Walking in the danger zone!

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 AM
Thanked 1,148 Times in 254 Posts
Default Cyclist was rude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtcc View Post
This has come up before but the other morning while walking on a path (facing potential traffic) a gentleman on a bicycle decided to play chicken to see if I would move. When he finally pulled on the grass he informed I'm to walk with traffic. I explained that ever since I was run over by a bicycle with stiches to show for it I will face traffic when possible. We agreed to disagree.

Out of curiosity I did a Google search for pedestrian regulations in Florida. In turns out that in 2022 Florida state regulations, 316.130; Pedestrians; traffic regulations it clearly states if there is not a sidewalk when walking along a road the pedestrian is to walk on the left side facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

I guess you can quibble as to what makes a road or highway but for me if anything with wheels is on that surface I'm on the left side. Walking on the right side with carts and bicycles coming behind me is like trusting everyone in a roundabout to stay in their lane! Below is a link to the regulations.

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
It is bicyclists like that who give us all a bad name. As a cyclist I would rather have walkers facing me. Too many walkers have ear buds in or are hard of hearing and do not hear me call out when I am approaching from behind.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This has come up before but the other morning while walking on a path (facing potential traffic) a gentleman on a bicycle decided to play chicken to see if I would move. When he finally pulled on the grass he informed I'm to walk with traffic. I explained that ever since I was run over by a bicycle with stiches to show for it I will face traffic when possible. We agreed to disagree.

Out of curiosity I did a Google search for pedestrian regulations in Florida. In turns out that in 2022 Florida state regulations, 316.130; Pedestrians; traffic regulations it clearly states if there is not a sidewalk when walking along a road the pedestrian is to walk on the left side facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

I guess you can quibble as to what makes a road or highway but for me if anything with wheels is on that surface I'm on the left side. Walking on the right side with carts and bicycles coming behind me is like trusting everyone in a roundabout to stay in their lane! Below is a link to the regulations.

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine
You were right. He was wrong.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:49 AM

A Drivers Ed teacher that I had in high school used to say “You can be right, just don’t be dead right.” Just like in defensive driving, walkers should think defensively when on any path that has other modes of transportation.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 08-24-2022, 06:53 AM

I've been running for 41 years. Always face traffic of any sort. When I run on the MM paths I always stay left. I want to see whats coming. Sidewalks are a different animal. I stay on the right, most runners/walkers I see do the same.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:20 AM
Default Walking

Quote:

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine
I see a lot of people walk in the golf cart lane even when there is a sidewalk.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,771 Times in 1,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I disagree with your characterisation of the cyclist. He is definitely not a gentleman. Oh, and he was wrong.
True, on all points.

A fair number of people who live in TV walk (and drive) in contravention to Florida law: not so many now as during snowbird season. I don't walk or bike on paths designed just for that traffic, but when I'm walking on an MMP you can be goldurned sure that I'm walking on the LEFT. The way some people drive those golf carts, I want to see what is coming as far in advance as possible.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:02 AM
Smile Walking in the danger zone

Walk facing the traffic. Bikes are considered as vehicles.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,546 Times in 2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVH234591 View Post
Walk facing the traffic. Bikes are considered as vehicles.
Vehicles are not allowed on sidewalks - bikes are.
Vehicles are not allowed on the walking paths in the Fenney area - bikes are.
Vehicles are allowed on the turnpike - bikes are not.

Be predictable: Walk facing motor vehicle traffic, including 500lb golf carts, and walk on the right on sidewalks and walking trails.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-24-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
My practice is if there is motorized vehicle traffic I walk against the traffic, if it's just walkers and bicycles I walk with traffic. I expect a cyclist coming up behind me to say "on your left". I said that to a walker the other day though and he went left in front of me. Claimed he hadn't had his coffee yet.

I always walk against motorized traffic and on paths that allow bikes. I don't trust anyone in a car or on a bike behind me. Most bikers do say, on your left, but I have had a few almost run me over! No thanks! I want to see what is coming at me at all times.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:39 AM
Default Walkers on Cart Roads

This is a great thread that discusses legal and safe ways to walk on the cart roads. I would like to add a note about the few walkers who walk as a couple, side by side, and do not yield to oncoming vehicles. There are certainly many who walk single file when a vehicle approaches but there is an occasional couple who must feel they can walk side by side and the cart must negotiate passing them. Common sense would indicate that the walkers ought to briefly move to single file and the cart should slow down to safely pass the oncoming walkers. Normally there is plenty of room for all walkers, bikers, and carts but be very careful when the path splits and there is an island of trees and shrubs dividing and narrowing the path. If everyone shares the road with safety and courtesy in mind, all will be better off.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:52 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

Agree. I like seeing what is coming my way for sure.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

CONSIDER THAT A WARNING … it’s a Dry Run for SNOWBIRDS

OP you have been Blessed with patience…
Old 08-24-2022, 08:55 AM
Default Walking

Quote:

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine
I Walk for over two hours each morning. I face the traffic. Thanks to that I saved myself of been run over twice by distracted gulf cart driver.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
This is a great thread that discusses legal and safe ways to walk on the cart roads. (...snip...) Normally there is plenty of room for all walkers, bikers, and carts but be very careful when the path splits and there is an island of trees and shrubs dividing and narrowing the path. If everyone shares the road with safety and courtesy in mind, all will be better off.
This kind of "normally" works in most cases. Yet, the lady walking along "with traffic" on a multimodal path near Citrus Grove yesterday, WHILE yacking on her phone, had no clue that the cart which passed within 4 inches of her elbow was in too much of a hurry to get around her than to wait for the oncoming cart. Even after almost getting run down she was completely unaware and kept chattering along.

Walk facing traffic, and be aware of what's happening around you. Listen carefully, and maybe turn down your earbuds enough to hear approaching traffic.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:59 AM
Default You Are Correct

Quote:

Statutes & Constitution
:

Online Sunshine
The whole idea is to be able to react to a vehicle which may cause harm to you. If you're facing the traffic you can see it coming and take evasive action, if necessary. If you're walking WITH the traffic a vehicle, especially a quiet electric golf cart, can come up behind you, strike you and you'll never know what hit you.

As for the guy who told you otherwise, he's an example of why here in The Villages you have to have eyes in the back of your head. Too people do not know "The Rules of the Road".
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, walking, regulations, side, pedestrian

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.