Trolls!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 AM

Troll? Really? Did you consider that your VIOLATION was most likely reported by a neighbor who wants to live in a neighborhood with standards we all agreed with?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:47 AM

What upsets me (although not enough to loose sleep over) is the inconsistency of enforcement. Deed restrictions are fine ...... but their enforcement relies on neighbors snitching on others.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 AM
Default free speech

It seems to me that a display of a cross is a mode of speech. It may be interpreted as evangelizing and would therefore come under freedom of religion. I am not a lwywer but I do not think that you can sign away any of your freedoms, either of speech or religion. Perhaps it is the restriction that is illegal?
Old 07-24-2020, 06:05 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

This is terrible harassment & censorship.
We can always fly our flag (following flag protocol) and display the cross.
Over the past few years people are trying to get us to stop claiming it is “offensive” for them to see these symbols.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
So in other words some districts allow it and some do not?
Not so much allowed as unreported. Unreported violations do not equal being allowed.

Some districts do not have busy bodies running around with a clip board and magnifying glass looking for problems.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmark33 View Post
Approximately two weeks ago a community standards representative came by and told me I must remove the white cross from my front yard. It was apparently reported by a “troll“. I have taken the necessary steps to correct this deficiency. However, in going around our community in tall trees I find white crosses all over the place, along with other numerous violations of yard ornaments and and unkept yards. I don’t know if I was one person who they singled out for some reason or nobody else has taken care of any violations that had been reported. If the person who reported me for the cross would like to come by my house at 2166 Smoaks , I would be happy to introduce them to my style of religion.
Amen!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Wait till you see my yard at Christmas time. 50+ white crosses, all sizes, c'mon troll's check it out.
Think Easter.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 AM

you were singled out by by someone who has a grudge, or something similar.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:28 AM

One thing we in our neighborhood have found out: if a homeowner wishes to display a cross, it can be displayed inside the home, perhaps inside a window...no troll can dispute that. So sorry that your area does not allow displaying a symbol of your faith.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:30 AM

I would be interested in what people would say if others in our community started placing other religious symbols in their yards. Some examples: the star and crescent (muslim), a budda statue, the om (hiduism). I think you get the picture.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Woody View Post
There’s one thing I’d like TV to change in their reporting policy. Let the reporter remain anonymous, but when the inspector goes out to check the violation he or she must also go out and inspect the reporter’s home for violations as well.
Great idea
Old 07-24-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1921 View Post
I would be interested in what people would say if others in our community started placing other religious symbols in their yards. Some examples: the star and crescent (muslim), a budda statue, the om (hiduism). I think you get the picture.
I was wondering the same thing
Old 07-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Approximately two weeks ago a community standards representative came by and told me I must remove the white cross from my front yard. It was apparently reported by a “troll“. I have taken the necessary steps to correct this deficiency. However, in going around our community in tall trees I find white crosses all over the place, along with other numerous violations of yard ornaments and and unkept yards. I don’t know if I was one person who they singled out for some reason or nobody else has taken care of any violations that had been reported. If the person who reported me for the cross would like to come by my house at 2166 Smoaks , I would be happy to introduce them to my style of religion.
A person came to your house? I understood that people are sent a message and that they have options to move things close to the house under the eaves. Also as you know it has to be reported for a homeowner to get a message in the mail. Someone reported the white cross and community standard responded. That is how it works. It has nothing to do with "a style of religion" and has to do with rules on the deed. If anyone wants to report violations of the deed restrictions they can anonymously but you will not be notified unless they are indeed a restriction. Most of the people who live here like the restrictions that keep people from ornamenting their yard. I would also guess that people are not at all offended by the Christian symbol at all, just that someone put something in the yard when all ornaments are restricted unless permission is given by ARC. I am sorry you are hurt and angry. I feel it has nothing to do with the White Cross at all.

Most people support the deed restrictions and most people would not hurt anyone's feelings. I think anonymous reporting is cheaper and better. Many of us moved from other areas that had restrictions on ornamentations or yard art. I don't think there are many here who do not share your respect of the cross and if they aren't Christian they would not want to hurt your feelings either. I think you just got reported for having an unallowed lawn ornament.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-24-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like you are saying its okay for you to break the rules if others are doing it. I appreciate seeing Christian symbols, but not if it means breaking the rules that were agreed to when purchasing the house.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:10 AM
Default Trolls

Quote:
Unmask the trolls.....
Closed Thread

Tags
reported, cross, person, yard, violations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.