What do you think of the new rules.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: What do you think of the new rules.

Um, Handi -- your place here or in upper NY?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

A lot of complaining, just remember the friendly town will remain friendly for the right price. Everyone is nice when the money is in their pocket. You dont like the party go home.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Hi,
I realized that NYE was an acronym for New Year's Eve, just was asking about the the purchasing of tables. It is difficult to imagine because I have not been in TV on NYE. It is quite confusing the prices seem steep and process convoluted. I am an outsider so my opinion is just that of an outsider.
:dontknow:
Liz
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

This is very distressing as the TV promotional portfolio says that entertainment on the town squares is free 365 days a year. Sales Reps make a big deal about when they give you the TV tour and Pep talk. I understand the need for crowd control and agree with Skip. If it's that crowded then volunteers could be enlisted to assist in keeping things running smoothly. Have arrangements been made to accommodate persons with disabilities? If not then the organizers are in violation of Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which took effect July 26, 1992. ??? Can you say AVARICE ??? :realmad:

If someone wants to profit from a NYE function then space should be rented and tickets should be sold for that specific party like some of the clubs of TV. A tradition which started in Boston, MA is First Night: http://www.firstnight.org/ where you purchase a $15 button which gives you access to special indoor venues but everything outside like Ice Sculptures, parade, lots of Street artists and Fireworks are totally free!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Last nye was my first in the villages and I agree that something had to change, is was chaotic. I talked with people that said they could not get there cart or car home that night because people were parked 4 or 5 golf carts deep around the square. Now I know $30.00 for 8 people sounds like a lot for a poverty stricken community like tv but if spots were free people would be reserving them just to reserve in case they needed. A fee sadly helps control demand.

I will show up at the square again this year (do not have a table as I,m not yet there to get one) and I'm hoping it will be a little more organized.

Galen
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Taltarzac

And I thought everyone in TV went to bed by 10:30pm. :joke:
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 AM
mcelheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Who wants to come to my BYOB NYE party?? I hired "Genie" to dance on the "free" tables
Handie :joke:
I want to come to your party! Can I bring my very pretty single 27 year old daughter?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot01

Since I am still working (unlike my very lucky retired hubby), we cannot move to TV yet. We own a villa and come many times during the year...one time being the week between Christmas and New Years. Our very good friends join us for NYE then stay on renting our villa for the winter months. In the past, we would take the golf cart, packed with food and drinks, and celebrate NYE at the square (picnic style from our cart) and dance the night away. We had plans of doing that again this year although we were going to get there early in the morning and set up a table with chairs on the square. However, it sounds like we lost out renting a space and I'm disappointed that we weren't informed of this change ahead of time. We would have tried to reserve a spot via phone or mail had we been notified in advance. I'm sure there are other out of town homeowners in the same predicament as we are now and it would have been nice had TV mailed notices to all the homeowners, whether living locally or at a distance. We always looked forward to NYE at the square and now I'm so sad at what has been done. :'( Are there any other NYE celebrations going on at other locations in TV?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

We are going to Hilton Head for New Year's Eve. Hell will freeze over before I pay anything for a table at what'ssupposedtobefree for us old retired villagers. Besides, it's crowded and who needs that? Why go somewhere where you can't move...this is THE VILLAGES and not Times Square. So, I elect not to be :edit:..and, frankly, I elect not to care. Like someone said, we are retired. We long ago gave up crowds at New Year's and have for many years had a fantastic dinner party, best wines & champagnes, with good friends..We dress for dinner with tuxedos, etc. Next morning, we all walk on the beach and have a mimosa breakfast overlooking the ocean. :joke: To each his and her own....but we enjoy a little elegance and a nice start to the New Year. ;D
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 PM

iaudit: I agree with you. Find something else to do. But if you're upset about the "entertainment" people making rules for everybody, stand together and say your peace, peacefully. Write those letters, make those phone calls. Otherwise, control will be negated to those you push others for it. If I lived there, and I hope to some day soon, I would do as above. Dang, I'd be afraid to go to NYE at the square; sounds like a riot may break out. I'm relatively young and that ---- doesn't sound like a fun night to me at all. Hell would freeze over before I set up tables and chairs the morning of !!

iaudit ~ I live about 30 miles south of Bethlehem right on the Delaware river. It's a small world, for sure. Can't wait to come for my lifestyle preview. Any suggestions about the best time to come?? Love the board. Glad to see Donna Lee back!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 PM

To Oshunluva,

About your statement that the Morse "whatever" should intervene for the residents. Surely you have got to be kidding (sorry about being negative to you). However, the developer is all about money, and more and more money and nobody but nobody can stop him. We have been here five years and soooooooooooo much has changed for the negative. Hopefully the Morse family will finish the development and move out.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 AM

jerseygirl008

I will be in Bethlehem until December 25, going to my brother-in-law for Christmas day and then leaving that night to begin the journey to TV. Plan on being there until beginning of May. They are calling for ice and snow this weekend in Pa and NJ.

We just bought our ranch in April 07 and have been there for the summer (very hot and humid) and also the end of September, beginning of October. Much nicer weather then. Would definitely pick anytime but June through September for your preview.

We were in Saraosta last March, decided to take a ride up to see the Villages, spent the day riding around with one of the sales reps (no pressure whatsoever) and put a bid in on a resale the next day. It was accepted and made the decision for my wife and I to retire this year. I stopped working in June and she has two more days to go. Can't wait to get down there.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Seems like this is THE topic of the week as it's all everyone is talking about. Leadership of various clubs are sending out mass emails, etc. I would be interested in where Skip is getting his info about the squares being owned by the developer. I ask because our government is the CDD's. There must be some lawyers out there that can shed some light on this. Was this approved at a CDD meeting? How can the developer unilaterily charge for space on a public street? It would be like me charging for space in Leesburg to watch the 4th of July parade. Of course, if Skip's info is correct then what I just said is moot. In any case, it IS all about more money...for them. I would suggest everyone just boycott the place, but it's too late for that if it's sold out. I've said this before and I'll say it again, "Pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered!" Maybe we should emulate the Boston Tea Party and dump golf balls into Lake Sumter!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Been here nine years----and still love it!!!!!!
Whoever does not like it here should not live here.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2b
Been here nine years----and still love it!!!!!!
Whoever does not like it here should not live here.
Hope, I think we all agree TV is the best place EVER!! :bigthumbsup:

After all, that is why we're all here. ;D But .. I don't think it hurts to discuss a few things which occasionally we find absolutely wonderful, or frustrating, or just information worth exchanging. I think we've formed an amazing TOTV community and some of us have become friends. Just because we don't always think everything is perfect, that doesn't mean we should leave TV! I would hate to see this exchange of ideas and information stifled in any way. 040

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.