Villa Pros & Cons?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
We have rented three times in TV -- once in a cottage home and twice in a CYV near Lake Sumter Landing. I must say I didn't notice the neighbors when we were on the lanai at the cottage home.

The CYV was a different story. When you were on the lanai you could hear neighbors all the time and barking dogs. I don't mind barking but I don't like it when the barking doesn't stop!! But what I really didn't like in the villa was the garage. It was really awkward getting either my van or the golf cart out of the garage without moving the other vehicle. The curved drive didn't help. The wall didn't bother me as I felt if I owned a villa I would plantings in that would hide most of the brick wall.

But there were a few reasons why I decided against a CYV when I chose the model that I had built. Most of the CYV had a much smaller lanai than what I wanted. I also wanted the washer and dryer inside my house and at least a two car garage (Mom wanted a 2 car plus a golf cart). But, the main reason is my two cats. I wanted a place for their litter box that wasn't in a bathroom!

I eventually chose an Iris. There are neighbors behind me but there is a very large offset. I also have a HUGE lanai which I extended 4 feet. Unfortunately, Mom doesn't want to go to TV full time so I am renting out my home now.

So yes Jimbo, I bought a house with my cats in mind!! But, that little niche is great storage too! Eventually I will put cupboards in the niche and have saved some ideas for the niche off this website!
I LOVE the Iris...great choice.

For us, however, it was more money than we wanted to spend at this stage in life, and down-sizing was/is our main goal. When I win the lotto, I'll get a couple of each type of home here!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,561 Times in 1,932 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[quote=ilovetv;512683]You must have looked long and hard to find a CYV back yard that is abandoned and looking like that.

How cynical to post the ugliest looking yard picture possible, when there are so many readers here who have never even been here, ever!!"unquote

That is so true. This is OUR town, not your town or my town. Everyone loves their home and believes that they have made the best choice for them. Jimbo,you were considering a villa for awhile, just think if someone had posted that if you chose a villa.

Every house here is beautiful and well made and the bottom line is, that we don't spend much time in them because of all of the activities available.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-27-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I would never want you to have to learn the hard way, but when living in Florida they're different considerations. This is not an unusual sight. We live just off Southern Star executive course and gators are always around the neighborhood going from pond to pond. If you're on a golf course lot, that is not good for tying a dog outside by itself, even for just a few minutes.

50% of our decision to buy a CYV was because of owning a dog, the other was the privacy, the costs and ease of maintenance.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Another reason why we picked a golf view where there is no water anywhere nearby. I've seen gators as far north as the pond next to the Churchill ninth hole. We live on Nancy Lopez. Not only haven't I ever seen a gator on that course, but can't recall ever seeing one anywhere North of Terra del Sol.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Those pics got me to thinking. I have owned a home in Florida for 31 years but farther south. I am directly across from the inter coastal waterway, but have never seen an alligator on any of our properties! I would likely never have thought one might sneak into my yard in TV, but I chose to build the home I want on the lot I want and would not change that part of the equation. I will definitely be more cognizant of my immediate surroundings however!
To the original poster: you will likely find exactly what you want in TV whether it is a villa, CYV, designer, cottage, ranch or premier. The point is to do what makes you the happiest within whatever budget you may have. So far, other than buying my lot, I have only been a visitor. But what I do see is a great source of pride and friendship amongst almost all of "The Villagers" no matter where or what type of home they may have. The hardest part is waiting to get there! The forum has been a great source of information to me and I hope you will find that as well!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita09 View Post
Hello all. I am moving to the villages as soon as my home in Texas sells. I have always lived in a single family home. That is what I think I'd prefer in TV. However, I am interested to know of some of the pros and cons of living in a Villa. Seems like a courtyard villa might be a nice option for privacy, etc. Your thoughts please. Thank you. Garnet
dolcevita09 -- Love your screen name. Welcome to TOTV. From a wannabee's perspective, could you rent a courtyard villa for a couple of weeks or a month to see how you like it? Just a suggestion. Hope you find the home of your dreams in TV.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Default Villa pros and cons

Let me begin this my saying - I live in a CYV on a golf course...away from the cart path. We have two golf carts (gas)and a car in our garage. Our neighbors have dogs. After reading the numerous posts on TOTV it seems that in addition to religion and politics - people have different views on gas vs. electric carts, villas and barking dogs, kissing lanai vs. villa privacy, eastern exposure vs. western, etc. The greatest thing about The Villages -there is something for everybody. If we could change anything it would be nice to have a larger garage. However, if we were purchasing now The Villages is building many of the larger courtyard villas with two car garages. For most people, everything is a trade off and you do the best with what you have.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I would never want you to have to learn the hard way, but when living in Florida they're different considerations. This is not an unusual sight. We live just off Southern Star executive course and gators are always around the neighborhood going from pond to pond. If you're on a golf course lot, that is not good for tying a dog outside by itself, even for just a few minutes.

50% of our decision to buy a CYV was because of owning a dog, the other was the privacy, the costs and ease of maintenance.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
wow thats some picture of the gator roaming around. I dont think I would have a doggie door with those monsters around, lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM

we looked at them too cause we had two dogs.. what turned us off the most other than the small garage and driveway was in all cyvillas two windows allow you to see the front of the house/street. one is in the garage and the other is in the guest bedroom.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,368 Posts

do you want a two car garage? there is not much out there with CYV
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Many of the Haciendas in Mission Hills have 2 car garages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.