoena, before a grand jury, the neighbors in the immediate vicinity and find out what they really know about the matter. How many people are willing to risk a perjury conviction to cover for a neighbor?
4. Subpoena all four of the suspects, cutting a deal if necessary to nail the initiator of the project.

However, this kind of rigorous investigation would engender a lot of bad publicity, perhaps even nationwide bad publicity, for The Villages.
Thank you. I agree.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Thank you. I agree.
Are you serious? Some trees were cut down---nobody was shot!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You really need more than conjecture and supposition to get a judge to sign a subpoena. Let's face it. We have a lot of theories but not one iota of proof that would stand up in court. It could just as easily have been vandals or someone cut the wrong trees.

As to neighbors knowing who the culprits are, I wouldn't bet on it. I know that if I heard someone cutting trees on property owned by a government agency, my first thought would be to wonder why -- disease or maybe something going to be built in that spot. After that, I would grouse about the noise and never think a thing about it unless it was brought up by someone else. All the guilty party has to do is act as bewildered as the rest of the neighborhood.

Whether we like it or not, the odds of solving this crime are slim to none. It will only happen if someone confesses. A neighbor claiming they know who did it without some real proof is worthless. Subpoenaing the records of potentially innocent people is not going to happen. The laws of the United States protect us from things like that happening, as they should.

Feel free to rant, rave and speculate all you want but do try to understand that the Sheriff's hands are tied. There just isn't enough credible proof to charge anyone with anything at this time. Nor is there enough circumstantial evidence to issue subpoenas. Ditto a grand jury. There has to be more than speculation by law.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,777 Posts

Quote:
It is really surprising that the sheriff's department, which had shown itself to be very competent in solving other crimes has not been able to solve this one. It makes one wonder WHY?

In an earlier life, I worked on some fairly sophisticated criminal investigations and solving this crime looks like child's play. It seems obvious that one or more of four homeowners is the perpetrator. Since all four homeowners benefited by the tree cutting, it is likely that the initiator contacted the other three to request sharing of the costs. In addition, when one looks at the number of houses in close proximity to the scene of the crime and thinks of the noise and commotion involved in taking down the trees, the operation must have been the talk of the neighborhood. It was certainly observed by a number the neighbors who must know who is responsible for it.

In addition, the perpetrator had to contact and pay a tree-cutting service to do the actual work. That contacting and payment would have left a trail that could be uncovered.

1. Subpoena the phone, credit card, and bank records of the four logical suspects for the relevant period of time.
2. Interview/subpoena, and perhaps offer immunity to, any tree-cutting services called or paid, by any of the four.
3. Subpoena, before a grand jury, the neighbors in the immediate vicinity and find out what they really know about the matter. How many people are willing to risk a perjury conviction to cover for a neighbor?
4. Subpoena all four of the suspects, cutting a deal if necessary to nail the initiator of the project.

However, this kind of rigorous investigation would engender a lot of bad publicity, perhaps even nationwide bad publicity, for The Villages.
Thank you. This sums up the situation.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We don't know that!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 PM

As distressing as it is to acknowledge that the perpetrator has gotten away with this, the cost of seeking remedy, i.e., police investigation and court costs, would quickly reach the point of diminishing returns.

While it offends our sense of justice, the fact is that someone got away with a criminal act, and we are stuck with the tab...just like paying high prices at the grocery store because there are dirtbags out there shoplifting or looting.

If someone is dishonest enough to have done this and not come forward by now, the offer of amnesty is probably just so much chitchat in order to placate an outraged public.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I am serious or I would not have posted my comment. Is your criteria for a serious investigation that someone must be shot? I'd like to see this fully investigated and solved, or have a reasonable explanation as to why it can not be.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Default Tree cutting news

What if the perpetrators and the victim were in cahoots, then an anonymous payment and amnesty deal with law enforcement would make sense. Or am I watching too many crime shows.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You really need more than conjecture and supposition to get a judge to sign a subpoena. Let's face it. We have a lot of theories but not one iota of proof that would stand up in court. It could just as easily have been vandals or someone cut the wrong trees.

As to neighbors knowing who the culprits are, I wouldn't bet on it. I know that if I heard someone cutting trees on property owned by a government agency, my first thought would be to wonder why -- disease or maybe something going to be built in that spot. After that, I would grouse about the noise and never think a thing about it unless it was brought up by someone else. All the guilty party has to do is act as bewildered as the rest of the neighborhood.

Whether we like it or not, the odds of solving this crime are slim to none. It will only happen if someone confesses. A neighbor claiming they know who did it without some real proof is worthless. Subpoenaing the records of potentially innocent people is not going to happen. The laws of the United States protect us from things like that happening, as they should.

Feel free to rant, rave and speculate all you want but do try to understand that the Sheriff's hands are tied. There just isn't enough credible proof to charge anyone with anything at this time. Nor is there enough circumstantial evidence to issue subpoenas. Ditto a grand jury. There has to be more than speculation by law.
Redwitch, I think that you are absolutely right.
People have valid suspicions and theories, but that's not enough.
Unfortunately, without credible proof, it's all mere speculation.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 AM

Once again...money talks and BS walks
Take the money & run
The American way
Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

With a furrowed brow I wonder why a person(s) would walk onto this particular property without knowing to whom it belong and without permission strategically cut certain trees? Was it an act of vandalism? Did the actors cut these trees for personal or commercial use?

This question along with the myraid of questions posed by TOTV posters on this subject begs the second question of does "Occam's Razor" apply?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

"Good police work, gate cameras foil appliance thief" quoted from this morning's dot com newspaper. The story of picking up the person stealing appliances from Pine Ridge through the use of the gate cameras.

I presume this same police investigative work could be applied to the gate cameras at Lake Miona? More and more it appears that no one really wants to pursue this tree cutting fiasco.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Contrary to the misstatements about criminal-procedure and constitutional law set forth in responses to my above post, the kinds of investigative steps I outline in that post are both legal and common. This crime has not been solved because the Sheriff's Department has made a decision not to solve it. Why? I don' t know. There is a range of possible explanations.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Contrary to the misstatements about criminal-procedure and constitutional law set forth in responses to my above post, the kinds of investigative steps I outline in that post are both legal and common...
But applicable to this case? You've watched too many CSI's.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,416 Posts

We don't know that either..............

Tags
district, tree, supervisors, responsible, news, cutting, reimbursed, year, miona, lake, trees, submit, restitution, anonymously, replacing, cdd5, costs, parties, announced, friday, todays, villages, party, illegal, action

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.