Unpatriotic Americans

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
The band Hayfire played a great show at Brownwood last night. They had a little girl about 7 do the Pledge of Allegiance and then they sang the Proud to be an American song by Lee Greenwood. It was stunning to see the people who remained seated and didn’t even show respect. Where has American pride gone?
I don't recall there being a flag at the Brownwood stage. Did Hayfire have one at their performance?

If they brought one in just for this song, was it transported, presented, and placed correctly and did those attending react properly?

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of using the pledge as part of a performance To open a meeting, absolutely. To elicit a response by an audience at your performance, no.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I am a proud veteran, love my country, served in a war, member of the American Legion, and a volunteer for Honor Flight. I feel I am a true patriot. I will proudly stand for the pledge and the national anthem, but I do not make a special effort to stand for the Lee Greenwood song. I was eating dinner once in the bowling alley restaurant in Spanish Springs when karaoke was going on, and the DJ played the Lee Greenwood song and expected everyone to stand. I did not. I got some stink-eye looks from neighboring tables, but I won't be intimidated by anyone. There are any number of patriotic songs that can be played. Only the national anthem deserves special respect.
You would get no "stink eye" from me. I would be busy eating my dinner, too.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,315 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
My opinion, for what it is worth:

Standing for "Proud to be an American" and standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is two vastly different things, and there is no political "posture" associated with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Given we have many Canadian home owners in TV I have often wondered 1 - what they do 2 - how they feel when various groups at the rec centers start their activity with the pledge of allegiance to the flag of the USA.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Given we have many Canadian home owners in TV I have often wondered 1 - what they do 2 - how they feel when various groups at the rec centers start their activity with the pledge of allegiance to the flag of the USA.
Spent a lot of time in Canada. Canada is our neighbor, friend and ally. Out of courtesy we would stand respectfully during those times their anthem was played. That's what friends do, imho.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

I don’t know why people think this milk sop song should require standing for , I guess it’s one of those only in the village moments and no I never stand for it , I’m afraid to ,I might get sick on the person in front of me and I have to wonder why the pledge is being used for a bands performance , sort of like the used car dealer with the 30 flags outside proclaiming he’s proud to be an American , I’ve always stood for the national anthem and that’s it and I would only stand for the pledge in a proper setting and not for the PR stunt by some band , and I shouldn’t have to defend my post but I’ll say this I’m a Vietnam combat multi Purple Heart , multi tour paratrooper who went back with another government agency doing the same thing in Laos , and Cambodia
Old 04-13-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I don’t know why people think this milk sop song should require standing for , I guess it’s one of those only in the village moments and no I never stand for it , I’m afraid to ,I might get sick on the person in front of me and I have to wonder why the pledge is being used for a bands performance , sort of like the used car dealer with the 30 flags outside proclaiming he’s proud to be an American , I’ve always stood for the national anthem and that’s it and I would only stand for the pledge in a proper setting and not for the PR stunt by some band , and I shouldn’t have to defend my post but I’ll say this I’m a Vietnam combat multi Purple Heart , multi tour paratrooper who went back with another government agency doing the same thing in Laos , and Cambodia
"You da Man!" But you already knew that.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
"proud to be an american" is not a nationally recognized official song for this country and it's an insult to America when people DO stand for it. It puts it as equal to the National Anthem, which IS an officially recognized song of this country.

Just like you don't stand and salute the flag of Iowa when someone drives down the road with that flag poking up from their golf cart, or when someone sings Kumbaya.

I will not stand for that song until/unless the Nation selects it to replace the National Anthem.

As for the pledge of allegiance, it seems to be political posturing to recite it before a musical entertainment show and degrades the significance of it.

I wouldn't stand then, either.
bowdown::bowdown 1000% agree. Not one person knows what is in a person's heart and mind. You can not say whether a person is patriotic due to your definition, just like you can not say whether someone is religious with your definition.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Spent a lot of time in Canada. Canada is our neighbor, friend and ally. Out of courtesy we would stand respectfully during those times their anthem was played. That's what friends do, imho.
My question was specific to the pledge of allegiance. Given you spent a lot of time in Canada how did you handle standing to give an "oath" to a foreign country's flag ? Standing for an anthem is not the same as taking an oath.

How did you handle it ?

Simply stand
Stand and remove your cap
Stand with hand over heart
Stand with hand over heart and pretend to mouth the words

How often did this happen to you ? At what kind of events ? Here in TV this realistically could be a daily event to a Canadian home owner participating in rec activities.

Spoiler alert - Canadians do not have a pledge of allegiance to their flag.

Did you know our pledge of allegiance was invented as a marketing ploy to sell magazines ?

Last edited by rustyp; 04-13-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,523 Times in 2,577 Posts

I stand for my own UK national anthem (a dire dirge) and any other nations.
I would respect The Pledge of Allegiance if the done thing was to stand.
Apart from that I stand for nothing, and I cannot stand overt patriotism.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I don’t see the point in saying the pledge before a clay modeling class at a rec center………………..
This is really being done?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:45 AM

Thank you !! I was talking about the pledge of allegiance
Old 04-13-2023, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I don’t see the point in saying the pledge before a clay modeling class at a rec center………………..
This is really being done?
Yes many many times - Example quilt guilds and nurse's club.
Sage
Thanked 14,299 Times in 5,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I disagree with your disagreement...
I agree with your disagreement!
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Saw Lee Greenwood perform God Bless the U.S.A. a long time ago. I really enjoyed the experience as it was the first time and it moved me. Now it appears to be a way for a performer to engage an audience that has been less than enthusiastic. Also, the Pledge of Allegiance is not meant to be an attention getter. I have stood for O Canada at the Blackhawks game when they play it for visiting Canadian teams.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,370 Times in 4,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
Thank you !! I was talking about the pledge of allegiance
Most of us knew that...

Edit to add: After re-reading the thread, I'm even more surprised how many couldn't noodle that thru...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
american, show, song, lee, greenwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.