Walking with the traffic

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default Walking with the traffic

Why do people walk with the traffic? My guess they are from the city, only because they use sidewalks. Very dangerous. Please always walk facing traffic.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,182 Times in 2,263 Posts

Its illegal to walk with traffic, bicycles go with traffic, walkers go against traffic, see the opposite all the time. I also see many walkers with earphones, so now walking with traffic and earphones, they cannot see or hear any on coming cars!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Why do people walk with the traffic? My guess they are from the city, only because they use sidewalks. Very dangerous. Please always walk facing traffic.
Here up north I see people walking with traffic on narrow roads with no sidewalks and barely a berm along the side of the road and I just cringe. It seems like common sense to me to walk in a fashion that one can see what is coming and at least have a chance to move out of the way, if necessary. With the amount of distracted driving out there today it's more than dangerous not to walk facing traffic, it's insane, unless you have a death wish or something.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A Florida pedestrian rule:

Where a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian can walk on the road. (Warning, always be cautious and remember that sharing roadways with cars always places one in greater danger.) When a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian should walk on the left side of the roadway (preferably the shoulder) as related to the pedestrian’s direction of walking, facing the oncoming traffic. A driver and a pedestrian who face each other are more aware of each other’s presence, and this reduces the likelihood of any kind of accident.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I see people walking with traffic often on streets and trails in The Villages. Very dangerous. Misinformed I guess...
Old 11-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Sage

Dangerous for sure....add to that the dark clothing and a mix for disaster!! I've seen bicycle riders with dark clothing on as well....I'd say even during the daytime it's not a good idea as if you're in the shadows of trees/follage, you blend in.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,453 Posts

I walk facing traffic and with so many drivers using their phones I never take my eyes off of their front right tire, if they start going to their right I get off the road immediately and it has happened several times since moving down here.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

The Villages Florida
Old 11-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Its illegal to walk with traffic, bicycles go with traffic, walkers go against traffic, see the opposite all the time. I also see many walkers with earphones, so now walking with traffic and earphones, they cannot see or hear any on coming cars!
Agreed, walking AND RUNNING with the traffic is dangerous but I don't believe it is "against the law" especially on MMPs where the law wouldn't apply or be enforceable if there was one. We walk every morning between Amelia and LSL and we see RUNNERS running with traffic with headphones all the time along the MMP and wonder how they don't get hit by some crazy golf cart drivers who don't even slow down going around blind curves (like heading north or south on MMP just before the Stillwater crossing). We've almost been run down there multiple times by folks going full speed around that totally blind curve in either direction. Now we walk in the deep wet grass to save ourselves there. I don't think some of these drivers understand the purpose of a brake pedal.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
What statute is that please?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,182 Times in 2,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What statute is that please?
See item #4 below:

The 2018 Florida Statutes
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
316.130 Pedestrians; traffic regulations.—
(1) A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device specifically applicable to the pedestrian unless otherwise directed by a police officer.

(2) Pedestrians shall be subject to traffic control signals at intersections as provided in s. 316.075, but at all other places pedestrians shall be accorded the privileges and be subject to the restrictions stated in this chapter.

(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.

(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

(5) No person shall stand in the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic for the purpose of soliciting a ride, employment, or business from the occupant of any vehicle.

(6) No person shall stand on or in proximity to a street or highway for the purpose of soliciting the watching or guarding of any vehicle while parked or about to be parked on a street or highway.

(7)(a) The driver of a vehicle at an intersection that has a traffic control signal in place shall stop before entering the crosswalk and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian, with a permitted signal, to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

(b) The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk where signage so indicates shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

(c) When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation and there is no signage indicating otherwise, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(8) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

(9) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(11) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic control signals are in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

(12) No pedestrian shall, except in a marked crosswalk, cross a roadway at any other place than by a route at right angles to the curb or by the shortest route to the opposite curb.

(13) Pedestrians shall move, whenever practicable, upon the right half of crosswalks.

(14) No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic control devices, and, when authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.

(15) Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian or any person propelling a human-powered vehicle and give warning when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person.

(16) No pedestrian shall enter or remain upon any bridge or approach thereto beyond the bridge signal, gate, or barrier after a bridge operation signal indication has been given. No pedestrian shall pass through, around, over, or under any crossing gate or barrier at a railroad grade crossing or bridge while such gate or barrier is closed or is being opened or closed.

(17) No pedestrian may jump or dive from a publicly owned bridge. Nothing in this provision requires the state or any political subdivision of the state to post signs notifying the public of this provision. The failure to post a sign may not be construed by any court to create liability on the part of the state or any of its political subdivisions for injuries sustained as a result of jumping or diving from a bridge in violation of this subsection.

(18) No pedestrian shall walk upon a limited access facility or a ramp connecting a limited access facility to any other street or highway; however, this subsection does not apply to maintenance personnel of any governmental subdivision.

(19) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable pursuant to chapter 318 as either a pedestrian violation or, if the infraction resulted from the operation of a vehicle, as a moving violation.

History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; ss. 1, 8, ch. 76-31; s. 2, ch. 83-68; ss. 1, 2, ch. 83-74; s. 3, ch. 84-309; s. 306, ch. 95-148; s. 123, ch. 99-248; s. 2, ch. 2008-33.

Note.—Former s. 316.057.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
A Florida pedestrian rule:

Where a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian can walk on the road. (Warning, always be cautious and remember that sharing roadways with cars always places one in greater danger.) When a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian should walk on the left side of the roadway (preferably the shoulder) as related to the pedestrian’s direction of walking, facing the oncoming traffic. A driver and a pedestrian who face each other are more aware of each other’s presence, and this reduces the likelihood of any kind of accident.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Up here - some of our folks have sidewalks, some don't. This rule would have me cross the street at the end of one person's property, so that I can walk the length of another person's property, and then cross the street again so I can return to the sidewalk on the third person's property.

That makes - absolutely, positively, zero sense whatsoever, in any universe.

You walk on whichever side of the road has the sidewalks. If one property or a few of those properties on that sidewalk side, doesn't have a sidewalk, you stick close to the curb and continue on the same side of the road, so that you can get to the next sidewalk.

On the other hand -

If you live 4 houses away from the crosswalk, and the OTHER side of the road has sidewalks and your side does not...

You cross the street at the crosswalk, and walk close to the curb on your side of the road - whether that's with or against traffic - til you get to your house.

Maybe it's different in the Villages. But here in suburbia, that's how it is.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

Just saw the previous post with the copy/paste of the actual statutes. Seems the rules in Florida are the same as the rules here in Connecticut, for the most part. Here it is, bolded for emphasis:

Quote:
(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.
So yes - you walk on the sidewalks when available. If there's no sidewalk, and it is practicable, you should walk on the left side. This also means that if it is NOT practicable, then you should stick with the right side. Left side = preferred, when it makes sense to do so. But not obligatory.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Here up north I see people walking with traffic on narrow roads with no sidewalks and barely a berm along the side of the road and I just cringe. It seems like common sense to me to walk in a fashion that one can see what is coming and at least have a chance to move out of the way, if necessary. With the amount of distracted driving out there today it's more than dangerous not to walk facing traffic, it's insane, unless you have a death wish or something.
It is a northern thing? Seriously safety and common sense should come in play. Pedestrians walking thru dark tunnels and blind curbs need to be extra aware.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...Left side = preferred, when it makes sense to do so. But not obligatory.
Yep.
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, walk, sidewalks, facing, dangerous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.