Unwanted mail

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 PM
missypie missypie is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,140
Thanks: 1
Thanked 40 Times in 7 Posts
Default Unwanted mail

We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
  #2  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,600
Thanks: 9
Thanked 835 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #3  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,687
Thanks: 1,465
Thanked 1,522 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Jehovah Witnesses don't "prey" on elderly folks. They're not trying to get anyone to give them money, property, food, clothing, homes, cars, or anything else. Even if you end up joining their religion, you're not required to take a vow of poverty and give up all your worldly goods or any other such thing.

It can annoy you - you have the right to be annoyed. But if they put a stamp on it and sent it first-class, they have the right to send it to you.

Just stick it in the trash and don't worry yourself another moment about it. They won't take it personally if you say no.
  #4  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM
davem4616 davem4616 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 621
Thanks: 82
Thanked 720 Times in 295 Posts
Default

if you consider something junk mail...treat it that way and don't make a darn issue out of it

non of us can control the junk mail that comes our way...everyone is selling their contact lists to others for $$$$

I donate a lot to The Salvation Army...they send me emails from 3 different Salvation Army locations twice a month asking for help

I don't get twisted around my underwear about it...I just throw those mailers out and contribute when I want to (because I truly believe in that charity)
  #5  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,195
Thanks: 1,848
Thanked 738 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Must not be roofers!
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #6  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Stuart Zaikov Stuart Zaikov is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 519
Thanks: 80
Thanked 660 Times in 226 Posts
Default

That is why one has a circular file

We moved here a few months ago from Virginia and our junk mail didnt get forwarded, thankfully but now we have a whole new set to toss.
  #7  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,195
Thanks: 1,848
Thanked 738 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key
And who told them that size matters? Mine is bigger than yours - Some of those flyers are HUGH!
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #8  
Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,239
Thanks: 2
Thanked 638 Times in 256 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.
  #9  
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Stuart Zaikov Stuart Zaikov is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 519
Thanks: 80
Thanked 660 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.
Good point
  #10  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 PM
timinthevillages timinthevillages is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 6
Thanked 63 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Just a reminder. At my mail box unit there is a sign asking to take your junk mail home and to please not deposit it in the community trash cans.
  #11  
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 241
Thanked 863 Times in 409 Posts
Default

I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.
  #12  
Old 05-23-2020, 04:48 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 6,208
Thanks: 160
Thanked 1,946 Times in 607 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Too bad they didn't send it when the TP shortage was at its worst
  #13  
Old 05-23-2020, 04:48 AM
Girlcopper Girlcopper is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 40
Thanks: 2
Thanked 111 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Its called “junk” mail. Throw it away and go on with your life. Geeez
  #14  
Old 05-23-2020, 04:58 AM
Heyitsrick Heyitsrick is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.
  #15  
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 AM
maggie1 maggie1 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 42
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.
Good point! In addition to that, there are some pretty lonely people in this community who appreciate getting somethi ng in the mail, even if it ends up in the circular container.
Reply

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.