What do folks do on their TV preview visit?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Default What do folks do on their TV preview visit?

My wife hasn't seen TV, and I've only spent an afternoon there. The place looks great, but it's the truly active, friendly lifestyle that appeals to me.

Now, the job is to get my wife to share my interest.

To be honest, I'm skeptical about how that happens in a preview visit....even six days.

What have you folks done during your preview visits? How do you really get a flavor for TV?

For example, is it realistic to think that visitors can dive right in and experience the TV active lifestyle? Did you do things like play pickleball, golf, etc.? Go to group meetings? Hang out in the squares, pools, etc.?

It seems like if we visited, we'd feel like....well, visitors, not really getting a feel for life in TV.

What was your preview experience like?

Ron
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Sage
Default Re: What do folks do on their TV preview visit?

Ron,

I have to admit, 6 days was not enough for us to really get the total feel of TV.Altho, some people say they go once and buy immediately!

It actually took 3 visits down until we knew we definitely wanted to be there and the third visit was a 6 weeker.

6 days is enough to see everything in TV but not enough to get involved in many of the clubs. However it is enough to golf, and do other sports of your choice.

For sure you must rent a golfcart and drive all around TV, that will really give you a feeling for it.

I hope I havant thouroughly confused you, Im sure you will be getting some intelligent answers from others on TOTV. Good luck, your gonna love it!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Yes you can do all that. But to be honest the best thing to do is explore the Villages. What I called it was..... give yourself a chance to get lost and than ask people for help and advice. That's when you will be surprised how nice the place is. And, don't forget to take a boat ride , trolley ride, and see the homes. Have fun on your trip.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 AM

On my first visit I went to the neighborhood pool, played indoor pool,went to a scrabble group, toured in the golf cart, went dancing at the square at night, took an auto tour of the outlying area. My wife went to line dance lesson, sewing group etc etc you get the idea. My second visit was a month and that a much more sensible time frame. Enjoy your visit.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Veteran member

We certainly played golf, but most valuable was the people watching -- squares at night, rec centers, where ever we found ourselves. People were very happy to chat, offer suggestions, tell of their experiences, etc. After 6 days we decided we needed to rent for at least a month for a couple of years before we made a decision. Well, 2 weeks into our first month stay and we bought a place.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We bought on our first visit after 3 days, we did visit 5 other communities but once we arrived here we knew this was the place.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Veteran member

Make sure you do all the things you can that's free on your temporary residence card.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 AM
JohnnyM

Hi Ron, Barbara and I spent less than a week and we have our house up for sale already. Rent a golf cart for the week or even a few days to get the feel of the lifestyle. It costs about $18 dollars a day. Make sure you go to Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs. We bought a drink sipped and watched the folks dancing and before you knew it we were dancing and having a ball. Walk hand and hand around Sumter landing or Spanish Springs and look in the shops. Have a coffee at Starbucks and walk along the Landing at night. My God I am making myself homesick. You can play tennis and or golf if you like. Your sales agent will give you details and set you up. You will definitely enjoy the dinners they give you. We were so engulfed in TV we didn't even use our free movie passes. We didn't want to miss anything just sitting in the movies. Have a ball, we did and sure your wife will. Good Luck, Johnny
Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Ron,

We also bought our house after a few days..We have it 4 years now..

Every time we go, we love it more and more..Still live in Pa..Not time to retire yet..

I love the squares at night, lots of people watching..The restaurants are great..We have made lots of friends..

The first time we visited, we went on the trolley tour, the pools, the squares, drove all around..We had a great time..

The people are wonderful..The Villages Florida

Best of luck to you..
DonnaThe Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Do As Many Things As Time Will Permit

Don't miss the trolley tour or having your sales rep show you some models. And the prior suggestions about going to the town squares to people watch, talk and dance, is a good one.

But like almost everyone that visits the first time, after a few days you'll be wondering how all these people could possibly be this happy. You'll wonder if it's in the water. (It isn't and everyone really is happy...but you'll have to experience this place before you come to accept that.)

Maybe the best description of The Villages came from our oldest son on the last night of his first visit. We were at Lake Sumter Landing listening to the Carribbean Chillers and I asked him if he now understood why we liked The Villages so much. He smiled and said, "Dad, this is like going off to college but never having to go to classes."

After thinking about his answer I've concluded that his description was more accurate than even The Villages marketing department could have dreamed up.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 AM

Village Kahuna: That response from your son is priceless.

I will be coming mid April for my first visit too and I plan to do all the things mentioned (trolley, golf cart rides, use free tickets, people watch at the squares, dancing,asking for directions - over and over and over and over, swim). I will be fortunate enough (sorry Russ_Boston, don't mean to brag again) to be there for the April TOTV meeting at Crispers so I am really looking forward to that. I also have a visit arranged with a nurse mgr. to tour the TVRH as I will be interested in f/t employment (thanks Russ for the info.). Wondering about Katie Belle's. What exactly is this place? What do they serve? Is there nightly dancing. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Sage

You're welcome JG - I really wish we could have worked it out to visit at the same time but as my favorite football coach says "It is what it is". Hey, do you think i can get some sort of finders fee from TVRH if they hire you? :joke:

My wife plans to fitness swim every morning on our visit. I plan to play golf at least twice and maybe a couple of executive nines as well. I'd love to at least hit a pickleball around for awhile as well! I plan to take in a softball game as well as a spectator. As JG mentioned i also have a meeting with TVRH about nursing jobs as i intend to work at least PT during my 'semi retirement'.

Can't wait.
Russ
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

One of the things that really convinced us was seeing all the visiting families. At Spanish Springs in the evenings you'll see all ages dancing, from the old folks down to the very little ones being carried by a parent. And everyone having such a good time.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM

I agree with all of the above. Also make sure you show and see the Rec. centers. When I saw the line dancing, I said to my husband, "OK we can move here". Have breakfast or lunch at the Sumter Sales Center and sit out on the Varanda. You can use the golf cart for some things but depending where they put you up, some can be a long way and then you just drive in your car. Don't be afraid to talk to people when at the pool or restrurant. We love to brag about this place.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

This is what we did:

- Played Golf
- Took a Golf lesson
- Played Tennis
- Went to Katie Bell's
- Danced at the Square LSL wasn't open yet.
- Had Lunches & Dinners in Village Restaurants
- When to all the Country Clubs
- Saw many homes both new & pre-owned with our TV Agent
- Saw many other homes with a realtor.
- Rented a golf cart and drove it everywhere.
- Shopped in TV stores
- When to all the Community Centers
- When to the Savannah Center to see a performance
- Listened to TV Radio Station
- Watched TV Television Station
- Went on the Bus Tour
- Went to Church
- Went to a community Pool.
- Went to a CC Pool.
- Talked to lots of residents and asked questions.
- Got lost several times but someone was always willing to help.
- Didn't get a chance to sleep much. Had to go back to work to rest!
- Had a great time
- Bought a home 1 year later.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.