Dog Poop Solution

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2024, 10:23 AM
Default Dog Poop Solution

One of the biggest issues Villagers have to contend with is folks not willing to pick up their dog feces. Whether it's ruining the esthetics or harming the environment, laziness of owner's responsibilities should not be permitted.

The Villages could easily implement the dog DNA program, like many apartment, condo, and other housing areas have done. Dog owners and renters would submit a dog saliva swab for each dog, and be registered in the company's database, and culprit samples are sent and analyzed. The owner would then be identified and fined. Repeat offenders would have an additional consequence. It's not rocket science.

There are several companies making MILLIONS because of this, and Villagers deserve this issue to be addressed. To cover initial costs, dog owners would pay a small fee at the time of swabbbing. This approach would likely be welcomed by the majority of Villagers. Those who might be opposed- well guess why?

Dog feces left all over is becoming an increasing problem. I hope the people and TV administrators begin to push for this type of program. Perhaps it could be voted on by residents by District, and start small and see how effective it is. Of course there are issues to work out, but what a good resolution. Google DNA Dog Poop companies- you will find success stories and how they operate in some communities. Check out this for starters.

Dog Poop DNA Testing: The Scoop On The Latest Trend To Apprehend Offending Owners
Old 01-29-2024, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,109 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTVTV View Post
One of the biggest issues Villagers have to contend with is folks not willing to pick up their dog feces. Whether it's ruining the esthetics or harming the environment, laziness of owner's responsibilities should not be permitted.

The Villages could easily implement the dog DNA program, like many apartment, condo, and other housing areas have done. Dog owners and renters would submit a dog saliva swab for each dog, and be registered in the company's database, and culprit samples are sent and analyzed. The owner would then be identified and fined. Repeat offenders would have an additional consequence. It's not rocket science.

There are several companies making MILLIONS because of this, and Villagers deserve this issue to be addressed. To cover initial costs, dog owners would pay a small fee at the time of swabbbing. This approach would likely be welcomed by the majority of Villagers. Those who might be opposed- well guess why?

Dog feces left all over is becoming an increasing problem. I hope the people and TV administrators begin to push for this type of program. Perhaps it could be voted on by residents by District, and start small and see how effective it is. Of course there are issues to work out, but what a good resolution. Google DNA Dog Poop companies- you will find success stories and how they operate in some communities. Check out this for starters.

Dog Poop DNA Testing: The Scoop On The Latest Trend To Apprehend Offending Owners

Aside from considering this post to be some sort of joke, The Villages could not implement such a thing, as they have no control over such things ... like people walking their dogs on public streets or hanging out at Town Squares.

The ONLY thing The Villages control, are Deed Restrictions and Covenants. CDD's control the use of amenities and utilities. The state and the various towns/counties control everything else and are in charge of dog poop.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:

While DNA may be practical in some situations, I doubt it would work well here.
Our issue here, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that folks don't pick up, as much as the fact that they take the dog to other properties to do their business. It is the act of trespassing and depositing filth, urine and/or feces, that is upsetting. Picking up does not return the spot to its former condition. Try picking up the same way when the dog has an accident on your carpet. I doubt anyone would be satisfied that the carpet was sufficiently clean.
Assuming that you have unrestricted use of properties that do not belong to you is arrogance, plain and simple.
This arrogant use of properties you don't own is a form of abuse. People don't like being abused. That is the problem.
"Keep Off ! It doesn't belong to you!"
Old 01-29-2024, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,406 Posts

We know where this will be going. I predict 125 posts.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
NO! 200 minimum! Even if I have to do all the posts myself.🙃
Old 01-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Another Zombie thread....
Old 01-29-2024, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Poop! We don't need no stinkin' poop!
Old 01-29-2024, 01:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,626 Times in 596 Posts

Think about when you buy your home, you get your pictures taken for your new residence ID.

Your pet gets their picture taken for a tag, that has scanned at each dog park, square, and walking path and a deposit sample bag to be returned within 48 hours

At least we can make 200 posts funny.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,760 Posts

The problem starts when they allow their dog on another person’s property for any reason. Some people are intimidated by dogs that the owner does not seem to have under control. That is even before the dog poops on the lawn. I just don’t understand why people want to make their neighbors upset. There is no way I see a positive outcome.

Sometimes visitors aren’t told the rules and expectations, and sometimes quite innocently, they wonder why they are being shunned.There is a new neighbor in our neck of the woods. Lets dogs out indiscriminately. I think they were run out of the area they lived previously in TV and they’re not off to a good start so far.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The problem starts when they allow their dog on another person’s property for any reason. Some people are intimidated by dogs that the owner does not seem to have under control. That is even before the dog poops on the lawn. I just don’t understand why people want to make their neighbors upset. There is no way I see a positive outcome.

Sometimes visitors aren’t told the rules and expectations, and sometimes quite innocently, they wonder why they are being shunned.There is a new neighbor in our neck of the woods. Lets dogs out indiscriminately. I think they were run out of the area they lived previously in TV and they’re not off to a good start so far.
I hope this is not near a golf course? Coyotes use the golf courses at night to get around and hunt. I only know of small dogs being taken though by these animals.

The bigger worry is dogs getting hit by cars or golf carts. I know a lot more pooches killed or maimed by cars running into them. Or, golf carts.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,132 Posts

A neighbor was tying their dogs up in their driveway, unsupervised. I let them know that sure - that's allowed. But the coyotes, bobcats, foxes, owls, eagles, hawks, and other birds of prey would be VERY happy to see that habit continued. So far, they haven't left their dogs out unsupervised since. Very glad about that, because I was absolutely serious. I really like my neighbor. And I love dogs. But I also love nature in general, and owls gotta eat, and nothing says "lunch" to an owl like a tiny miniature furball tied to a stake in the front yard.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A neighbor was tying their dogs up in their driveway, unsupervised. I let them know that sure - that's allowed. But the coyotes, bobcats, foxes, owls, eagles, hawks, and other birds of prey would be VERY happy to see that habit continued. So far, they haven't left their dogs out unsupervised since. Very glad about that, because I was absolutely serious. I really like my neighbor. And I love dogs. But I also love nature in general, and owls gotta eat, and nothing says "lunch" to an owl like a tiny miniature furball tied to a stake in the front yard.
Most of the dogs taken by wildlife were at dawn, dusk or at night.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A neighbor was tying their dogs up in their driveway, unsupervised. I let them know that sure - that's allowed. But the coyotes, bobcats, foxes, owls, eagles, hawks, and other birds of prey would be VERY happy to see that habit continued.
Plus, these critters along with squirrels, rats, snakes, feral cats, and small birds poop in the yards and NO ONE complains about that.

There are probably less than 100 rude neighbors out of 150,000 that don't pick up after their dogs. Ranting about it on ToTV ain't gonna fix those few entitled buttheads.

Deep breath. Be happy. Move on.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Plus, these critters along with squirrels, rats, snakes, feral cats, and small birds poop in the yards and NO ONE complains about that.

There are probably less than 100 rude neighbors out of 150,000 that don't pick up after their dogs. Ranting about it on ToTV ain't gonna fix those few entitled buttheads.

Deep breath. Be happy. Move on.
No one is responsible for the behavior of wild animals but dogs are pets. The difference seems obvious.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:

I'm sure that everyone that owns a pet will jump on this idea.............NOT!
If they would be willing to do this, don't you think that they would also be willing to stay out of other resident's property? AND there is no way to force folks to comply, especially renters with their dogs. Sure, it might work in a small apartment complex, because they could be evicted if they didn't comply. Not in the Villages.

Tags
dog, owners, villagers, program, dna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.