Trouble With the Curve

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Default Trouble With the Curve

There are lots of discussions currently about rights of way on the paths so I thought I would add this situation to the conversation.

My husband and I cycle the multi modal paths daily and occasionally it happens that a golf cart will pull out to pass us in a blind curve. We certainly understand your desire to pass us. Who wants to be stuck behind a bicycle going 13 mph, right? But every time it happens I get knots in my stomach knowing that if that cart encounters traffic coming his way as they round that curve they are going to have to quickly pull back into their own lane, which means right into us. We always ride single file and as close to the right as possible but it still might not allow enough room for us and the cart in the same lane especially if the cart driver is over reacting due to being startled by the oncoming traffic. Sure enough that very thing happened to my husband a couple of days ago. He had to slam on his brakes hard enough to almost topple him over. Fortunately he narrowly missed getting hit by the golf cart.

So, I am asking, respectfully, these are lives at stake out there on the path, and most of us are on the path for recreational purposes, not because of any life and death need to be somewhere quickly. In an encounter between a cart and a bike the bike is sure to lose, and possibly in the most tragic of ways. The amount of time it takes to get around a curve to the point where you have a clear line of sight of traffic in the oncoming lane isn’t going to be a life changer for anyone, but it could be for the person on the bike.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,366 Times in 745 Posts

The mistake that you are making is riding single file. On a pedestrian path you should ride abreast. In this way a cart must pull out into the opposing lane to safely pass. Now, you could, and perhaps should, only do this on blind curves. Once a cart driver is forced to place themselves in danger, and not you, the dynamics change dramatically for them.

Of course there is no changing the rudeness or perhaps entitlement of some cart drivers.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:01 PM

Last Saturday morning heading to Brownwood on my cart, I witnessed another cart 20 feet in front of me do that around a bicycle on Brownwood bridge. Couldn't believe the cart guy did that on a blind curve, solid line on a bridge. He got in front of the bike but narrowly missed carts coming the opposite way.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:29 PM

Single file is usually fine. Except on a blind curve, you should move toward the center of the path instead of staying on the right. Then when sight distance is good again you move back to the right.

Works for me.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:37 PM
Platinum member

it's every man, and woman, for themselves. There are no set rules - and if there are, nobody seems to follow them. Everyone pretty much does whatever is convenient for them
Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,773 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
it's every man, and woman, for themselves. There are no set rules - and if there are, nobody seems to follow them. Everyone pretty much does whatever is convenient for them
It might seem that way at times, but in truth I think that the reason the boors and the churls among us are worthy of mention is because of their relative rarity. If everyone did it, no one would give it a second thought.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Just like there are bad car drives, there are bad cart drivers as well. One needs to imagine if it would be a solid line or dashed line and drive accordingly. When I pass a bike I need to see a clear path that gives me time to pass safely. I pull completely into the other lane to give the biker plenty of space. The same thing for when we are traveling on a street and come up to a bike. Doesn’t hurt anyone is we are “stuck” behind a bike for an extra 100 yards or so. Be safe.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,112 Times in 4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldragbagger View Post
There are lots of discussions currently about rights of way on the paths so I thought I would add this situation to the conversation.

My husband and I cycle the multi modal paths daily and occasionally it happens that a golf cart will pull out to pass us in a blind curve. We certainly understand your desire to pass us. Who wants to be stuck behind a bicycle going 13 mph, right? But every time it happens I get knots in my stomach knowing that if that cart encounters traffic coming his way as they round that curve they are going to have to quickly pull back into their own lane, which means right into us. We always ride single file and as close to the right as possible but it still might not allow enough room for us and the cart in the same lane especially if the cart driver is over reacting due to being startled by the oncoming traffic. Sure enough that very thing happened to my husband a couple of days ago. He had to slam on his brakes hard enough to almost topple him over. Fortunately he narrowly missed getting hit by the golf cart.

So, I am asking, respectfully, these are lives at stake out there on the path, and most of us are on the path for recreational purposes, not because of any life and death need to be somewhere quickly. In an encounter between a cart and a bike the bike is sure to lose, and possibly in the most tragic of ways. The amount of time it takes to get around a curve to the point where you have a clear line of sight of traffic in the oncoming lane isn’t going to be a life changer for anyone, but it could be for the person on the bike.

Thanks for reading.
Momma always said "stupid is as stupid does"
Old 08-24-2022, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The mistake that you are making is riding single file. On a pedestrian path you should ride abreast. In this way a cart must pull out into the opposing lane to safely pass. Now, you could, and perhaps should, only do this on blind curves. Once a cart driver is forced to place themselves in danger, and not you, the dynamics change dramatically for them.

Of course there is no changing the rudeness or perhaps entitlement of some cart drivers.
I would respectfully disagree. I too ride a bike and get passed going into, as well as in, blind curves by golf cart drivers and I am not a slow rider. This usually happens on the multi modal paths on Buena Vista. There have been multiple times that I have had to hit my brakes each time I saw a potential head on collision as the idiot in a rush has every single time suddenly swerved to his right to avoid the head on but with no care about where I am. I have even been passed on my left, while signaling a left turn, just before the downhill to the tunnel under Buena Vista that takes you to the Miona Rec Center. I swerved right just in time to avoid being hit by the idiot and went into the grass.

Do I think behaviors of these idiots will change? Heck no, but I will always bike defensively.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,366 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I would respectfully disagree. I too ride a bike and get passed going into, as well as in, blind curves by golf cart drivers and I am not a slow rider. This usually happens on the multi modal paths on Buena Vista. There have been multiple times that I have had to hit my brakes each time I saw a potential head on collision as the idiot in a rush has every single time suddenly swerved to his right to avoid the head on but with no care about where I am. I have even been passed on my left, while signaling a left turn, just before the downhill to the tunnel under Buena Vista that takes you to the Miona Rec Center. I swerved right just in time to avoid being hit by the idiot and went into the grass.

Do I think behaviors of these idiots will change? Heck no, but I will always bike defensively.
We are essentially saying the same thing. Carts will frequently cut into your lane over getting back into their own. The difference between 'taking your lane' vice staying to the extreme right is less carts will encroach into ('share') your lane. The reason is less will try to pass or hesitate and see an oncoming cart. This minimizes the number of carts that try the dangerous passing on curves.

As evidence of the safety of this practice I submit this is exactly what cyclists riding in a group do. If you haven't ridden with a group you might be surprised how much communication and coordination is going on while this is happening.

I also ride a great deal (5,000 miles annually) and I find this works well. Cart drivers as a group are far less courteous than auto drivers.

Last edited by Toymeister; 08-24-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,700 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
My husband and I cycle the multi modal paths daily.
Wow, you are more brave than we are.

We live north of Route 44. We bought a bike carrier and take our bikes down to Citrus Grove or Bradford or St. Catherine, where there are miles of nice walking/biking paths where we never have to worry about golf carts.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:30 PM

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. We have been riding all our adult lives and have always ridden single file and to the right unless moving left for a left turn, but I think the idea of “taking the lane” in the curves is worth a try. I can see how it might make the cart driver think twice if they have to entirely leave their lane to pass.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Wow, you are more brave than we are.

We live north of Route 44. We bought a bike carrier and take our bikes down to Citrus Grove or Bradford or St. Catherine, where there are miles of nice walking/biking paths where we never have to worry about golf carts.
I live down south (Hawkins). It happens down here too. We ride the pedestrian/ bike paths too but it is not unusual for us to ride 25 miles in a day and you can’t really do that without using the multi-modals. People are people everywhere. Most people we meet on the paths (north and south) are safe, courteous, and friendly. But one person carelessly putting someone else’s life at risk is one too many and we have encountered a few.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,112 Times in 4,223 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. We have been riding all our adult lives and have always ridden single file and to the right unless moving left for a left turn, but I think the idea of “taking the lane” in the curves is worth a try. I can see how it might make the cart driver think twice if they have to entirely leave their lane to pass.
Might very well work. Now, any suggestions as to how we can get cyclists to think twice about all the crap they pull on the roads and MMP's?????
Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,700 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
But one person carelessly putting someone else’s life at risk is one too many and we have encountered a few.
That is an odd sentence.

You say that "one person carelessly putting someone else’s life at risk is one too many", and then you say that "we have encountered a few".

Well, if you have "encountered a few" of these careless people, then that means you should not be riding your bikes where you are now.

Maybe try going on some of the biking trails that have replaced the old unused railroad lines. I think you can ride uninterrupted for a long way on the trail south of us near the town of Mabel.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, curve, bike, lane, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.