Used cars

Old 05-05-2024, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That just means that we OUTSOURCE tons of POLLUTION to China. Somehow I tend to like that.
Still goes up in air.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,511 Posts

Quote:
Now, THAT is a REAL car. Safe, with massive external bumpers. (why do US automobile stylists believe that you HAVE to integrate the bumper into the front and rear sheet metal) To my eye that car of yours is BEAUTIFUL. I doubt that those bumpers have any effect on gas mileage and wind resistance at the normal speed limits that are in most of the US. Also, that is a beautiful color - kudos!
........Obviously, modern cars have better suspensions, lower centers of gravity, and more efficient engines. But they all look the same, like ticky - tacky. If you want a unique vehicle today, you need to buy a truck with a real front bumper. Personally, I would want a hybrid. That's probably why trucks are more pevalent today than in the 60s and 70s.
Not really, 59 Nash was getting over 30 miles to gallon.

Trucks now are overpriced cars with beds.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,272 Times in 5,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Still goes up in air.
Pollution is pollution no matter where it originates
Old 05-06-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Theoretically, electric vehicles have all the advantages over gasoline or diesel.
I'm sorry, but this is simply a person repeating propaganda. While electric cars have great acceleration, the rest of the claims are arguable at best and some are clearly false.

EVs are heavier and thus don't handle or brake as well (apples to apples for equivalently priced models). They are more expensive. They require truckloads of taxpayer money for subsidies. Their depreciation is higher. They are bad for the environment as their batteries require strip mining and slave / child labor in Africa as well as shipping around the world. The batteries are not recycled. The electricity is made in many cases by burning coal. They drive up the cost of electricity.

I would support EV sales if they were honest about the true costs. Stop giving my tax money to EV manufacturers and wealthy buyers. Allow companies to build nuke plants if you want more electricity. Nukes plants are safe as all the pollution is small and contained.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is simply a person repeating propaganda. While electric cars have great acceleration, the rest of the claims are arguable at best and some are clearly false.

EVs are heavier and thus don't handle or brake as well (apples to apples for equivalently priced models). They are more expensive. They require truckloads of taxpayer money for subsidies. Their depreciation is higher. They are bad for the environment as their batteries require strip mining and slave / child labor in Africa as well as shipping around the world. The batteries are not recycled. The electricity is made in many cases by burning coal. They drive up the cost of electricity.

I would support EV sales if they were honest about the true costs. Stop giving my tax money to EV manufacturers and wealthy buyers. Allow companies to build nuke plants if you want more electricity. Nukes plants are safe as all the pollution is small and contained.
I can't speak to the validity of the claim but Elon Musk has claimed that if the U.S. built a 10,000-square mile solar farm in the southwest desert, it could power the entire country. This would also require a 1 square mile battery to run us through the night. Seems a bit far fetched to me but wouldn't it be nice if we could work this out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	104008  
Old 05-06-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
I have Lexus 2002 in excellent condition. It does have a lot of highway miles (218,000). That being said, it has a six disc cd and cassette player, new Michelin tires. It’s deep white pearl with gold medallion series. Asking $5995.
i've heard those engines can last a long time
Old 05-06-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I can't speak to the validity of the claim but Elon Musk has claimed that if the U.S. built a 10,000-square mile solar farm in the southwest desert, it could power the entire country.
Engineers float ideas of what they think is possible without discussing the costs. It might be possible, but those panels need mining, chemicals, manufacturing, transportation, installation, maintenance, and eventual disposal. Is he funding it? What are the real environmental costs at the end of the day?
Old 05-06-2024, 11:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,228 Times in 931 Posts

A $2,000 safe and reliable car is a pipe dream, they are called clunkers. Sure, you might find a widow that wants to sell her late spouse's vehicle cheap because she has no idea what it is worth, but those are called unicorns. I've owned over 50 cars in my life and a car with a cheap sales price has problems that will only be solved with lots of dollars in repairs. I can't count the times I've seen cheap broken down cars on the road with temporary tags on it.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,493 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i've heard those engines can last a long time
Toyota's with bling!
Old 05-06-2024, 12:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,183 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
I have Lexus 2002 in excellent condition. It does have a lot of highway miles (218,000). That being said, it has a six disc cd and cassette player, new Michelin tires. It’s deep white pearl with gold medallion series. Asking $5995.
Probably not a terrible deal.

& think how cheap your entertainment would be? You could buy CD's & Cassettes at yard sales, for a few cents.

Too bad it didn't have an 8 Track.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,272 Times in 5,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Toyota's with bling!
Take good care of a Toyota, change oil regularly and they will last and last.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
One final consideration, with all of the flooding recently there will probably be a bunch of "totaled" cars with washed titles for very low cost, be careful.
If it is a Florida registered car it will have a "total loss' title. Florida has good protection from cars like this. Texas might be a lot different`

Tags
cars, days, $2000, great, privately

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.