Welcome Wagon

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2023, 07:19 AM

Your realtor should have information for you or ask them. Make a list! I brought pre owner North of 466 with “Turnkey” meaning furniture in home. There are “Bonds” on home when purchasing you Need to ask about. Extra $$$! My realtor gave me all information needed to move it who to contact. Download The Villages app. Start looking thru it to find information.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:29 AM

From my experience, the only service where you have a choice is cable/internet. The companies available vary depending on where you live. The electric and gas utilities are specific to your area. I found calling them direct was helpful. Garbage is included in my monthly amenity fee, water, and garbage bill. Again, no competitors.

Sorry that your sales agent didn’t provide the information to you. Our agent, Kathy Collins, provided all of this and more. As noted above, use the search function on this site to read about specific improvements in which you might interested.

Hope things go better for you going forward.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 06-29-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
Well, I guess the answer is there is no 'welcoming committee'.

For electric service, I heard the names SECO and Duke Energy. Ok. Which should I use? Do they both service my area? After about 3 websites and 4 calls, I finally got an account with SECO. Took the better part of a day.

Now on to a gas provider. The name on my breaker panel is LECO (see photo). I went to the LECO site and got nowhere. My real estate agent said TECO. Again, I’m fishing around for information about providers – are they exclusive to my area or overlapping? I go to the TECO website, it says “Tampa Electric” COmpany. Electric? I’m look for gas! And Tampa? I’m in the Villages. Do you see how the new guy on the block can be confused?

And next on the list is internet providers. And trash collectors. And water/sewer. And on and on.

Someone said talk to a neighbor and find out what they’re using. It’s hard when you haven’t moved in yet and met the neighbors because you’re still in another state packing your stuff trying to move.
Others suggested different websites, and there is a lot of information so easy to get lost in. One contact suggested was the Community Development District. I did email them with some questions and was told to call SECO and TECO for electric and gas service for my area, but no further details. Do they have competitors? Or are they monopoly utilities? Why does TECO have so many websites? And what is this LECO? And what about water, sewer, trash pickup?

Finally, after 3 days, I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6I6_1vAdBM. Starting at 1 minute in, it answers most of the ‘start up’ questions I’ve been asking for 3 days! I find it incredible that with all the people buying and moving into homes everyday in “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown” that there’s no one (not even the real estate agent) who provides some simple introduction like this. I also came across a book, “Inside the Bubble” by Ryan Erisman, which provides a lot of tips and details about living in the Villages. It’s $25 on Amazon, but right now I’m only interested in Chapter 25 entitled “Things to do right after moving here”. Too bad the Villages has people holding doors open for you at the sales offices, but doesn’t even have a 1-page informational brochure on these 'move-in' topics for new buyers moving to the Villages!
Not quite the "friendliest town," but you should get all that info at closing. You'll find that once they have your money, they are not concerned with you. That is until the trolls report you for non-compliance, then their hands are tied.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

You need to have your utilities i your name at settlement, your agent would have set up electric/gas for you.

Trash is in your amenity bill
Water/sewer use the same company for all of TV

So your only option that the Welcome Wagon could help with is internet - BUT that’s your choice.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:17 AM

Contact your sales agent.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:09 PM

Maybe you should contact your salesperson.

I’ve heard great stories about how helpful the sales agents are, even well after the closing process has concluded.

Our salesperson was Lenny Berger. He was very helpful and knowledgeable, until the closing.

After we closed he wouldn’t return any messages, even to just say “I can’t help you.” Ironically, his newsletter often proclaimed that he is all about serving others.

Fortunately, he doesn’t work for the Villages any more.
Closed Thread

Tags
contact, services, wagon, questions, sites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.