Welcome Wagon

Old 06-27-2023, 03:00 PM
Default Welcome Wagon

Just bought a house at TV. Is there some sort of turnkey concierge service similar to a 'welcome wagon' the Villages has to provide information for new owners just getting started and has lots of questions? Info on: utility services, internet services, insurance services, yard maintenance, police and emergency contacts, who to call for which questions, etc., etc., including recommendations, web sites, phone numbers, even user reviews.

If so, will they contact me or do I need to contact them? If the latter, who would I contact? Thank you!

Old 06-27-2023, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,308 Posts

When we moved in in 2013, we had a "welcome wagon" person stop by with a small gift basket, followed by a high pressure sales pitch for water conditioner system. After 30 minutes or more I was finally able to get them to leave, be careful what you wish for.

IMHO, I would introduce myself to my neighbors and see what they have found out for your location, then use this site for additional information. You might also be able to get some info from your sales agent.

We use AAA for insurance, Progressive for house, cars and golfcart, all bundled together. Police and other emergency services are all contacted through 911. Depending on where you live, there will be different NON emergency phone numbers for some services.

There is also another website NEXTDOOR that will have some of the info you are looking for.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:28 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

MrLonzo - You might wish to consider attending one of these sessions VCDD Resident Academy
And you might want to attend this group meeting VCDD Orientation

And there is a wealth of info available starting here Village Community Development Districts

Old 06-27-2023, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

You already found a good source TOTV.😎

Old 06-27-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
MrLonzo - You might wish to consider attending one of these sessions VCDD Resident Academy
And you might want to attend this group meeting VCDD Orientation

And there is a wealth of info available starting here Village Community Development Districts
Thank you very much for this!

Old 06-28-2023, 03:29 PM

Well, I guess the answer is there is no 'welcoming committee'.

For electric service, I heard the names SECO and Duke Energy. Ok. Which should I use? Do they both service my area? After about 3 websites and 4 calls, I finally got an account with SECO. Took the better part of a day.

Now on to a gas provider. The name on my breaker panel is LECO (see photo). I went to the LECO site and got nowhere. My real estate agent said TECO. Again, I’m fishing around for information about providers – are they exclusive to my area or overlapping? I go to the TECO website, it says “Tampa Electric” COmpany. Electric? I’m look for gas! And Tampa? I’m in the Villages. Do you see how the new guy on the block can be confused?

And next on the list is internet providers. And trash collectors. And water/sewer. And on and on.

Someone said talk to a neighbor and find out what they’re using. It’s hard when you haven’t moved in yet and met the neighbors because you’re still in another state packing your stuff trying to move.
Others suggested different websites, and there is a lot of information so easy to get lost in. One contact suggested was the Community Development District. I did email them with some questions and was told to call SECO and TECO for electric and gas service for my area, but no further details. Do they have competitors? Or are they monopoly utilities? Why does TECO have so many websites? And what is this LECO? And what about water, sewer, trash pickup?

Finally, after 3 days, I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6I6_1vAdBM. Starting at 1 minute in, it answers most of the ‘start up’ questions I’ve been asking for 3 days! I find it incredible that with all the people buying and moving into homes everyday in “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown” that there’s no one (not even the real estate agent) who provides some simple introduction like this. I also came across a book, “Inside the Bubble” by Ryan Erisman, which provides a lot of tips and details about living in the Villages. It’s $25 on Amazon, but right now I’m only interested in Chapter 25 entitled “Things to do right after moving here”. Too bad the Villages has people holding doors open for you at the sales offices, but doesn’t even have a 1-page informational brochure on these 'move-in' topics for new buyers moving to the Villages!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	TVElectPanelInfo.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	99052  

Old 06-28-2023, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Aren’t a lot of the things OP is asking about already defined and established in a new home purchase.
For the two new homes I purchased I didn’t have to shop for electric and gas service. Trash pick-up happened when we moved in.
Things must have changed?

Old 06-29-2023, 04:44 AM

Our Sales agent provided us a list of who to call for what, based on our home location/County within The Villages.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
Just bought a house at TV. Is there some sort of turnkey concierge service similar to a 'welcome wagon' the Villages has to provide information for new owners just getting started and has lots of questions? Info on: utility services, internet services, insurance services, yard maintenance, police and emergency contacts, who to call for which questions, etc., etc., including recommendations, web sites, phone numbers, even user reviews.

If so, will they contact me or do I need to contact them? If the latter, who would I contact? Thank you!
We were given all that info at closing.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

My builder was the one man welcome committee and he showed me around then things to do and look for

Old 06-29-2023, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

go to the new resident night, usually at the Colony Regional center. Given once a month, and it's free. Also go to the golf cart safety clinic, also given once a month, also free. You can find this and additional information on the district web site..... Village Community Development Districts. Also, sign into Nextdoor.com and facebook page The Villages Friendly folks.

Last edited by bowlingal; 06-29-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:14 AM

To my knowledge there is a Villages concierge service for VLS buyers. If you used a VLS salesperson they can provide you with the person’s name.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
go to the new resident night, usually at the Colony Regional center. Given once a month, and it's free. Also go to the golf cart safety clinic, also given once a month, also free. You can find this and additional information on the district web site..... Village Community Development Districts. Also, sign into Nextdoor.com and facebook page The Villages Friendly folks.
The next VHA New Residents Night is on July 11 at Ezell Recreation Center. The doors open at 6:30 pm. Go to theVHA.net for more dates and events.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess the answer is there is no 'welcoming committee'.

For electric service, I heard the names SECO and Duke Energy. Ok. Which should I use? Do they both service my area? After about 3 websites and 4 calls, I finally got an account with SECO. Took the better part of a day.

Now on to a gas provider. The name on my breaker panel is LECO (see photo). I went to the LECO site and got nowhere. My real estate agent said TECO. Again, I’m fishing around for information about providers – are they exclusive to my area or overlapping? I go to the TECO website, it says “Tampa Electric” COmpany. Electric? I’m look for gas! And Tampa? I’m in the Villages. Do you see how the new guy on the block can be confused?

And next on the list is internet providers. And trash collectors. And water/sewer. And on and on.

Someone said talk to a neighbor and find out what they’re using. It’s hard when you haven’t moved in yet and met the neighbors because you’re still in another state packing your stuff trying to move.
Others suggested different websites, and there is a lot of information so easy to get lost in. One contact suggested was the Community Development District. I did email them with some questions and was told to call SECO and TECO for electric and gas service for my area, but no further details. Do they have competitors? Or are they monopoly utilities? Why does TECO have so many websites? And what is this LECO? And what about water, sewer, trash pickup?

Finally, after 3 days, I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6I6_1vAdBM. Starting at 1 minute in, it answers most of the ‘start up’ questions I’ve been asking for 3 days! I find it incredible that with all the people buying and moving into homes everyday in “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown” that there’s no one (not even the real estate agent) who provides some simple introduction like this. I also came across a book, “Inside the Bubble” by Ryan Erisman, which provides a lot of tips and details about living in the Villages. It’s $25 on Amazon, but right now I’m only interested in Chapter 25 entitled “Things to do right after moving here”. Too bad the Villages has people holding doors open for you at the sales offices, but doesn’t even have a 1-page informational brochure on these 'move-in' topics for new buyers moving to the Villages!
Did you buy an older home, or brand new? We bought new six months ago and received all of that info and more in a welcome package sent to us before closing. Sorry it’s been so difficult for you. Welcome, and best of luck with your move!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,167 Posts

I've been here almost four years and still haven't yet been able to attend a new residents night. There were none for a long time during the Pandemic. The year before that, I only vaguely knew they existed from skimming some posts here that weren't related to anything I was focusing on at the time. I'm also involved in a club that meets on Tuesday afternoons down by O'Dell. So I'd have to come all the way back to the Historic section, stopping to pick up something for dinner so I can get home by 5, eat dinner, wash up, and then go all the way back down again to a 6:30 meeting, then back home again...

If they had it any other night of the week, it'd be great. I'm already -not- a member of the Historic Side Club for the same reason. I'd LOVE to join that club. But I can't wrap my mind around the idea that I'm retired, supposedly living in a resort community, and have to rush around every week at suppertime. I love my volunteer gig, but I just wish either it, or the club I want to join, would be on a different night. AND it'd be great if the new residents meeting would alternate nights. So people who have already joined a club that meets only on Tuesdays - still have a chance to attend one without missing the other.

Tags
contact, services, wagon, questions, sites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.