Violation Tickets

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow, this is right up there with roundabouts and dog poop.

... Which is pretty funny because, as Memason said, it probably never really happened.
  #152  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Yes it did. Yes it did. Yes it did.
  #153  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Today I spoke with an official with the Lady Lake Police Department. No citation was given out for this issue as described by nanci. He did stress that it is illegal to have an open container while in a vehicle, yes golf carts are vehicles. As to the public consumption while in the area of the squares, a permit is issued for this activity. let's put this thread to bed as another Village hoax. It also shows how we Villagers jump to conclusions!!!!
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #154  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
PennBF PennBF is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,817
Thanks: 0
Thanked 358 Times in 93 Posts
Thumbs down I Meant it

I think most people understand that if they had viewed a terrible accident because of the drug alcohol they would have a much greater appreciation
as to how much danger it creates when anyone drives any vehicle under the influence. Just observe the "2 for 1" line in the squares and realize a number of these will be driving golf carts home.
There is no threat when anyone wants to drink and not get behing the wheel of a car, golf cart, boat, etc.etc. Unfortunately there are too many who drink and then drive. It is a "Shame"...
  #155  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

bump
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #156  
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM
GeorgeT GeorgeT is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 495
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
bump
In your last post you suggested the we put this thread to bed and then you bump it? What gives?
  #157  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
skyguy79's Avatar
skyguy79 skyguy79 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Posts: 5,576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The Villages Florida

Could it be that Golf got busy putting stickers on his/her golf balls after the first post then forgot about the first post by the time he/she finished?
__________________
ARE VILLAGERS OLD OR ARE THEY RECYCLED TEENAGERS
At my age rolling out of bed in the morning is easy.
Getting up off the floor is another story.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
  #158  
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
cabo35's Avatar
cabo35 cabo35 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 995
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_foye View Post
If you do violate "the spirit of the law" as defined by us Villagers, then you obvioulsy have no common sense and are just a badge heavy tool who has nothing better to do than hassle us fine folk who pay your salary.
Many sunrises and sunsets ago, as a young police officer, I remember the frequent protest of those who were cited for an assortment of infractions. It usually, as indicated above, involved a reference to who pays your salary. An old timer told me that when I was confronted with that line...to reach into my pocket for loose change not to exceed 50 cents and hand it to the violator. Follow-up with a brief, polite explanation that you are refunding what the offender contributed toward your salary. Today in The Villages, there are 80,000 residents. Average police salary maybe 30-40K....you do the math. When I hear in any context about "badge heavy tools" and the "folks who pay your salary", it brings back memories and a smile. Thank you.

A follow-up line by the miscreant might be, "Give me your name and badge number...I'm calling your chief." I would graciously comply and request that they also let the chief know what a good job I'm doing. Funny thing.......I was never called into the chief's office for a dress down. Years later, when I was the police chief, my "street" experience with handling complaints against police officers was a real asset in how I resolved them.

Another frequent disgruntled motorist retort was "Do you know who I am. I'll have your job." This usually came from some "connected" politician or political hack. My response was usually a polite smile and an explanation of how the violator could have my job. I would first explain that he would have to take a competitive exam with a thousand other candidates. Then he would have to pass a grueling physical. If he remained successful he would be required to complete six months of classroom and physical training usually run by those who served as USMC DI's. He would also have to complete the course on dealing with irate citizens. If he passed all that and was appointed, he might be lucky enough to get me as his FTO (Field Training Officer) for 3-6 months. Subject to my signing off on his performance and comprehension of the law and his job......he could have my job. Not once was I ever called on the carpet for being a smart ass cop. I probably would have plead guilty.

Tip for Villagers. Seriously, the hardest summons to write is to the driver that looks you in the eye and says "I know I was wrong", whatever you write me for, I know you're just doing your job and it's not personal." In most cases, not all, a warning would suffice.

Discretion on the issuance of summonses is built into the law. It would be impossible to enforce every law on the books equally without the discretion component. Accordingly, law enforcement generally administers "selective enforcement" to address emergent problems and circumstances. With limited resources, police administrators deploy their assets by prioritizing public safety needs. The needs are dynamic and in constant flux. Accordingly priorities are not constant and may change from month to month or even day to day. I do not know if this is relevant to the thread topic but, professionally...it's plausible.

Have a good day in the Villages.
  #159  
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
In your last post you suggested the we put this thread to bed and then you bump it? What gives?
It was Golf-Tinker that suggested closing the thread.
  #160  
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
downeaster downeaster is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Many sunrises and sunsets ago, as a young police officer, I remember the frequent protest of those who were cited for an assortment of infractions. It usually, as indicated above, involved a reference to who pays your salary. An old timer told me that when I was confronted with that line...to reach into my pocket for loose change not to exceed 50 cents and hand it to the violator. Follow-up with a brief, polite explanation that you are refunding what the offender contributed toward your salary. Today in The Villages, there are 80,000 residents. Average police salary maybe 30-40K....you do the math. When I hear in any context about "badge heavy tools" and the "folks who pay your salary", it brings back memories and a smile. Thank you.

A follow-up line by the miscreant might be, "Give me your name and badge number...I'm calling your chief." I would graciously comply and request that they also let the chief know what a good job I'm doing. Funny thing.......I was never called into the chief's office for a dress down. Years later, when I was the police chief, my "street" experience with handling complaints against police officers was a real asset in how I resolved them.

Another frequent disgruntled motorist retort was "Do you know who I am. I'll have your job." This usually came from some "connected" politician or political hack. My response was usually a polite smile and an explanation of how the violator could have my job. I would first explain that he would have to take a competitive exam with a thousand other candidates. Then he would have to pass a grueling physical. If he remained successful he would be required to complete six months of classroom and physical training usually run by those who served as USMC DI's. He would also have to complete the course on dealing with irate citizens. If he passed all that and was appointed, he might be lucky enough to get me as his FTO (Field Training Officer) for 3-6 months. Subject to my signing off on his performance and comprehension of the law and his job......he could have my job. Not once was I ever called on the carpet for being a smart ass cop. I probably would have plead guilty.

Tip for Villagers. Seriously, the hardest summons to write is to the driver that looks you in the eye and says "I know I was wrong", whatever you write me for, I know you're just doing your job and it's not personal." In most cases, not all, a warning would suffice.

Discretion on the issuance of summonses is built into the law. It would be impossible to enforce every law on the books equally without the discretion component. Accordingly, law enforcement generally administers "selective enforcement" to address emergent problems and circumstances. With limited resources, police administrators deploy their assets by prioritizing public safety needs. The needs are dynamic and in constant flux. Accordingly priorities are not constant and may change from month to month or even day to day. I do not know if this is relevant to the thread topic but, professionally...it's plausible.

Have a good day in the Villages.
I like what you said, cabo.
  #161  
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
skyguy79's Avatar
skyguy79 skyguy79 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Posts: 5,576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Many sunrises and sunsets ago, as a young police officer, I remember the frequent protest of those who were cited for an assortment of infractions. It usually, as indicated above, involved a reference to who pays your salary. An old timer told me that when I was confronted with that line...to reach into my pocket for loose change not to exceed 50 cents and hand it to the violator. Follow-up with a brief, polite explanation that you are refunding what the offender contributed toward your salary. Today in The Villages, there are 80,000 residents. Average police salary maybe 30-40K....you do the math. When I hear in any context about "badge heavy tools" and the "folks who pay your salary", it brings back memories and a smile. Thank you.

A follow-up line by the miscreant might be, "Give me your name and badge number...I'm calling your chief." I would graciously comply and request that they also let the chief know what a good job I'm doing. Funny thing.......I was never called into the chief's office for a dress down. Years later, when I was the police chief, my "street" experience with handling complaints against police officers was a real asset in how I resolved them.

Another frequent disgruntled motorist retort was "Do you know who I am. I'll have your job." This usually came from some "connected" politician or political hack. My response was usually a polite smile and an explanation of how the violator could have my job. I would first explain that he would have to take a competitive exam with a thousand other candidates. Then he would have to pass a grueling physical. If he remained successful he would be required to complete six months of classroom and physical training usually run by those who served as USMC DI's. He would also have to complete the course on dealing with irate citizens. If he passed all that and was appointed, he might be lucky enough to get me as his FTO (Field Training Officer) for 3-6 months. Subject to my signing off on his performance and comprehension of the law and his job......he could have my job. Not once was I ever called on the carpet for being a smart ass cop. I probably would have plead guilty.

Tip for Villagers. Seriously, the hardest summons to write is to the driver that looks you in the eye and says "I know I was wrong", whatever you write me for, I know you're just doing your job and it's not personal." In most cases, not all, a warning would suffice.

Discretion on the issuance of summonses is built into the law. It would be impossible to enforce every law on the books equally without the discretion component. Accordingly, law enforcement generally administers "selective enforcement" to address emergent problems and circumstances. With limited resources, police administrators deploy their assets by prioritizing public safety needs. The needs are dynamic and in constant flux. Accordingly priorities are not constant and may change from month to month or even day to day. I do not know if this is relevant to the thread topic but, professionally...it's plausible.

Have a good day in the Villages.
Cabo, I agree with what you've stated 120% and in part it hits home.

About 33 years ago I was hired as an enforcement supervisor with the NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicles and held the position for 23 years during which time the duties expanded to triple from where they started from. It was administrative enforcement and not line enforcement. Through those years I too got those rediculous lines thrown at me like I pay your salary, you have no idea who your dealing with etc. I didn't throw lines back at such statements about the salary, but thought to myself "Hey, I pay my salary too" or ""So your responsible for my being underpaid" or "So give me a raise, I've earned it and deserve it" and some that I've long forgotten about. If I would reveal their names, you'd also be surprised at some of the people I've dealt with who had problems with their licenses; you'd probably recognize one or more of them.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is one of the things you mentioned... giving a refund of change $ to people who say they pay your salary. I wished I had heard of that. What a great idea! I just might of used that if I had thought about it. I can just imagine the looks on their faces now if I had done that!

Also I'd like to tell you something regarding not giving a hard time to an officer who's about to give you a ticket. About 14 years ago I was stopped by a New York State Trooper and for the first and only time in my life I was given a summons for a moving violation, a speeding ticket. Just before the Trooper handed me the ticket I said to him... "I can't really complain about getting this ticket since it's the first time I've gotten one in 34 years of driving." He responded by saying "I wish I could have said the same!" and we both laughed. He then handed me the ticket and we both went on our way.

So in conclusion let me say, thank you for serving us in the capacity you have as an enforcement officer and if you're a veteran... ditto that!

The Villages Florida
__________________
ARE VILLAGERS OLD OR ARE THEY RECYCLED TEENAGERS
At my age rolling out of bed in the morning is easy.
Getting up off the floor is another story.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
  #162  
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
GeorgeT GeorgeT is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 495
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
It was Golf-Tinker that suggested closing the thread.
It was both.
  #163  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM
skyguy79's Avatar
skyguy79 skyguy79 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Posts: 5,576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
let's put this thread to bed as another Village hoax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
It was Golf-Tinker that suggested closing the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
It was both.
Although both made the suggestion, the comment was only directed at golf2140's comments and not Golf-Tinker's!
__________________
ARE VILLAGERS OLD OR ARE THEY RECYCLED TEENAGERS
At my age rolling out of bed in the morning is easy.
Getting up off the floor is another story.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
  #164  
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Golf-Tinker Golf-Tinker is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Village of Hadley
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Die! Die! Die!

Get another life people.
__________________

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
  #165  
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Many sunrises and sunsets ago, as a young police officer, I remember the frequent protest of those who were cited for an assortment of infractions. It usually, as indicated above, involved a reference to who pays your salary. An old timer told me that when I was confronted with that line...to reach into my pocket for loose change not to exceed 50 cents and hand it to the violator. Follow-up with a brief, polite explanation that you are refunding what the offender contributed toward your salary. Today in The Villages, there are 80,000 residents. Average police salary maybe 30-40K....you do the math. When I hear in any context about "badge heavy tools" and the "folks who pay your salary", it brings back memories and a smile. Thank you.

A follow-up line by the miscreant might be, "Give me your name and badge number...I'm calling your chief." I would graciously comply and request that they also let the chief know what a good job I'm doing. Funny thing.......I was never called into the chief's office for a dress down. Years later, when I was the police chief, my "street" experience with handling complaints against police officers was a real asset in how I resolved them.

Another frequent disgruntled motorist retort was "Do you know who I am. I'll have your job." This usually came from some "connected" politician or political hack. My response was usually a polite smile and an explanation of how the violator could have my job. I would first explain that he would have to take a competitive exam with a thousand other candidates. Then he would have to pass a grueling physical. If he remained successful he would be required to complete six months of classroom and physical training usually run by those who served as USMC DI's. He would also have to complete the course on dealing with irate citizens. If he passed all that and was appointed, he might be lucky enough to get me as his FTO (Field Training Officer) for 3-6 months. Subject to my signing off on his performance and comprehension of the law and his job......he could have my job. Not once was I ever called on the carpet for being a smart ass cop. I probably would have plead guilty.

Tip for Villagers. Seriously, the hardest summons to write is to the driver that looks you in the eye and says "I know I was wrong", whatever you write me for, I know you're just doing your job and it's not personal." In most cases, not all, a warning would suffice.

Discretion on the issuance of summonses is built into the law. It would be impossible to enforce every law on the books equally without the discretion component. Accordingly, law enforcement generally administers "selective enforcement" to address emergent problems and circumstances. With limited resources, police administrators deploy their assets by prioritizing public safety needs. The needs are dynamic and in constant flux. Accordingly priorities are not constant and may change from month to month or even day to day. I do not know if this is relevant to the thread topic but, professionally...it's plausible.

Have a good day in the Villages.
Cabo 35.....you made my point. first, I appraoched disgruntled customersin the same manner as you did with violators. so it was a natural that I would train my subordinates in the same way. If I found an employee who continually displayed "being as subtle as a train wreck" I let them go.

I have said all along in this thread and similar threads that its not the ticket or the mehtod of operation as much as it is the lack of puiblic relation skills devoid in an officer. Yet you will not get an enorcement officer to admit an officer is out ofline because perhaps they can't or maybe because they won't.

Succintly stated, I have witnessed officers who are "as subtle as a train wreck." and I had to appoint an attorney to defend them in a court of law .
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.