Villa heating systems: gas or electric?

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Default Villa heating systems: gas or electric?

Greetings future neighbors! Before I begin with all of the questions, I'd like to take just a moment to say "thanks" for all of the information that you have been so kind to share. My first visit to this sight was Tuesday, 11/06/07, spent 6 hours reading! Great stuff!
Have already decided on a villa..very much like the new price structure. Realtor is holding a patio villa in Duval.
My concern is that the unit mechanicals are entirely electric. Only once have I lived in an all electric home, and I did not really care for it. Heat and stove were slow, as I am accustomed to gas fired appliances. This home however, was in the frozen northland, so I understand that my concerns may not be quite as viable regarding a new FL home.
Is there anyone out there that could share their feelings on gas vs. electhic? Costs? Convenience?
Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Villa heating systems: gas or electric?

I am a gas baby -- always have been. Even paid to have gas stoves installed in homes I was renting and, obviously, my first expenditure in an owned home was the best gas stove I could afford. All so I wouldn't have to suffer. Now, I am in a patio villa where gas isn't even an option. It took a little bit of getting used to, but I can now cook on an electric stove. There is a slight difference in heating time, but not enough to really make a difference. For me, the bigger problem is the cooling off period when I need to go from boiling to simmer on the same plate. I've found I just have to time it carefully to turn down the heat and all is well.

Since I've not been here for a winter, I have no idea how well electric heat works but I'm going to assume it is okay since I haven't heard of anyone freezing in TV. ;D It worked okay for cooling off the house when it was hot.

Now, given the price of oil barrels right now, we might just be greatful that we have electric homes. I know that cheap gas became anything but that in California a few years ago (my gas and electric bill went from $80 to $380 in less than six months). So, we may just be counting our lucky stars. Guess we will have to wait and see.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Founder

I like gas as well. However, did you know that electricity is the most efficient form of engergy available. When you heat or cook with electricity 100% of the energy is used. There are no bi-products. No ashes, no smoke, no flue emmissions. It is also considered to be the safest. No fumes, no carbon monoxide, no lethal gas.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM

I guess it's too late now since you've already commited to purchase a "new" home that's all electric, but there are many Re-sale/previously owned patio villas in The Villages on the market with GAS heat, water heaters, clothes dryers, and ranges. These re-sales are available through The Villages, local realtors and For Sale by Owners. I have the above listed items using gas and my gas bill averages about $28 per month and I live here year-round.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM

Redwitch, T.H., v8h,
Thanks for the feedback. Did not feel comfortable with the idea of buying a home sight unseen, so I had the sales rep "release" the unit that had been reserved for me.
My plan was to come to TV on 11/12/07, view my new and pre-owned options, and then make my decision. Thats my plan , and I'm sticking with it!
Gas vs electric is one issue, but the more that I consideded this, it dawned on me that location, aspect to the sun, interior appointments, etc., were also considerations that needed to prudently pondered.
I've visited TV only once, that was all it took. As anxious as I may be to get moving on this new chapter of life, once that I arrive, the plan is to be there for a very long time. might as well take my time and get it right the first time.
Question..any idea of the number of units (new) available? Where could I find out? How does TV decide how many units to "release" for marketing? Two weeks ago I stayed in the Village of Carolina, and I had the opportunity to watch the contractors working on at least 20 units in just the 3 days that I was there. The pace was astounding!
Again thanks.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you made the right choice to wait til you get back.

Talkhost, electric may be efficient in the home (although not the most economical) but I suspect the electric company has some pretty big smoke stacks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.