So many faded, peeling & ugly street signs.

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs down So many faded, peeling & ugly street signs.

So what's up with that?

It has become very obvious, that an awful lot of street signs will/should be replaced soon.

Given that many of these aren't that old, I'm curious as to the story behind it.

I don't know if the developer was responsible for sourcing these signs, or since they are actually public roads the county did them, they are certainly failing pretty miserably.

The peeling and fading of the letters and numbers, with a lot of them falling off or hanging, has become quite embarrassing in my mind.

For the last couple of years I've seen them deteriorate at an accelerated rate and while every so often I might see similar problems in other parts of the state, nothing on this scale has ever caught my eye.

In other words, the excuse of "we live in Florida and the sun shortens their lives" doesn't really explain it.

My guess is that whomever was responsible for them, simply went after the cheapest price and we are now seeing the result of that decision.

The old "you usually get what you pay for" is what runs through my mind.

The next time you're driving around, start noticing how many of them that are a lot less than 10 years old are really in poor shape.

Comments?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Sage

You need to be specific regarding the locations of these signs. After all, TV stretches into 3 counties. Each jurisdiction has its own budget and priorities.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore2 View Post
So what's up with that?

It has become very obvious, that an awful lot of street signs will/should be replaced soon.

Given that many of these aren't that old, I'm curious as to the story behind it.

I don't know if the developer was responsible for sourcing these signs, or since they are actually public roads the county did them, they are certainly failing pretty miserably.

The peeling and fading of the letters and numbers, with a lot of them falling off or hanging, has become quite embarrassing in my mind.

For the last couple of years I've seen them deteriorate at an accelerated rate and while every so often I might see similar problems in other parts of the state, nothing on this scale has ever caught my eye.

In other words, the excuse of "we live in Florida and the sun shortens their lives" doesn't really explain it.

My guess is that whomever was responsible for them, simply went after the cheapest price and we are now seeing the result of that decision.

The old "you usually get what you pay for" is what runs through my mind.

The next time you're driving around, start noticing how many of them that are a lot less than 10 years old are really in poor shape.

Comments?
Where
Thanks
Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Platinum member

Another D
Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You need to be specific regarding the locations of these signs. After all, TV stretches into 3 counties. Each jurisdiction has its own budget and priorities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Where
Thanks
Don
Almost anywhere that is north of 466A and south of 466, a person that is paying even a modicum of attention will notice a large number of ratty signs.

North of 466 is older and yet a rough approximation tells me that the signs are wearing better, but there are still more poor ones than would be expected.

Here's an idea, let's let this thread run a few days and those reading it start paying attention to every single street sign they see and then come back and state that they don't see a higher % of signs that are looking pretty poor than there should be given their age?

Or are y'all expecting me to drive around and take a plethora of photo's proving my point, that some would still argue with?

As I said in my original post, I don't know who is responsible for the signs, but I will bet right now that if it is the developer the usual suspects will quickly jump in and say there's hardly any that are failing.

Wanna bet?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Another D
Please explain.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
....Or are y'all expecting me to drive around and take a plethora of photo's....
Yes!!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Yes!!
Fugetaboutit.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 PM
KittyKat

I have noticed them in my neighborhood/Village of Amelia, which was built in 2007. They are metal and you can hardly see the names on some of them. Also, on both ends of my street they planted trees right next to the street signs, which are on only one side of the street.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

everyone should adopt a sign and take care of it.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Almost anywhere that is north of 466A and south of 466, a person that is paying even a modicum of attention will notice a large number of ratty signs.

North of 466 is older and yet a rough approximation tells me that the signs are wearing better, but there are still more poor ones than would be expected.

Here's an idea, let's let this thread run a few days and those reading it start paying attention to every single street sign they see and then come back and state that they don't see a higher % of signs that are looking pretty poor than there should be given their age?

Or are y'all expecting me to drive around and take a plethora of photo's proving my point, that some would still argue with?

As I said in my original post, I don't know who is responsible for the signs, but I will bet right now that if it is the developer the usual suspects will quickly jump in and say there's hardly any that are failing.

Wanna bet?
I suggest you contact the following. Sam has publically stated that if you see something that needs attention let them know. (they cannot be everywhere). Give them a call.
-----------------------------
The District Property Management Department is responsible for upholding the aesthetic, physical and environmental assets of the District by maintaining the Districts physical assets and infrastructure.

Sam Wartinbee, Director
sam.wartinbee@districtgov.org

Main Office
1071 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-753-4022
Fax: 352-753-4296

Business Hours:
8am to 5pm, EST
Monday Friday
Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,336 Posts

it easy easier when you make a blanket statement saying so many signs are fading if you could just list a couple so we can get an idea of what you're talking about.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
it easy easier when you make a blanket statement saying so many signs are fading if you could just list a couple so we can get an idea of what you're talking about.
I respect your comment (and you), but the list is so long (in my mind) I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In spite of NYGuy's request of taking photos, I might just do it anyway and post some in the next few days.

In the meantime, I encourage everyone reading this thread to really start looking at street signs and then post on their observations.

Thnx.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I suggest you contact the following. Sam has publically stated that if you see something that needs attention let them know. (they cannot be everywhere). Give them a call.
-----------------------------
The District Property Management Department is responsible for upholding the aesthetic, physical and environmental assets of the District by maintaining the Districts physical assets and infrastructure.

Sam Wartinbee, Director
sam.wartinbee@districtgov.org

Main Office
1071 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-753-4022
Fax: 352-753-4296

Business Hours:
8am to 5pm, EST
Monday Friday
WHAT! Community watch drives by my house at least 3 times per day. How about giving a clipboard to these guys and tell them to look at these things and write them down?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm too busy taking pictures of speeding golf carts.
Closed Thread

Tags
signs, lot, responsible, years, mind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.