We found a house. Yea!

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Curled leaves are usually a sign of a fungus or insects or insufficient water. You can always take a leaf or two to the mastering garden clinic and they can help you out. Only use the spike fertilizers when the leaves begin to fade in color.

And, yes, our lawns are very prone to insects -- fire ants, chinch bugs, army worms and who knows what else.
Where does one find the master garden clinic? Is it a once in awhile thing?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Sage

Congrats. Best wishes as you start living the dream.

Follow Red's suggestions.

I like to emphasize that you better off to get things accomplished over a period of time as opposed to feeling like you have to get them done in two weeks. That will exhaust you.

I also like to say that ideas of what you want to do with decorating will come to you, over a period of time. I know several people who wanted things to be done immediately and then saw a better way after they looked around for a while resulting in a waste of time and effort, not to mention money.

I know you have been looking forward to the move for a long time. so welcome.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Most companies will come out 2-4 times per year. Our applications are always on the exterior of the home. We have not had an interior application in the 3 years we have owned our home.
Ditto. Even when bugs come visiting, it's usually because they came in on HisBigHairySelf--the dog, not the husband--or we left the door open, or someone near is digging up their property, or we hosed the lanai & opened the screens. Stellar, and now Fertigator, start with spraying the outside and only come inside if that doesn't do the trick. Which has never been necessary.

Do get a house watch company. PM Barefoot, she loves hers and has been using them for 7 years or so. Or use Redwitch, whom others like.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Sage
Default Home watch

I also would like to suggest a home watch for your new home. I use Charlene from the village sitter (267)481-0588. Charlene was my third home watch person. I had to let the other two go one due to issues of things missing from the house and the other one we made a surprise visit and no one had been in my house for weeks. It's very difficult to be far away from my home and not know what's going on. Charlene goes to my house runs my sprinkle system checks the lawn, runs my dishwasher, checks the refrigerator, looks for bugs and other issues. That's every week. If there is. Problem she calls me and emails me. She has found issues that the home inspector missed. She has even contacted me about my neighbors lawn to let them know their lawn was dying due to no water. (They were very grateful and changed their home watch company also). She changes her routine of the time she comes,and never has any signage on her car. She is like family to us. Pm me if you have questions.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I also would like to suggest a home watch for your new home. I use Charlene from the village sitter (267)481-0588. Charlene was my third home watch person. I had to let the other two go one due to issues of things missing from the house and the other one we made a surprise visit and no one had been in my house for weeks. It's very difficult to be far away from my home and not know what's going on. Charlene goes to my house runs my sprinkle system checks the lawn, runs my dishwasher, checks the refrigerator, looks for bugs and other issues. That's every week. If there is. Problem she calls me and emails me. She has found issues that the home inspector missed. She has even contacted me about my neighbors lawn to let them know their lawn was dying due to no water. (They were very grateful and changed their home watch company also). She changes her routine of the time she comes,and never has any signage on her car. She is like family to us. Pm me if you have questions.
I have heard many good reports about Charlene.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Platinum member

The Villages is a haven for pest control companies and those who use them. People move here and everyone puts the fear of God in them as if critters will carry your house away. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most people seem to have pest control from day one, even though they really don't know if they need that service.

I moved to Florida in 1983 and have lived in Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Louisiana and Las Vegas. I have never had a service inside or out! The few times I had ants, I used ant traps or Terro for sugar ants. They were gone in a few days. If I get fire ants, I treat the mound. I do not believe in the constant use of a service and the use of those chemicals.

If you house is empty for a while, you probably will find some critters. When a house is occupied, they usually are few, if at all. Finding a few bugs here or there is not a reason to spray. This is Florida and the bugs were here before we were. Unless you have a genuine problem and are overrun with bugs, my advice is to save your money and not hire a service. Treat the problem selectively if it becomes necessary.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

Trudy,

Congratulation on purchasing a house in TV. It gives me hope when a long time wannabee makes the leap to becoming a Villager. Enjoy many great times in your new home!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.